"Extra" buttons on HP MCE remote (1 Viewer)

Dr Forinor

Portal Pro
December 21, 2015
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
So we need someone to reply to say they have used the MP Eject, to see if it actually works?

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In the meantime you can try that Sharp Display Manager I mentioned.

upload_2016-1-18_21-18-10.png

upload_2016-1-18_21-20-28.png

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    So we need someone to reply to say they have used the MP Eject, to see if it actually works?
    I have been developing a revised definition file for the Centarea HID recently, and the Ortek remote has some spare buttons, so I thought that I would try defining the asterisk button to be "EjectCD". Sadly it did not work -- nothing happens. :(

To eliminate the possibility that there is a mistake in my Centarea HID file, I changed from that to Generic HID, and defined the "Aspect Ratio" button on my WMC-compatible remote so that it issued the "EjectCD" command. Sadly, that didn't work either. :( :( I know from previous use that the "Aspect Ratio" button is recognised by the Generic HID, so it must be related to the "EjectCD" function.

@Stéphane Lenclud any ideas? Does this need to be raised as a bug? (I was using MP 1.12, but I think that @Dr Forinor is now using MP 1.13 and has the same problem.)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have been developing a revised definition file for the Centarea HID recently, and the Ortek remote has some spare buttons, so I thought that I would try defining the asterisk button to be "EjectCD". Sadly it did not work -- nothing happens. :(

To eliminate the possibility that there is a mistake in my Centarea HID file, I changed from that to Generic HID, and defined the "Aspect Ratio" button on my WMC-compatible remote so that it issued the "EjectCD" command. Sadly, that didn't work either. :( :( I know from previous use that the "Aspect Ratio" button is recognised by the Generic HID, so it must be related to the "EjectCD" function.

@Stéphane Lenclud any ideas? Does this need to be raised as a bug? (I was using MP 1.12, but I think that @Dr Forinor is now using MP 1.13 and has the same problem.)

I did not know MP had this eject functionality so I never used it. Is there not some place in the config where you have to define the drive letter for your optical drive?

Also it's not really an MP function since it's something you need to be able to use even when MP is not running. My HTPC needed that cause the eject button of the slot-in drive is not accessible and always going to explorer is a pain. So I implemented that in my Sharp Display Manager. If I was to add this functionality to MP I would put it in MP Tray.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\InputDeviceMappings\Microsoft MCE.xml"
    I have the exact same remote but that path does not exist for me
    The folder "C:\ProgramData\" has the hidden attribute, so "Windows Explorer" does not show it by default. You need to change the relevant Windows setting so that it shows hidden folders and files. I use a file-manager program that always shows everything, so I am afraid that I do not know how to get "Windows Explorer" to show hidden files. :(

It's possible to going to the folder by clicking on : 'User Config files' from MP configuration :)

upload_2016-1-19_0-7-4.png

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Is there not some place in the config where you have to define the drive letter for your optical drive?
    In "MP Config", "Videos" section, "Video Folders" sub-section, my CD/DVD drive is listed (I have enabled the setting "Automatically add optical disk drives").

In MP, I have the "Videos" panel set to shares view, and that lists my CD/DVD drive (and shows the name of the DVD, if one is loaded).

Some time ago I connected a USB CD/DVD drive, and then MP listed both the internal drive and the USB drive. Thinking about this prompted the following thought experiment: if both drives are loaded with disks and I press the "Eject" button on the remote, which disk is supposed to be ejected? :confused: That led me to try the following.

On the "Videos" panel in shares view, I moved the focus to the line for the CD/DVD drive, and then I pressed the "Eject" button on the remote. You can see that in this scenario there is no ambiguity as to which disk should be ejected -- it is the one with the focus -- but still nothing happened. :eek:

This seems wrong, not least because if the CD/DVD drive has the focus, the Context menu does show an "Eject" choice, and that choice works! (y) (If the DVD drawer is open, the Context menu also shows a "Load" choice, and that choice works too (y).)

Perhaps the "Eject" function on the remote control is something that worked once upon a time, but which stopped working some unknown number of releases ago. :(

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If the DVD drawer is open, the Context menu also shows a "Load" choice, and that choice works too
    Interesting maybe I should take a look at the implementation as I was struggling to code this myself :)

Perhaps the "Eject" function on the remote control is something that worked once upon a time, but which stopped working some unknown number of releases ago. :(
    Since there was no default binding for those we can assume it got very little testing.

Dr Forinor

Portal Pro
    December 21, 2015
    Home Country
    This seems wrong, not least because if the CD/DVD drive has the focus, the Context menu does show an "Eject" choice, and that choice works! (y) (If the DVD drawer is open, the Context menu also shows a "Load" choice, and that choice works too (y).)

Yes,that works perfect for me, but still not what I want, as the button on the remote doesn't work :LOL:

tony72

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2009
    Home Country
    England England

Yes, I think that may be the case. When I started this thread however long ago, the mapped eject button definitely worked as expected. I did notice that it had stopped working a while back with my system, but as I don't often use optical discs, I had no clue when it had stopped working. I couldn't figure out what was wrong, and I didn't want to file a bug report without knowing what version it had occurred in (if it is a bug), so I was at some point going to install some old versions on a test machine to try and figure that out, never got around to it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom