Forum organisation sucks! (1 Viewer)

high

Administrator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 31, 2004
    Isselburg/NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    but what really sucks is the forum search function! It's really hard to find relevant threads/post according to the keyword. Iam using different forum systems on different communities but MP's forum has the worst search funtionality of them all in my opinion.

Tried with
    AND (MediaPortal AND Twinhan AND ...)
    OR (MediaPortal OR Twinhan...)
    NOT (MediaPortal NOT Twinhan...)
    "keyword" for terms (MediaPortal AND "dvb-c card"...) ?
    What excactly doesnt work for you?

martyyn

Portal Pro
    November 5, 2005
    Wellington, New Zealand
    I agree with you Ralph, sad that a thank you is now considered as a simple click :(

Well I was expecting a little discussion on it rather than it being implemented straight away !

I wasnt trying to demean a thank you and I dont see why it has to been seen that way.

What I was suggesting was that its frustrating having to trawl through a thread that has dozens of pages and hundreds of posts when a vast percentage of the posts are just people saying thank you. Im thinking primarily of the skins threads.

If you choose to look at it as a negative thing then thats your decision but it doesn t have to be negative.

Cheers
    Martyn

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Ralph (and the others)
    WHAT IS THE PROBLEM WITH THE "THANK YOU" MODIFICATION :mad:

its a ADDITION, a new FEATURE!
    many ppl do not even consider to post a "Thanks for that" because its too much work :rolleyes:
    that "Thank You" could help with there.

And i think that threads will become more READABLE when it is be used.
    BUT noone said that we will delete "Thank You" posts.

so, what is the problem?

imo. some ppl will always find a hair in their soup, and we can not please everyone......

Muldini

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I would even go one step further, that button should be under every post since it's not always the one that started the thread who "deserves" the "Thank you!" but maybe someone that answered it.

Kind Regards, Muldini

martyyn

Portal Pro
    November 5, 2005
    Wellington, New Zealand
    You guys have hit on something my friend and I were just talking about.

My intention for the thanks button was just to say thank you to the original poster for work they were doing on a particular skin. That was my base and it was just intended to clean up skinning threads in particular, or even plugin threads.

But what my friend suggested was that he thought it should be on every posting in case he wanted to thank someone for a particular posting.

I told him in that case I would PM the user directly to say thank you.

Two very different reasons.

high

Administrator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 31, 2004
    Isselburg/NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    just a small comment... it has a reason why its just availible for threadstarters. Otherwise the forum would turn unreadable when we have the thank-you-box below nearly every post. That would really end up in clickspamming.

zag2me

Portal Pro
    April 11, 2006
    Home Country
    England England
    The thank you function on each post does work on other forums very well when people give help inside a thread. I don't think it would cause any problems, but its up to you guys of course.

Muldini

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Also, I certainly rather have a few (or a lot) names under a post than a few (or a lot) "Thank you" posts following to realise that is the post worth reading.

As zag2me said, its up to you guys, though.

Just another idea, could change the "Thank you"-System a little, so the names are only seen when you click a link (like "My System") but and this is important mark the post as "thanked" so its easy to realise its the one solving the issue / worth reading / whatever.

Kind Regards, Muldini

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom