Completed First Antec HTPC build (1 Viewer)

kszabo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2007
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    First Problem, the Samsung HD won't work with the Gigabyte MB :mad: Vista ist not able to finish the Setup. Changed the HD, now it works fine.

you would have set SATA mode to "native IDE" in BIOS (not AHCI). This is a known problem of these Gigabyte boards. I use a 500 GB Samsung spinpoint without problems. But I am wondering why a WD worked for you... It would have to fail also.

Fastsonic

Portal Member
    February 8, 2008
    Aschaffenburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    First Problem, the Samsung HD won't work with the Gigabyte MB :mad: Vista ist not able to finish the Setup. Changed the HD, now it works fine.

you would have set SATA mode to "native IDE" in BIOS (not AHCI). This is a known problem of these Gigabyte boards. I use a 500 GB Samsung spinpoint without problems. But I am wondering why a WD worked for you... It would have to fail also.

I tried all IDE Modes available @ BIOS Setup, everytime the same problem. Don't know why the WD works. Received the Samsung HD today, changed by seller . . i will try to Ghost the WD to the new Samsung . . hope that works.

Fastsonic

Portal Member
    February 8, 2008
    Aschaffenburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    . . i will try to Ghost the WD to the new Samsung . . hope that works.

It doesn't :( But i installed a new Vista x64 to the changed Samsung HD, now all is fine (Bios Setup is "AHCI"). Seems that the formerly Samsung HD was broken.

Finished my Case yesterday, i'm really satisfied.

Here some Impressions =>

1771682.jpg

1771683.jpg

Left side => Noiseblocker / 900rpm max
    Right Side => Papst / 1200rpm max

Controlled by Speedfan, both Fans running @ 500rpm

1771686.jpg

In the near Future, the Receiver @ Antec Case will be placed beside the TV Board.

1771684.jpg

1771685.jpg

Thx for all your help and informations!!!!

Andy

Fastsonic

Portal Member
    February 8, 2008
    Aschaffenburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    SPDIF cannot be used to transport DTS-HD and/or Doby Digital HD (meaning 6.1 or 7.1 channels) for that you need HDMI 1.3, which your motherboard supports, Also your Denon supports it!, so this is the way to go!

Hey Lots,

Sadly, the Onbard HDMI Port is not able to put out HD Sound :mad: only Stereo. After reading some Articels, i decided to buy this one . . . . .

SAPPHIRE HD 4550 512MB DDR3 PCI-E FANLESS

greetz

Andy

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    SPDIF cannot be used to transport DTS-HD and/or Doby Digital HD (meaning 6.1 or 7.1 channels) for that you need HDMI 1.3, which your motherboard supports, Also your Denon supports it!, so this is the way to go!

Hey Lots,

Sadly, the Onbard HDMI Port is not able to put out HD Sound :mad: only Stereo. After reading some Articels, i decided to buy this one . . . . .

SAPPHIRE HD 4550 512MB DDR3 PCI-E FANLESS

greetz

Andy

I dont's believe this, the manual of your motherboard (page 19) says some very different things. the specs say 7.1 audio is available and that can only go over the HDMI..so I think your settings are not correct.

http://europe.giga-byte.com/FileList/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-ma78gm-s2h_e.pdf

I have googled a bit about this, and you should try some things:

Install the latest ATI HDMI Audio device driver, available here: Realtek (accept the disclaimer and click next.. be patient, it is a very slow website)

Turn on your denon and make sure it is able to receive HDMI 7.1 audio inputs.. I have read on several sites the HDMI 7.1 audio out settings will not show if the receiving device is turned off or not set properly.

In the systems tray on the right, right click on the red realtek speaker>audio devices.. set the HDMI as default, go into the properties setting and set everything as required.

You can also right click the red realtek speaker and go into the sound manager, there you will see two tabs, one for the SPDIF and one for the HDMI out. If you click on the HDMI tab you will see the speaker layout of that moment, if all is well, there also should be the 7.1 option be available (I cant test this myself, because I do not have 7.1 capable equipment)

If you use PowerDVD to view blue ray with 7.1 audio, you must set in PowerDVD configuration the Audio configuration to use the HDMI Out and DD/DTS passthrough (default is PCM)

I hope this helps.

Lots

Fastsonic

Portal Member
    February 8, 2008
    Aschaffenburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Lots,

you're the greatest. Downloaded and installed the "ATI HDMI Audio Device" driver yesterday, and IT WORKED!!!! Short test with the Wall-E Blu-Ray was fine, DTS + AC3 is working. Fortunately i didnt't ordered the new Graphic Card so far . . . :) THX!!!!

Curious, i can't do any Setup @ the Realtek Tool . . the Tool say's HDMI Port is set to Stereo 2 Speakers . . all Options are gray'd out, but it works.

Andy

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi Lots,

you're the greatest. Downloaded and installed the "ATI HDMI Audio Device" driver yesterday, and IT WORKED!!!! Short test with the Wall-E Blu-Ray was fine, DTS + AC3 is working. Fortunately i didnt't ordered the new Graphic Card so far . . . :) THX!!!!

Curious, i can't do any Setup @ the Realtek Tool . . the Tool say's HDMI Port is set to Stereo 2 Speakers . . all Options are gray'd out, but it works.

Andy

I am glad I saved you a couple of bucks :D

HDMI does some strange things sometimes, I have seen similar reports as you did on several other forums. It also has to do with HDCP and DRM security that doesnt want us to mess around too much.

Lots

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom