Completed First Antec HTPC build (1 Viewer)

Fastsonic

Portal Member
February 8, 2008
Aschaffenburg
Home Country
Germany Germany
Thanks for the Info bigflause.

Another Question, little bit Off Topic.

I ordered my new AV Receiver Yesterday. It's a Denon AVR-2809. Is the Gigabyte Mainboard able to send the DolbyHD+DTS-HD Signal trough the HDMI Port or do i need a Asus Xonar Card?

Thanks

Andy

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thanks for the Info bigflause.

Another Question, little bit Off Topic.

I ordered my new AV Receiver Yesterday. It's a Denon AVR-2809. Is the Gigabyte Mainboard able to send the DolbyHD+DTS-HD Signal trough the HDMI Port or do i need a Asus Xonar Card?

Thanks

Andy

Your motherboard has it all! Seems a very nice motherboard to me, very flexible and with all the bells and whistles you need for a perfect Full HD video and audio experience, no need for a seperate GFX and/or seperate Audio card.

So the short answer to your question is YES!. Check you Motherboard manual page 19 for how to get it :) (I downloaded it here: GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - Manual Download)

BUT, looking at the specs of your Denon, it seems it only supports HDMI Video, it doesnt mention HDMI Audio at all, but that doesnt matter it only is better I think, because your denon has 5 Optical audio in ports (!), so you should use that in stead, is also better I think..

Just connect the Motherboard Optical Output to one of your Denon Optical in ports (Also called S/PDIF, or Toslink.. you need to buy an optical Toslink cable, depending on the length these are just a few bucks. Maybe one is included with your Denon receiver) Then you can send all digital Audio signals directly over the S/PDIF, so they are decoded in the Denon, in stead of the on board audiocard. You must set all directshow filters and audio hardware to use the S/PDIF (powerDVD configuration-audio; Mediaportal configurator-directshow filters; Audiodecoders (like ffdshow or AC3filter) set to use S/PDIF output "as is" Rate "as is" and Format as "PCM 16bit" or higher if your denon supports that and set AC3 and DTS to passthrough (untouched); Realtek Audio driver to be set to use the Digital Output (right click the speaker in the system tray, and then audio devices, rightclick Realtek Digital Output, make sure it is turned on, and use the test utility to to find the best output, dont be worried about the "LR Digital audio", this is because SPDIF is allways a PCM digital stream, which in fact is some kind of stereo signal, but in this PCM signal the DTS or AC3 (7.1 or 5.1) is embedded, and can be decoded in your denon.)

Seems a little complicated as you read this, but when you are setting up your system, you will discover how it all works.

I have read some reviews about the denon, however the audio quality is perfect, it is very complicated to set up, so please take your time, and find some forums or whatever to help you with the Denon setup.

Connect the HDMI directly to your TV if possible, the denon doesn't do anything with it, so no need to connect it to the denon first.

Lots

clobber

Portal Pro
    January 12, 2008
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm considering buying the "Antec Fusion Remote" HTPC case too. Is the IR and Remote compatible with Media Portal?

Fastsonic

Portal Member
    February 8, 2008
    Aschaffenburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    clobber

Yes, should work. See the post from kszabo (2008-11-17 23:43), there you see how to set up.

Lotsofjazz

Thanks for your great Instructions. I have already a HTPC connected through SPDIF to an older Onkyo THX Receiver. It works fine, all Formats PCM/DTS/AC3. But i read in a other Thread, the SPDIF Port is not able to send DTS-HD an AC3-HD, im confused now!?!

Thanks

Andy

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    @clobber

Yes, should work. See the post from kszabo (2008-11-17 23:43), there you see how to set up.

@lotsofjazz

Thanks for your great Instructions. I have already a HTPC connected through SPDIF to an older Onkyo THX Receiver. It works fine, all Formats PCM/DTS/AC3. But i read in a other Thread, the SPDIF Port is not able to send DTS-HD an AC3-HD, im confused now!?!

Thanks

Andy

Ow, that is new to me, I googled on it and you seem to be right. Nice to have learned something new today :)

SPDIF cannot be used to transport DTS-HD and/or Doby Digital HD (meaning 6.1 or 7.1 channels) for that you need HDMI 1.3, which your motherboard supports, Also your Denon supports it!, so this is the way to go!
    I found a Honkong Denon website with a manual download, I suppose the german denon is the same with 4 or 5 hdmi inputs and one hdmi out for the TV or monitor

Denon Hong Kong - AVR-2809

Here I found out about DTS HD and Dolby Digital True HD:

Do we really need HDMI 1.3 for the new audio formats? [Text View] - AVS Forum (if you read 'player' here you should replace that with your 'HTPC'..)

Lots

Fastsonic

Portal Member
    February 8, 2008
    Aschaffenburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Started to build my new Case Yesterday :D

First Problem, the Samsung HD won't work with the Gigabyte MB :mad: Vista ist not able to finish the Setup. Changed the HD, now it works fine.

The Antec is great, looks very fine and the Display is not as bad as the most Threads say . . .i like it :)

But, the 2x 120mm Fan's . . . wtf. Much too loud :mad: These 2 Fans are the greatest shit i ever saw, why they don't put in some Fans i can controll through the Mainboard . . . this sucks. Ordered some new good Fans yesterday! The Airflow looks good, CPU is running without Fan @ 32 Degrees (Ninja Mini).

Andy

ShoopNL

Portal Pro
    January 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

First Problem, the Samsung HD won't work with the Gigabyte MB :mad: Vista ist not able to finish the Setup. Changed the HD, now it works fine.

The Antec is great, looks very fine and the Display is not as bad as the most Threads say . . .i like it :)

But, the 2x 120mm Fan's . . . wtf. Much too loud :mad: These 2 Fans are the greatest shit i ever saw, why they don't put in some Fans i can controll through the Mainboard . . . this sucks. Ordered some new good Fans yesterday! The Airflow looks good, CPU is running without Fan @ 32 Degrees (Ninja Mini).

Andy
    On my these case fans have switches with 3 positions (low, midium, high). I have put them on low, then they are quiet and still cool enough.
    You kan chage the switch while your case running.

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

Andy

If the display works, it is nice, yes.. but it is the behavior of the display and integrated IR receiver that is as uncompattible with other remotes as possible, that makes it a piece of crap. Just point your A/V remote or TV remote on it and you will see what I mean.

Weard your Samsung drive did not work, mine works fine, but I have another MoBo, it might be broken, and then you should send it back for warranty.. Check their website for a test utility.

These two fans have a switch to set it at a lower speed, I have set it at the lowest speed and find it acceptable (I do not hear them when watching a movie at normal conversation volume, sitting 1.5 meters away from it). No problems wit cooling. Did you try these switches?

If you like, please fill out your system details in your forum profile, allways nice to see what other people have:D

Lots

Fastsonic

Portal Member
    February 8, 2008
    Aschaffenburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Weard your Samsung drive did not work, mine works fine, but I have another MoBo, it might be broken, and then you should send it back for warranty.. Check their website for a test utility.

I don't think the MB is broken cause it works fine with my Western Digital. Maybe a new BIOS for the MB can fix the Problem with the Samsung 1TB HD, you have a 500GB Modell. Never mind . . . i will send the Samsung back to Seller.

greetz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom