Ffdshow audio + ac3 filter settings for 5.1 spdif (1 Viewer)

dlthorpe

Portal Pro
January 10, 2009
I do have a couple of issues now that I have moved to this SAF, MP 1.1.0.0, with the config settings from the SAF post and this post. But to be honest im not 100% sure what the actual causes are or if these are even related to SAF etc. But just in case...

1. Some video files i play lose sync slightly with audio/video. Pausing and unpausing sometimes fixes this.

2. Now when i pause a file, the unpause seems to jump 5 seconds on. So when I unpause (whether to fix no.1 or just because) i then back it 15s to compensate!

3. First time i tied to play a WMV it only had half the audio, i had the background noise, but no vocals. This was for every WMV i played. I then changed something and the audio is fine again but i cant remember what that was now - my bad.

4. Opening a WMV file in GraphStudio shows a green box for WMA Decoder which i didnt notice before. But adding AC3Filter as post-processing in MP does give me 5.1 audio ok. Note: It wasnt this change which fixed no.3 above.

Ill try play with settings to see if i can get more of an understanding on this.

Thanks,
D.

dlthorpe

Portal Pro
January 10, 2009
Yeh, im down with that :)

Quick question to anyone. In GraphStudio, when i view a file. Can i re-point things to match the graphs i see here if mine are different and then save that codec graph as the new default for playing the media? Example, I tried to delete a codec 'box' for a movie which was an extra thing on mine. But everytime i tried to relink a pin it added that box back.

Thanks
D.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    i have read that you can create custom graphs, but i have only been able to visualise codecs in use, not change them.
    if you want to change codecs you can either, change the options in mediaportal configuration, or select the option to choose codecs based on merit values. Easiest way to edit merit values is to use Radlight filter manager (freeware), you have to relogin to windows for merit changes to take effect. Even if mediaportal is not using the option 'choose codecs based on direct show merit' changes to merit values will still have some effect. personally i would not bother trying to remove the empty filters if they are not causing any problem. i get extra codec boxes that arn't connected with some files, and they still play fine.

Thor2605

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for this tutorial!

I setted it up like you, but I get this Graph, when I'm playing a DVD with AC3-Sound!

The result is, that I don't get either Sound out of my analog output nor with optical SPDIF!

Attachments

• DVD.jpg
      DVD.jpg
      90.8 KB

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi,

I didn't test for DVDs as I always play rips. No need to use my setup anymore, as it is all integrated in to the latest saf, i recommend you just use saf rather than my guide.

Thor2605

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thank you for replying!

But in the last SAF, there isn't AC3-Filter included...?!?

Do I have to answer to the question about Passthrough with Yes or No?

PS: With your setup, I only get terrible scratches!

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    yeah, they use ffdshow for post processing, and it seems to work fine with all my movies.
    If you want to use passthrough then of course when installing saf you should select pass through -> Is that what your asking?
    I can't help with playing DVD discs, because i never play DVD discs on my HTPC anymore.
    If you really wanted to use ac3filter, you could install SAF, then install ac3filter and use that instead of ffdshow for post processing. If you have a good understanding of codecs you should be able to set it up fine, if you don't have a good understanding then i recommend default saf settings.

BTW - this graph is obviously wrong

51538d1260642339-ffdshow-audio-ac3-filter-settings-5-1-spdif-dvd.jpg

For some reason ac3filter is decoding the dvd audio then passing it to ffdshow. The intention of the gudie it should either be ac3filter only, or ffdshow then ac3filter depending on the audio type of the dvd. Also my guide was for SAF 3.47 looks like you might be using a different version of saf.

My guide was written when SAF didn't handle 5.1 AAC and also caused stuttering on some of my 720P AC3 rips, this has all been fixed in latest saf.

I recommend to just use latest SAF beta (unlocked) on a clean install without any codecs.

Here is something I don§t understand when looking at your system tab screenshot of AC3 Filter. On tab 'System' of the AC3filter configuration, you say "We don't want ac3filter to load when ffdshow audio is active, therefore SPDIF is unticked".
    This implies that if you want to use SPDIF over AC3Filter, you have to untick SPDIF at 'Use AC3Filter for' in AC3filter config. Thats a bit contradictory...
    You also have LPCM in both AC3filter config (ticked on 'System' tab)and ffdshow config enabled(libmad codec), why is that?
    I generally don't understand the first part of the 'System' tab of AC#filter config anyway. Why can you tick both AC3/DTS AND SPDIF? AC3 and DTS have to USE SPDIF right? Why can it here both be chosen?
    And what kind of audio is 'DVD'?
    Hope someone can explain this to me better because I'm a bit lost here :)

Ahh that is AC3FILTER INPUT

I don't want it to input spdif signal

Example 5.1 AAC audio

FFDSHOW decodecs then converts to SPDIF output
    I don't need ac3filter to load after ffdshow in this example in the codec chain.

Thor2605

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    OK thanks!

I have SAF beta unlocked installed...

So I will use my image tomorrow! Thanks alot!

Is there any difference to give out a Downmixed-AC3-Audio out to the analog Sound-Device or should I search a solution for changing to the right audiostream?

I want to use for Live-TV normally my TV in stereo, but sometime I want to see films in 5.1-Dolby.... So do I have to switch the audio-stream or is there no difference to the downmixed AC3?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Not sure exactly when you mean by downmixed ac3? Where is this downmix setting?
    AC3 usually is 5.1, downmixed is stereo, there is a difference right there! =)

AFAIK: There are no good solutions for using SPDIF and 2Ch Analog audio at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom