fontengine.dll testing - help needed (1 Viewer)

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I use this for six month now (fontengine.dll (MaxNumfontVertices 40000).rar) and never got a problem with it.

Do we have a patch for this? Need someone to make a GIT branch.

We have no patch but maybe it is best to talk with @Micropolis which made the changes. :)

Last edited:

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I use this for six month now (fontengine.dll (MaxNumfontVertices 40000).rar) and never got a problem with it.

Do we have a patch for this? Need someone to make a GIT branch.

We have no patch but maybe it is best to talk with @Micropolis which made the changes. :)

Could someone ( @Sebastiii ? My usual 'go to' man for things like this) liaise with @Micropolis to get a GIT branch for this? Based on the amount of testing this has clearly had, I would say it requires only minimal internal testing to be included in 1.3.0Beta.

Mark

Micropolis

Portal Pro
    July 22, 2009
    Bavaria
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi @Holzi, @Sebastiii,
    ... It is a long time but as far as I know the only change was made in https://github.com/MediaPortal/Medi...tal/Core.cpp/fontEngine/source/fontEngine.cpp line 51
    #define MaxNumfontVertices 8000 set to #define MaxNumfontVertices 40000
    correct, some days before I'd published experimental builds of different combinations for MaxNumfontVertices and MAX_TEXTURES. Today in the evening I'm looking again for the required changes, made some regression tests and inform you as soon as possible.

EDIT: in result of a feedback from the development team the parameter MAX_TEXTURES should not have any effect to correct the behavior. The parameter is probably the most important param affecting memory consumption, so it's the best solution to leave this untouched.

Cheers, Micropolis

Last edited:

Micropolis

Portal Pro
    July 22, 2009
    Bavaria
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Dear @elliottmc, @Sebastiii,
    as posted before, I had checked my changes from April 2012 again and made regression tests against different hardware configurations (HTPC with separate ATI Radeon 3650, Development machine with onboard Intel G33/G31 Express Chipset family).
    The tests has been started with iterations of the "MaxNumfontVertices" value between 15000 (minimum) and 80000 (maximum). Lower end graphic cards (like my development machine) has display problems started at 50000, the HTPC can handle all values without any issues. From my point of view, a value of 40000 is a good balance for most graphic cards and was proven by some testers before. Last but not least, this change can significantly help to fix screen corruptions or flickering issues in different MediaPortal inbuild screens and 3rd party plugins.
    Attached please find the appropriate patch file and my latest release build of fontengine.dll. If anyone wants to have a debug build, it's possible to attach this later. Before I can do this, it's required to downgrade my environment back to Visual Studio 2010.

EDIT: made more tests against Dell Latitude 630 (Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset family) and Thinkpad T61 (NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M) - same result as stated before.

Thanks to all for testing and Team MediaPortal for cooperation, cheers and best regards, Micropolis

Attachments

• Change-MaxNumfontVertices-to-40000 (Mantis bug #4061).patch
      1,008 bytes
    • fontEngine.zip
      57 KB
    Last edited:

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    If anyone wants to have a debug build, it's possible to attach this later. Before I can do this, it's required to downgrade my environment back to Visual Studio 2010.

No need for downgrade since I have created the branch in GIT (a bit early, didn't see your patch but my change was the same).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom