[solved] - Fatal Error 0x80070643 during MP2 installation

Discussion in 'General' started by geotwticher, October 20, 2019.

1. geotwticher

geotwticher Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Australia Australia
    Show System Specs
    I get a Fatal Error 0x80070643 during MP2 installation on Windows 10, "Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services", which I do.

I have tried many things:
    • Removed the previous version completely
    • Removed ServerMWC
    • Run CCleaner Free
    • Confirmed that Windows is up to date and there are no failed updates
    • Confimed that my user has permission to "log on as a service" in Edit Group Policy
    • .net is up to date
    • run .net repair too, but that didn't help
    The MP2 installation log file is attached, and a picture of the error. However, I think the error is misleading, because as I said above it appears the user does have permission to do this.The problem does appear to be something to do with being unable to start a system service, but whatever the problem its it doesn't appear to be directly related to privileges.

It appears to be a Windows error, but is specific to MP2 installation. I am not having any other problems with the computer, including that I am able to install and remove other software without any problem, which makes it appear like it is something specific to MP2.

Ideas?

Thanks,

John

Attached Files:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. HTPCSourcer
    • Team MediaPortal
    • Administrator

HTPCSourcer MP2 Product Manager

Ratings:
    +2,408 / 22
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Did you use the Windows functionality to unpack the installer? If yes, did you tick the "allow access" in the file properties before unzipping?

4. geotwticher

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Australia Australia
    Show System Specs
    I can't find any "Allow Access" optioin in File Properties in Windows 10 for MediaPortal2_2-2-2.zip

Given that the user is an Administrator, exactly what would option do anyway?

The extracted file executes fine and seems to progress a long way through installation before failing

5. HTPCSourcer
    • Team MediaPortal
    • Administrator

Ratings:
    +2,408 / 22
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    I refer to a Windows functionality that limits the privileges of a file that was downloaded from the internet. You can check this for yourself by downloading any file, then right-click on it and check whether at the bottom - next to the archive and delete protect check box - there is an additional text about security.

The problem that you describe may be due to such limitations set by Windows. If this is not the source of the issue, the execute the setuplogging.bat instead of the exe and upload the log that it will create.

6. geotwticher

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Australia Australia
    Show System Specs
    Thanks. In my version of Win10, there is a security option there, but the wording has changed to a checkbox to "unblock" for some reason. Oddly, this made no difference. I check the box, the security message went away, then extraction and installation all preceded as it did before.

I'd seen reference to the setuplogging.bat file, but that is not included in MediaPortal2_2-2-2 Release version downloaded from:

Download MediaPortal for free! - MEDIAPORTAL

I later found it in the prerelease/development version available further down the page (in case other people are having trouble finding it).

I ran the .bat installation from a user with Administrator privileges as before and got the same result. I have attached both of the log files that it generated.

John

Attached Files:

7. HTPCSourcer
    • Team MediaPortal
    • Administrator

Ratings:
    +2,408 / 22
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Oops. @morpheus_xx, something to look at in our current verification process of 2.2.2.

This is where the issue occurs:
    Did you ever install MP2 before? Reasons for the observed issues were:
    • A previously installed old databse that cannot be upgraded. Check C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Server\Database and delete any Datastore.s3db files. Then try again
    • A Windows that is not fully patched. Does 'Update' in Windows executes without problems?

8. geotwticher

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Australia Australia
    Show System Specs
    Thanks! That was it. Despite having completely uninstalled the previous installation of MP2 the C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Server\ and contents was still there. Once I deleted it I was able to install the latest version of MPS.

It would be helpful if the installation process was better able to cope with this situation, or at least give a more helpful error message and/or log entry.

All working now for me though!

Thanks again.

John

9. ge2301
    • Team MediaPortal

ge2301 MP2 Design

Automotive Industry
    Ratings:
    +2,357 / 2
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    @aspik
    Tagging you, because this is something we can also consider in the installer.

• Agree Agree x 1

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!