Extremely Slow and Erratic Viewing / Changing Channels (1 Viewer)

mastyman

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 1, 2010
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi

OS = Windows 10 Pro x64.
    Mediaportal 1.15 - Mediaportal Client and Mediaportal Server on same machine - Intel Core i5 7600, 16GB Ram, 256B SSD.
    HD Homerun HDHR4-2DT on New Zealand - Auckland Freeview. UHF (using latest hdhomerun_windows_20161119 drivers)

I recently wiped and reinstalled from scratch, this machine to Windows 10. it was working perfectly on Windows 8 previously with Mediaportal 1.13 on same tuner.
    when i load and change channels via the mediaportal client, its extemely slow, sometimes it can take the 5 seconds, sometimes 15 seconds.

before the wipe and clean reinstall, would take 2-3 seconds. - i setup the MP tv server from scratch i didnt export / import any settings from old install

If i use the Preview feature in the mediaportal tv server app viewing the channels, this is almost instant and works fine. unlike viewing via the MP client

I have tried my usual ramdrive and a standard HDD for timeshifting, makes no difference to the channel loading/changing delays

in the tvsrerver logs, i can see the below.

[2017-02-14 10:05:37,236] [Log ] [7 ] [INFO ] - subch:0 set pmt grabber pmt:0 sid:516
    [2017-02-14 10:05:37,236] [Log ] [7 ] [DEBUG] - TimeShifter.OnAfterTune: resetting audio/video time
    [2017-02-14 10:05:37,236] [Log ] [7 ] [DEBUG] - WaitForPMT: Waiting for PMT 0
    [2017-02-14 10:05:47,238] [Log ] [7 ] [DEBUG] - WaitForPMT: Timed out waiting for PMT after 10.0018422 seconds. Increase the PMT timeout value?
    [2017-02-14 10:05:47,238] [Log ] [7 ] [DEBUG] - Setting to 0 to search for new PMT.
    [2017-02-14 10:05:47,239] [Log ] [7 ] [INFO ] - tvcard:FreeSubChannel: subchannels count 1 subch#0
    [2017-02-14 10:05:47,240] [Log ] [7 ] [INFO ] - tvcard:FreeSubChannel :0 - is timeshifting (skipped)
    [2017-02-14 10:05:47,241] [Log ] [7 ] [INFO ] - card2:HTPC 3 0
    [2017-02-14 10:05:47,242] [Log ] [7 ] [DEBUG] - CardReservation.RemoveTuneTicket: removed reservation with id=3, tuningdetails=DVBT:tv:Mediaworks TV3 Plus 1 Freq:570000 ONID:8746 TSID:29 SID:1302 PMT:0x12E FTA:True

a 10 second delay there, but i dont understand what it means or why its happening.

i have attached the mediaportal tv server logs loading a channel, changing a channel showing the above delay

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Good to see a fellow Kiwi around here. :)

a 10 second delay there, but i dont understand what it means or why its happening.
    Well, there's nothing wrong with your tuning parameters, so I figure it has to be some kind of tuner or network configuration issue.

For a start, please check that you've configured MediaPortal as the HDHR's "main application". The setting is (or used to be) in HDHR Setup -> application tab. Also make sure that TV Server (TVService.exe and SetupTv.exe) are configured with the requisite network access in any security software (firewalls etc.) that you run.

If neither of those things help, try changing the HDHR tuners' "preferred network provider" setting from "generic" to "DVBT" in TV Server Config. You can find that setting as described here:
    TV Servers - MediaPortal 1 - MediaPortal Wiki

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Note that your problems aren't necessarily confined to the server side. I've only commented on the server because you only provided server log files. Various client settings can also affect channel changing speed and reliability.

mastyman

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 1, 2010
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi
    yep (dan from geekzone) - was hoping you would reply been a kiwi dev :)

oddly, switching the 2 turners from generic to DVT like you suggest - acually breaks it entirely, cant tune any channel.. i had to put them both back to generic

for a test, i turned off the windows firewall (although it seems like this shouldnt be the case at all, it does work, its just slow switching loading/channels, and it will preview just fine in the TV server configuration app. weirdly it does seem to preform better. i find this hard to accept currently tho, all the MP server apps are allowed, the network is on private, preview works perfectly

i need to play a bit more than i will post full logs!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    oddly, switching the 2 turners from generic to DVT like you suggest - acually breaks it entirely, cant tune any channel.
    That's not completely unexpected. Some tuners work fine with both values; others only work properly with one or the other (...which is why I suggested trying it). Returning both tuners to the "generic" setting is the right thing to do if "DVBT" doesn't work.

and it will preview just fine in the TV server configuration app.
    That's exactly what's causing me to suspect that you may have problems on the client side.

The full Watchdog log files are really needed to progress further now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom