[Approved] Fix to "IMDB with AKA grabber" (2 Viewers)

xvffx

Portal Pro
August 15, 2007
Home Country
Canada Canada
re: Fix to "IMDB with AKA grabber"

gotta jet, this is just a few

300 (2006) wrong cover
Darkman III Die Darkman Die (1996) no cover
Detnoator (2003) no cover

Vff

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

Being a bit lazy here, but you get the picture.

Covers either missing or incorrect, might only be wrong language.

12-07-44.png

12-07-54.png

12-08-28.png

12-08-51.png

12-09-19.png

12-09-44.png

12-10-05.png

12-10-44.png

12-10-55.png

12-11-10.png

12-11-20.png

12-11-48.png

12-12-19.png

12-12-50.png

12-13-16.png

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia

THX for info.

OK here's the fact after investigation.

1. MP searches covers from Amazon.com (which I think don't work - I didn't test that but but my opinion is that this method fails)

after

2. MP searches covers from hxxp://www.impawards.com through google which currently works partially (method takes only strict link from page like:
    "http://www.impawards.com/(?<year>\d{4})/.*?.html"

which means link must be EXACTLY like:
    hxxp://www.impawards.com/2009/avatar.html

and this fails in many occasions especially in case of foreign movies like [rec] because the link is then like hxxp://www.impawards.com/intl/Spain/..... and this automatically fails

Next in this method is conflict between IMDB and impawards concerning movie names and years:
    (in your example: Frequently asked question about time travel - IMDB,
    FAQ about time travel - impawards)

//EDIT

As I lookin now into MP code I think it only passes Movie title, not year:
    IMPawardsSearch impSearch = new IMPawardsSearch();
    impSearch.Search(CurrentMovie.Title);

so this can lead to wrong result (IE Alien from Ridley Scott gives Alien Tresspass cover --->absolute heresy :), in case that MP pass year than cover will be OK ) just try Alien without movie year with Old method from Test app.

Year can be good filter, but sometimes can fail in case of year conflict, so this is catch 22

//END EDIT

Movies or cartoons from TV doesn't have covers (like that short Madagascar cartoon).

Many covers doesn't exists on impawards but exists on IMDB (this is a place where IMDB beats impawards, but impawards beats IMDB in cover alternate design -->more covers for the same movie) so it will be a good idea to look for covers also on IMDB (like Moving Pictures) but that is what I can't do now 'cause I'm missing IMDB link for movie (cover can be easily grabbed when searching movies on IMDB but that can't be done easily without messing the Core.dll->Heart of MP1)

Just try little test application and you will see. For IMDB movie search you need 3 libraries from root of MP:

Core.dll
    Databases.dll
    Utils.dll

or just copy it to MP root directory and execute. It will not mess up your movie database or anything within MP, just helps you to see the results of searching (Movie search is a new method - for covers you can test both). Lets say it's visual interpretation how MP search movies and covers.

xvffx

Portal Pro
    August 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada

cover can be easily grabbed when searching movies on IMDB but that can't be done easily without messing the Core.dll->Heart of MP1)

you wouldn't be messing with it... just fixing it. :)

this nifty app really shows the difference with regards to more and acuate covers to chose from. I don't see any catch 22 here.

Vff

I have a tough one here.. hxxp://www.imdb.com/title/tt0313245/

back by midnight (2002)

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia

See that's what I'm talking about, default cover serach must be IMDB 'cause cover exists there, but not on impawards (as you can see on google page), and impaward can be nice addition for more covers so "no miss" new logic should be:

1. Try to find cover on IMDB - if it's there use it as default for movie, then get all you can from impawards for extra covers if user don't like that one from IMDB

else

2. If IMDB fails, get what you can from impawards

else

3. No cover

And that catch 22 :) my idea was to use year to filter results by Year, so if year from IMDB is not equal as on impawards then no results (I upload new TEST with that option), just try:

Underworld (without year and filter check) - you will get tons of covers (wrong or right)

then

Underworld 2003 (without filter check) - more or less same result

then

Underworld 2003 (with filter checked) - result is wonderful

but then change year, lets say, to 2004 (with filter checked) - no cover

I found some films with year mismatch on IMDB and impawards (The Descent, on IMDB is 2005, IMPAWARDS is 2006) so this can lead to empty covers :)

xvffx

Portal Pro
    August 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada

Deda,

what are your plans? is this something that doeable? Im wondering how the other non english scripts are coping ?

Vff

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia

For the script I can't do more for now - I repaired everything I could, maybe now is more results and auto approved conflicts but no movie can escape and it can be found from the list if it's not auto-approved-just don't use extension like DVRip R5 and like because IMDB doesn't like that :) .
    For covers I need to download all source code of MP to trace whats happening there when you press "Scan" so to see what can be easily changed but that will take a little time but I will try that because I don't use Moving Pictures and depending on My Movies (the plugin is good but for my needs it's overkill and I don't like auto-multi-genre function from Moving Pictures -->to see one movie in 10 places just because it's action-comedy-war-thriller blah blah...)

xvffx

Portal Pro
    August 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada

can't thank you enough for all your doing,
    I hope the dev could lend a hand with your questions...

anyways.. the script on the first post is the latest ?

Vff

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

For the script I can't do more for now

Yep, appreciate the limitations regarding going deeper, we need to get a Dev involved, that ain't going to happen in the next couple of days as all our windows installers are burning :)

Deda, if you think that is the best that can be done with the script, I can get it looked and tested by a broader band within the Team, sorry if this seems a bit low priority atm, but we have got our hands full witth the resources available for getting RC2 on the road.

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom