[Feature Requested] option to use existing cover and fanart jpg's (1 Viewer)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Inside my movie folder, I always like to always place a "high res" jpg file of the movie cover. using the filename of the movie as name for the jpg.
    i.e. Cars.mkv Cars.jpg

What many users don't know is that inside MyVideos, MP will then display the jpg as thumbnail/picture for the video.

Now, when importing videos into MovingPictures, it would be great to have a option to tell MovingPictures, to look for *.jpg files that have the same name as the video file, and use these jpg's as cover.

Perfect would be an additional option to let MovingPictures look for fanart in the fanarthandler folders (scraper & user def) too.

That would have reduced the work for my first import dramatically! :D

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    But it already supports this.

Granted it does make a 'copy' for the thumbs folder, but the resize setting on this can be tweaked in the advanced settings, and you need to have a really slow system for this to cause any 'slowdown'.

The setting to use can be found in MovPic config "Importer Settings" tab -> Artwork: enable the checkboxes for "Search movie folders for .... named:" and just match the way your files are named. Default support is for folder.jpg and backdrop.jpg when movie files are each in their own folder, but you can add %filename%.jpg support where %filename% matches your movie media filename. This is also explained in wiki.

PS: And then of course there is the whole off-line XBMC import method that uses existing covers, fanarts and textual details. You can generate one on your existing collection as well with the MovPicNFO plugin from forum.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I did try to find out in the wiki/manual if this possible but did not find an answer. Configuration of Moving Pictures is a *bit* complex.
    Will take a look again. Thanks!

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    btw. I used Fanarthandler to have multiple backdrops for one movie, which it would then change automatically. In moving pictures I can just define on backdrop image, is that right or am I missing something there too?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    btw. I used Fanarthandler to have multiple backdrops for one movie, which it would then change automatically. In moving pictures I can just define on backdrop image, is that right or am I missing something there too?

Yeah just one image for MovPic. It is an existing enhancement request to expand, but for right now just one. So you can indeed use FanartHandler as workaround.

Last edited:

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Nearly worked the way I expected it. :)

I have changed the Moving Pictures Importer Settings to:
    x scan movie folder for info files in the following extensions:​
    nfo;txt;xml​
    x force autoapproval based on file info details​
    x search moviefolder for coverart named: %filename%.jpg​
    x search moviefolder for backdrops named: %filename%.fanart.jpg​
    Now, I closed MP Confifuration, and moved 4 files into the monitored folder:
    Indiana Jones 1.mkv​
    Indiana Jones 1.nfo​
    Indiana Jones 1.jpg​
    Indiana Jones 1.fanart.jpg​

Then I started MP configuration -> plugins -> MovingPictures
    Then I saw that MovingPictures ran the scraper, rather than using the info provided in the nfo. As result the name of the movie was a different one, as well as description and other infos.
    cover and backdrop were nicely copied into the moving pictures thumbs folder section

Question: why did Moving Pictures not take the info from my nfo? Config wrong? NFO wrong?

HAd to zip it because nfo is not an allowed fileformat in forum for attchments. need to change that. ;)

Attachments

• Indiana Jones 1.zip
      2 KB

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    There are two ways of NFO usage.

Simple method -> only looks for a "tt(7-digits)" number, which matches the IMDb website ID system, ie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499549/

For the 'scene' alike NFO files this would be the way to go as they are not in the XBMC NFO format with XML syntax. This method is also enabled by default, but to control it open MovPic config -> "Importer Settings" tab -> "scan movie folder for info files with the following extensions". The "Force...." below it would always accept that tt-ID then, though most scraper-scripts will do that anyway if the tt-ID is a valid one.​

XBMC NFO method -> you actually have to adjust the scraper-script order to place the XBMC scraper at the top, otherwise it gets never used (unless all the other scrapers fail to find a match).

So to enable this, you have to ensure that the NFO files you have follow the XBMC NFO XML syntax structure (such as those generated by MovPicNFO or XBMC itself). MovPic config -> "Importer Settings" tab -> select 'Manually manage movie data sources.' -> use button "Movie Details Data Sources" -> enable "XBMC (Local)" and move it all the way to the top. Do the same for the cover-art and backdrop data sources if you have XBMC compatible artwork.​

The XBMC artwork extensions are not JPG, so it looks to me like you have 'scene' alike NFO files, nothing from that can be properly used as source of information, except the tt-ID, so everything that happened for you is the correct way.

But for future imports once you are happy with your library, you can use the 3rd party plugin MovPicNFO to generate XBMC compatible NFO files and then use those for a super-fast, totally off-line (re)import, which is especially handy in a stable server/client config where the server does the import and generates the XBMC data after which the clients only use the XBMC scraper to import (preventing any database corruption from sharing, etc). You then use Follw.it or Trakt methods to sync any watched flags across multiple systems (or keep them seperate in a multi-user environment).

Hope that clears it all up for ya :)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Thanks for your detailed answer RoChess!

As I mentioned before, I recently started to use MovingPictures (again). I am very happy with MovingPicture, and the Categories you can group movies in.
    But the import of a bit more than 500 was a very frustrating and time consuming process. Fanart/covers were lowres, or simply from an other movies. Movie details were in a wrong language, or also just from the wrong movie. Until I had all movies imported with cover and backdrop I liked to have, ~18 workhours gone by.

So what I am currently trying to do is find an easy way to prepare a lot of movies before thy get imported into MovingPictures. :)
    With MovingPictures ability to use nfo's and present jpg's for cover and backdrops, I started testing the Ember Media Manager yesterday. The idea is/was to have it generate the nfo and backdrop/cover jpg's. So that when I move those files into the folder MovingPictures monitors *nothing* can go wrong there. It would use all the infos I hand-picked in the Ember Media Manager.

I will try adjusting the scraper oder as you suggested. :)

*edit*
    and there I found an "Ember Media" scraper. NICE! (y) :D

Last edited:

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Have you tested this scraper? -> https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...ie-details-scraper-with-auto-grouping.100130/

Should be the best if you want to have german infos.
    I need german info for the movies that are available to my kids, and english info for those that I watch. :)
    But the biggest issue in MovingPictures is covers and fanart. From that import I did when migrating o moving pictures a few weeks ago, there was not a single backdrop/cover I was happy with. But I am very picky. :D

The Ember Media way is just perfect for my needs. I might do a video tutorial if someone is interested. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom