For The Record - The rule-based scheduling suite (2 Viewers)

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
June 13, 2006
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Yes, this is possible, but not with the default installation. Let me explain:

It's perfectly possible to add recorder/tuners on two different machines, so in fact hook up two different TV Server installations to the core services of For The Record. But to make this really work you'll need to change the Core Services login credentials to an admin user that has full network access (by default they will be set to SYSTEM), since the UNC shares need to be accessible by the service.

You do this from the Control Panel's "services.msc".

You can always test your setup using the "Test Shares" button in the recorder/tuners panel. Of course also be sure to change one of the TV Server recorder/tuners from localhost to the machine name or IP address of the other machine.

Good luck!

Tjodleik

Portal Member
August 10, 2006
On TVServer2, what do I have to install there?
It is going to be used to watch TV and films and be the main mashine for setting the recording schedule.

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
June 13, 2006
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
OK, so on your main machine TV Server, which I'd call machine #1, but you call machine #2 apparently ;), I would install the following:

• For The Record Core Services
  • Web Access
  • MediaPortal TV Server Recorder/Tuner
  • Management Console
Go the the Services control panel on your main machine, look up the For The Record Services service and change the account on the Log On tab from Local System Account to an admin account with full network access.

On your "slave" machine, install the following:

• MediaPortal TV Server Recorder/Tuner
  • Management Console
Then use the Management Console to configure your system with two recorder/tuners: add MediaPortal TV Server twice and edit the second entry from localhost to the IP or hostname of your second machine. Test both recorder/tuners with the Ping button.

Set up the required shares (you can use the recorder/tuner's plugin setup form from TV Server's setup console). Test these shares from the Management Console with the Test Shares button.

You'll probably want to set the priority of the main server higher than that of the slave server.

Hope this is all a bit clear :) If not, let me know.

Tjodleik

Portal Member
August 10, 2006
Just to spesify my setup:

TV-Server is just hat. A server with 1 analog and a twin digital vcard.

This is the main server, with the:
* For The Record Core Services
* Web Access
* MediaPortal TV Server Recorder/Tuner
* Management Console
Istalled on.

My next PC is the TV Mashine.
It has a digital and a analog card.
This computer is connectet to the TV.
This is the main coouter for films, TV, and setting of recordings.

This last computer, you will have me to just install:

* MediaPortal TV Server Recorder/Tuner
* Management Console

We are taking the same language now??? :)

The rest of the computers will only use web to schedule recordings.

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
June 13, 2006
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Yes! :) Looks perfect! Except you will probably also install the MediaPortal GUI plugin on that second machine I guess?

Tjodleik

Portal Member
August 10, 2006
Yes, of cource... :)

More questions tomorrow, when i can test it.

But, can you more desribe the shares that is needed for your system.
What they are for, where the recordings will be, and so on....
I have not truly tested it yet... But i will this weekend.

For now i an struggling with the message "connection refuced" but i think I know where that error lies....

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
June 13, 2006
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
For the explanation of the shares check our installation guide PDF, normally they should be described there.

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Integrate Live TV with 4therecord

I am finally satisfied with the integration between ForTheTRecord and MediaPortal.

I have followed the other tip to map the buttons of my MCE remote to the new screens.

And now I have also changed my Monochrome skin to call the correct screen for TV Guide, Recorded TV and Upcoming Recordings. In other words, if I go to MyTv, I can watch the normal live TV, but when I select the TVGuide button, it calls the screen for 4therecord-tv-guide. Same with recorded tv. See attched xml file for the Monochrome skin. I only changed the "hyperlink" for the 3 buttons.

Luckily I have been using TVScheduler before, so all my recordings are already in the ForTheRecord database. If you still have old recordings, this will be a problem for you. Maybe someone can write an importer?

sunsetdk

Portal Pro
    October 18, 2005
    Nordborg
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I am finally satisfied with the integration between ForTheTRecord and MediaPortal.

I have followed the other tip to map the buttons of my MCE remote to the new screens.

how did you do this. I was looking at it yesterday, but I couldn't see how to do it for the MCE reomte. Only the Haupauge. which files did you edit and what did you change.

René

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    I am using IR Server Suite, and after a lot of struggeling, I found that I need to change MPControlPlugin.xml in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\InputDeviceMappings" - thats on XP.

If you are not using IR Server Suite, try the files in "c:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\InputDeviceMappings\defaults".

hth?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom