Forum organisation sucks! (1 Viewer)

zag2me

Portal Pro
April 11, 2006
Home Country
England England
Sorry for the title, but the organisation of the forums is really bad. It was much better before the changes.

Specifically there are far to many sub sections to check each day.

The most annoying thing is the plugins and "hot plugins" split. Who wants to click 3 times just to find a hot plugin? It just makes them harder to find. All plugins should have their own thread in the plugins section, and keep at the top if they are popular and people post in the threads.

Also the sticky threads need a refresh, lots of old material especially in the developers forum that is out of date and needs deleting.

odin318

Portal Pro
April 21, 2006
I agree that the forum is too splintered right now. I can understand the need for "hot plugins" but I think the forum needs some streamlining.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Specifically there are far to many sub sections to check each day.
    sounds like you have not found the "New Posts" button yet :p

the forum is simply too huge to put "everything" into a single forum like it was befor.
    the majority of the users (and the team) likes the current structure.

GoldenEye

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 26, 2005
    Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    zag2me

I definitely disagree with your statement. IMO it was necessary to re-structure the huge content of the forum and I think the team did a good job in doing so. However, the drawback of such a solution is a deeper hierarchy. But how else would you want to do the structure?

G.

Bram

Portal Pro
    December 12, 2005
    's-Hertogenbosch
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I think it's a shame there is a English and a German part. Information gets fragmented. Everyone is writing in English, from all over the world. So why not the Germans?

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I think it's a shame there is a English and a German part. Information gets fragmented. Everyone is writing in English, from all over the world. So why not the Germans?
    *looooooooool*

never heard something that stupid.

you know that many ppl all over the world do not realy understand/speak english, or?

so where should they get support and ask questions?

first think, then post.

Bram

Portal Pro
    December 12, 2005
    's-Hertogenbosch
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    There is realy no need for this kind of attitude. It's stupid to accuse someone of not thinking if you have no idea who's on the other side of the conversation. Are you taking my remark personaly because German is your native language?

I know a lot of German people and all of them speak English, good enough to express them selves on a forum like this. I'm not saying every German speaks English, but if you start with fragmenting information like this the forums will be harder to maintain and a lot of information will be hard to find in the future. I think it's a disadvantage for everyone.
    People who are having difficulties can use www.interglot.com (for example) to translate their questions to English. I can understand German pretty well, so I'm not realy feeling the disadvantage in language. What I'm experiensing is that when I have a problem with the MediaPortal software I search the forum and can't find any answers. I keep trying to fix the problem without the help of the forum and after a lot of difficulties the problems are fixed. The next day..... I stuble upon a topic in German (by coinsedence) that contains all the answers in the second post :( That's a shame especialy or the people who !don't! speak German.

If you think there is need for a German forum you should also start a French forum for example. And a Spanish, Portugese .... etc.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I know a lot of German people and all of them speak English, good enough to express them selves on a forum like this.
    since my native language is german, i can tell you that most (adult) ppl do not understand more that a few words (if even that).
    many younger ppl can understand it, but not create a full bugreport/support thread/post.

So multilanguage user-support is definitly NOT a shame.

If you think there is need for a German forum you should also start a French forum for example. And a Spanish, Portugese .... etc.
    we allready asked the leaders of such forums in the past.

they are not interested. they prefer to run their own.

CHli

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    My native language is french but since I can read english and german without too much trouble having both in the same forum is for me an advantage.

Bram if german people can translate their post to english using online translator why not use the same tool to translate them to english ?

In a perfect world everyone could understand everyone and we would be all peaceful but afaik it's not the case :(

But please at least let's try to be cool in that lovely place :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom