Fanart Handler Plugin v3.0.9.000 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Then we need to enforce things and remove any plugin from repo when there is no code available. I could even think of a robot doing this...
    That would remove all plugins that aren't actively developped anymore, but still work (which is not what we want). Most of the time the sourcecode is available, just in this 1 case we have a plugin that's pretty well integrated into MP and skins (because of the beauty it does), and we don't have the source code.

I did have a chat with the Titan Team a while back about this 'issue', and according to the skin devs the Fanart could potentially be handled with a multi-image control.

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    That would remove all plugins that aren't actively developped anymore, but still work (which is not what we want).
    Pardon me? Actively developed or not - the source code is there and therefore it would and should not be removed.

We can continue to discuss this forever. All I am saying is that as a process-oriented person I would like to see a more robust process used. It is very clear that at some point every plugin developer will pull out to do something else. If at this moment no public source code is available things will get difficult, even if it is just the version check that stops the plugin from running when used under a higher MePo version number.

@Edalex: Imagine seco stopping his efforts for Rockstar. As soon as Spotify changes its webfront and/or API it would not be functional anymore.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Pardon me? Actively developed or not - the source code is there and therefore it would and should not be removed.
    My bad. You are correct ;)

But i think that we're putting too much pressure on the 'system', simply because Fanart Handler is a heavy used plugin.
    I can't recall other heavy used plugins that went the same way.
    Btw, FH is still working fine here with the latest version.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Btw, FH is still working fine here with @Sebastiii 's latest version.
    I know, but it gets me back to "process". Fortunately there is Seb who sacrifices his precious time for such things. At the same time - pardon my English - it sucks to have to go and find binaries somewhere in the forum after you happen to have reinstalled a system but forgot to take notes of all these manual things.

Also, not everybody is as experienced as you and I are. We should at least exchange the non-functional repo versions with patched bins.

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    I download source from SVN, run MS Visual C# 2010 Express, try to compile ... And get a bunch of errors in the code. Maybe I doing something wrong?

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    it sucks to have to go and find binaries somewhere in the forum after you happen to have reinstalled a system but forgot to take notes of all these manual things.
    cross posting with my edit ;)

Updated my previous post, i'm using this version, which is were you would expect it to be ;)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It is not safe to publish sources of such plugins sometimes.
    Not sure what you mean. Anyway...
    Also sometimes code is so ugly so it's a shame to show it [emoji20]
    As an industry person I can tell you that any 80% solution that I can realize now is to be preferred over a 100% perfection that comes in two years. How many MePo users will dive into the source code, make a judgement and talk about it? Let people think what they want. I am programming myself, usually things develop over time and then comes the point where you say to yourself "what a crappy thing", but there is no time nor real interest to make things better. 80% and working is all that we need.[DOUBLEPOST=1415797603][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Updated my previous post, i'm using this version, which is were you would expect it to be ;)
    That's the FH2 cul8er version. My understanding has been that it's not working out-of-the-box and for this reason Seb patched it. Am I getting something wrong here?

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Not sure what you mean. Anyway...
    API could be unofficial and taken from mobile client's reverse engeneering... Site-scrapping is always against site's terms of service...

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    it sucks to have to go and find binaries somewhere in the forum after you happen to have reinstalled a system but forgot to take notes of all these manual things.
    cross posting with my edit ;)

Sure the official FanartHandler works fine for cycling through fanarts etc, but as far as I know it fails for downloading music fanarts. I don't know if thats true because I am not using this feature myself.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom