FASTER music/movie browsing and DB access (1 Viewer)

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Why would you do this? As it is lightning fast there are no random access times..
    Although you could run the shutdown and startup-scripts manuelly.

htpcNoob

Portal Pro
    January 23, 2005
    Yes. I see no point in defragging a ramdisk at all since it is EXTREMELY fast. It is pointless to defrag as at each boot, when the files are placed back they are stored in contiguous blocks without any fragmentation.

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Reading this one and a half year later I realize that we have almost every feature regarding intelligent Thumb caching which was mentioned here :)
    The how-to is still a way to go and with the flexible MediaPortalDirs.xml you can easily re-locate specific dirs without "junction".

idioteque

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I agree and a backup routine incase of power failure :) , like a scheduled task running in the background backing up the ram drive, the smart way, only adding changed files, and thus skipping the already backuped ones

scooper750

April 25, 2006
    Why

Added my startup.bat to the startup scripts. It runs partially (it creates the database directory), but that's about it. It doesn't create the other directories or copies the files to the ramdisk. When I execute the startup.bat manually, it works fine. Help!!

fairchild

Portal Member
    August 2, 2006
    even better.. use Disk Cache, Hybrid Disk Cache and RamDisk

it automatically saves a copy on your HDD so you dont have to worry about the backup scripts, once the junctions were setup everything works great, still testing but i currently have 600MB ramdisk for all the thumbs, database, cache and log folders.

with this program they claim you can have up to 512GB of ramdisk... haha

well anyways this app breaks the 32mb barrier and autobackup/restore of files

Tirade

Portal Member
    January 22, 2008
    I am about to try to set this up but my collections is pretty large so I have a quick question.

My DB is about 50MB so that wont be an issue to place on the ramdisk, however my thumbs folders are quite large.

Thumbs\Music\Folder - 192MB
    Thumbs\Music\Albums - 486MB

Which folder should I place on the RAMDISK? Its the initial access thats really slow (around 20-30seconds) or anytime I switch back to the main list (around 5-8 seconds).

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I am about to try to set this up but my collections is pretty large so I have a quick question.

My DB is about 50MB so that wont be an issue to place on the ramdisk, however my thumbs folders are quite large.

Thumbs\Music\Folder - 192MB
    Thumbs\Music\Albums - 486MB

Which folder should I place on the RAMDISK? Its the initial access thats really slow (around 20-30seconds) or anytime I switch back to the main list (around 5-8 seconds).

You should "group" your views more specific then. In addition it would help to lower the thumb quality.

Tirade

Portal Member
    January 22, 2008
    Explain how to "group my views"

All of my tags use Album Artists field which I understand is not supported yet (I would need to mass retag eveything to use the Band field), so I am not able to sort by Artist correctly, also I am missing a lot of tag informatin so I would never sort by Genre. I really just want to sort by Folder, so can I just do the ramdrive for the Folder images?

The reason my folder size is so large is not because of image quality but because there is almost 5000 CD's. My screen is a 1920X1080 TV so I can not go too low on the image size.

What is your advice?

Edit: see my thread here for more detailed info on my problem

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/support-101/definately-confused-need-some-serious-guidance-36100/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom