[confirm] Fonts in GUI are renderd with the zoom faktor set for text in Windows 7 (1 Viewer)

belcom

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 27, 2009
    Leibnitz
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Fonts in GUI are renderd with the zoom faktor set for text in Windows 7.
    This is not good for readability and can destroy the layout of the skins.

to reproduce:
    - open Control Panel
    - open Display
    - set text size to 125 or 150%
    - clear MP skin cache folder
    - open MP
    - see what you got

If someone can please confirm this.
    I don't know if this also happens under XP/Vista.

belcom.

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Yes I can confirm, It would be good if skin cache ignored windows font size.

belcom

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 27, 2009
    Leibnitz
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    just to notice:

also real time text (e.g. TV Guide, file names...) gets rendered with the zoom factor.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Belcom,

You are assuming that this is a general problem which everyone can reproduce, and therefore does not need logs.

After the amount of time I spent this weekend trying to help someone who did not provide logs, we really need ALL bug reports to have logs. I appreciate that you are a retired team member, but we need no exceptions to this.

Best wishes,

Mark

PS. Is this a bug or not? If someone has set their font size in Windows to 125%, they have presumably done it for a reason. We should not be making the decision for them that they don't want this to apply to MediaPortal (I guess I can imagine how the skin will look, so I do see your point).

Seidelin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2006
    Kgs. Lyngby
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    PS. Is this a bug or not? If someone has set their font size in Windows to 125%, they have presumably done it for a reason. We should not be making the decision for them that they don't want this to apply to MediaPortal (I guess I can imagine how the skin will look, so I do see your point).

Font's in MP are usually much larger than in windows forms. I understand why people would want to use large fonts in windows forms.
    Some controls in MP are scaled to fit the size of fonts. Also too large fonts will look weird. Imo MP should ignore this scaling.

belcom

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 27, 2009
    Leibnitz
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I didn't provide Logs because there is no "Bug" we need to search a reason for, nothing works wrong in program perspective.
    But I do think that - from user perspective - text zoom should be ignored by MP because:

- Users set their text zoom for readability in windows
    - MP is mainly a full screen application, already working with text large enough to read it from wide distance
    - Skin designers should be able to not worry about users text zoom settings
    - In the moment users can decide to have bad-readable windows or bad-readable to ugly GUI

belcom.

PS: You can go for shure that I will provide logs whenever they are needed!

da-anda

Portal Pro
    December 29, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I can confirm this and I'd also apreciate if either MP would ignore the Windows font scaling or if there would be a setting to turn it on/off. I also noticed that the second time I launch MP the font size seems to be correct. The issue occurs for me only the first time after a reboot as it seems.

Merlyn

Portal Pro
    July 8, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I had the same problem. However turning off "VMR9 Exclusive Mode" in "Configuration \ Codecs \ Video Renderer" solved it.

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    You get all sorts of a other GUI bugs with VMR9 in WinVista/Win7. So thats a no go.

Merlyn

Portal Pro
    July 8, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Fonts in GUI are renderd with the zoom faktor set for text in Windows 7

Actually it did not solve the issue after all. After a reboot (or maybe skin cache update, not sure) fonts were too big again and launching fullscreen video and stopping playback resulted again in a 1/4 GUI display... So Windows Fontscale is back to normal again :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom