ffdshow upscaling (1 Viewer)

eetaylog

Portal Pro
March 6, 2007
South London
Home Country
England England
Ive never really played around with ffdshow as ive been very happy with the picture quality on my htpc, but after seeing some upscaled dvds on a mates PS3 im thinking of having a play around with it to see if i can get some improvements.

Does anyone else use ffdshow for upscaling, and if so, what settings do you use as theres sooo many!!!

frenzy

Portal Pro
April 29, 2008
Home Country
France France
I upscale my dvdrips and SDTV with ffdshow at horizontal 1280(no need to set it at 1920) with no aspect ratio correction. I got two profiles set in ffdshow, 1 for (divx,xvid,dx50) and one for MPEG2 (dvd's and TV).
The reason is that the filters have a different effect on mpeg and .avi files. So for avi files I use post-processing right before resizing and the I resize with spline and blur luma at ~0.40. I add mplayer noise at 9. With mpeg I use deinterlacing before resizing, I resize with lanczos at 3 taps and add luma blur at ~.50.
Then I add noise at 5 and tick the interlace box in settings(this will make the picture resize keeping original aspect ratio when switching channels).
Subs filter goes after resizing, deinterlacing and post-processing goes before resizing and blur and sharpen go after resizing before subs.

However you have to experiment as different systems need different settings. Another way to go is to use the specific filters for blur (blur & NR) and sharpen and not the ones contained in resize settings, but then your cpu rockets skyhigh (in my system I can't use both without dropping frames).

A third way to go is to make an avisynth script and resize with that but I can't script with avisynth more than the basic stuff, so I haven't even tried.

PS
I think you've posted in the wrong section

eetaylog

Portal Pro
March 6, 2007
South London
Home Country
England England
^^:eek:

now i remember why i didnt bother getting too involved :D

thanks for the reply, ill have a play around with it tonight. Its mainly for my DVD rips and TV.

frenzy

Portal Pro
April 29, 2008
Home Country
France France
would you like me to upload the two profiles to give you a head start?
I got two old ones here but they mustn't be that different from the ones I use now.

eetaylog

Portal Pro
March 6, 2007
South London
Home Country
England England
yes please that would be great. My CPU is currently running at mid 40 degrees though, do you think that the settings would make it run hotter?

frenzy

Portal Pro
April 29, 2008
Home Country
France France
It's unlikely. I'm at 25-35% load with these settings. Just remember to tick the autoload profile box in profiles and Presets when you import them.

Attachments

• ffdshowprofiles.rar
    30.6 KB

eetaylog

Portal Pro
March 6, 2007
South London
Home Country
England England
nice one, ill give them a try later.

do you notice much difference in quality compared to MPV decoder? Got any screenshots?

eetaylog

Portal Pro
March 6, 2007
South London
Home Country
England England
Brilliant thanks.

One last question..my tv uses bob as ints deinterlacing method but i notice that you use 'Linear Blending' in your settings, so do i need to change this to 'DGBob'?

frenzy

Portal Pro
April 29, 2008
Home Country
France France
I'm not sure I understand the question. Your TV doesn't deinterlace, your decoder does that. Either ffdshow or MPV is it not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom