[fixed] Random TV Lockups/Client Freezes (1 Viewer)

HellFireAus

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 9, 2009
    Home Country
    This issue has been resolved. See next post.

TV Server
    MediaPortal Version: 1.0.2
    MediaPortal Skin: Blue3
    Windows Version: Vista SP2 x64
    CPU Type: Pentium D 3.00GHz
    HDD: Seagate 320GB
    Memory: 2GB DDR2
    Motherboard: Gigabyte 8I945PL-G
    Video Card: ATI 4550
    Sound Card: Onboard
    1. TV Card: Leadtek 3200H
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
    2. TV Card: K-World PC160
    2. TV Card Type: DVB-T
    MPEG2 Video Codec: PDVD9
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
    h.264 Video Codec: PDVD9
    Satelite/CableTV Provider:
    HTPC Case: Antec Fusion Max
    Cooling: Xigmatek Dark Knight
    Power Supply: Corsair 430W Modular
    Remote: iMON/Veris Remote
    TV: Sony CRT
    TV - HTPC Connection: D-Sub -> Converter -> Component

TV Client
    MediaPortal Version: 1.0.2
    MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
    Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
    CPU Type: Intel Atom N330
    HDD: WD Scorpio Black 160GB
    Memory: 2GB DDR2
    Motherboard: Zotac IONITX A Series
    Video Card: NVidia ION
    Sound Card: Onboard Realtek
    MPEG2 Video Codec: PDVD9
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
    h.264 Video Codec: PDVD9
    HTPC Case: Antec ISK-300-65
    Cooling: Heatsink Fan + External fan blowing into case for now (need to get another case fan)
    Power Supply: Zotac Supplied 65W psu
    Remote: Happuague MCE Remote (USB)
    TV: Samsung Series 4 22"
    TV - HTPC Connection: D-Sub

Connection between the server and client as follows (From the Server to the client):
    TV Server -> Ethernet -> Ethernet Switch -> Ethernet -> TP-Link 941ND Wireless N -> WirelessN -> TV Client
    All ethernet links are 100mbps. TV Client pulls files off the server at ~6MB/s (Megabytes, not bits)
    Note that i am also using 4therecord in this setup

Now that that's all out of the way. My problem is that every now and then live TV streams on the client suddenly stop. Now when they stop two possible things can happen:
    1. Only the stream stops, requiring me to go back, stop then start live tv and all is well again. For now.
    2. The whole computer freezes. Does not respond to any remote button presses, no mouse right clicks or pointer shown and cannot login via my RemotelyAnywhere connection (to remotely manage the client). This obviously tells me that the system has locked up.

Every time the picture freezes i am just hoping that the whole computer hasn't frozen.
    This also has a higher chance of happening on channel change than just normal watching, but it still happens on both situations.
    Video playback is seemingly fine, though haven't tested it to any extent.
    Codecs i am using are all from SAF - Unlocked.

I have read it could be because of the wireless connection to the client. But the way i see it is there is sufficient throughput and the connection is stable. No dropouts and have used "Inssider" to choose the wireless channel carefully. There is no other wlan near the same channel as mine. At 6MB/s roughly 48mbps (?) it should hold a decent link to play any content.

Note that the server is also a client, and that runs fine. Well from what i can tell anyway.

Logs are attached. I am suspicious of the tsreader one though, there is alot of spam in there.

Also if possible i really don't want to upgrade to MP1.1 atm as this is a live setup and many people will get pissed if their tv does not work :p

I can provide TV Server logs if necessary or get a better dump of the client logs later on

Also just a note, i have tried using the "use ts file instead of rtsp" in 4 the record and i think it helped with the crashes, but instead i had video stutter every couple of seconds. Really annoying.

Cheers for any help on this issue :)

HellFireAus

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 9, 2009
    Home Country
    Re: Random TV Lockups/Client Freezes

Thought i'd post an update to this. I have solved the problem, turns out both crashes were caused by something different.

Crash #1 where MP just stops was resolved by installing MP1.1 Beta + Latest SVN + Latest 4tr patch (Only client side, server still running 1.0.2)
    Crash #2 where the system locked up was resolved by rolling back the drivers to the wireless adapter. I noticed after every crash there was always a dns error in the system event log which led me to check this out.

This thread can now be closed/archived
    Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom