fanart.tv api v3 (1 Viewer)

Kode

Portal Member
April 26, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Not sure where to post this, so feel free to move this to the right place.

Can any devs that use the fanart.tv API please consider moving to the new version, docs can be found here: http://docs.fanarttv.apiary.io/ it's a lot less resource intensive for us, where the old API can handle about 50 requests a second the new API can handle about 1000 requests a second for the same data but with a LOT less cpu overhead.

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Guys, I would love to test this.... (y)
    From what I see, movies can be handled by tmbd or imdb. Might help with all my naming labels
    As for 50 requests to a possible 1000 requests per second, I would love to see what this does do my DSL when working on all my music :p

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I think I've registered at fanart.tv years before, but never started work on the API. Maybe someone likes to contribute a C# library ;)

Kode

Portal Member
    April 26, 2011
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well I know moving-pictures uses the API (one of the biggest still on the old API), the new API has a slightly different output which should make it a lot easier to integrate.

If anyone has any questions please let me know.

As for 50 requests to a possible 1000 requests per second, I would love to see what this does do my DSL when working on all my music :p

The output is gzip compressed so for example the output for Thor once compressed is 1.8KB * 1000 (requests a second) * 8 (bytes to bits) = around 14.4mbit/s

That is just on a single low powered VPS though, I have been unit testing it to get performance up and allow us to scale up as demand requires.

There is still extra work to do, I need to investigate HAproxy, but the deployment of the new API has been a great success so far.

A couple of months ago couchpotato started using our API (the old version) and tripled the traffic to the API, the old API couldn't handle it and load was constantly around 40 (approx 500%-1000% load) and that was with 2 seperate dedicated servers handling the load, I got them to move to the new API, now all the traffic is running off the VPS I set up for unit testing and it isn't breaking a sweat.

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    Thanks Kode for the hint and Morph for clarification.
    I already thought I am blind because I didn't find any link to FanArt.TV in the MP2 codebase :D
    The new APIv3 looks very clean - but I guess we first need to finish our rework with respect to MetadataExtractor priorities before it makes sense to add another online MDE. And there is also more need for a local nfo-MDE currently.
    I've taken it on my todo list...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom