Tools and other software FREE Acronis Drive Image tool (1 Viewer)

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    This all gets complicated REAL fast!
    Would you REALLY like a breakdown of the boot procedure - files involved and the locations of such?
    /For a taster - look up ARC paths in relation to the Windows boot process... You'll get the idea soon enough:
    There is LOTS going on when you boot, there are a few files involved too, usually pointing at one thing or another.

Take it as a constant though - it's not worth going down this line; much better to simply set up the OS to the point of installing MP (install all drivers, OS updates etc) so you get a stable platform, then Image the entire drive, then go on to install MP latest version.
    That's how I do mine - it saves AGES on a manual rebuild ;)

I've recently had to rebuild a boot partition from scratch, using a disc editor - NOT fun!!
    lol...

VdR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    This all gets complicated REAL fast!

That has never stopped me before to get what I want ;)

I'll experiment with the four partition setup I mentioned (on a virgin HDD) and come back with the result.

VdR

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    yeah i wouldn't bother is there much need to restore system partition to non system partition and vice versa if you just backing up your mediaportal install?

VdR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    yeah i wouldn't bother is there much need to restore system partition to non system partition and vice versa if you just backing up your mediaportal install?

There wouldn't be IF that's all I wanted to do. But I want to be able to clone and port a complete MP install.

Actually it was easy and works like a charm.

I now have a multi-boot set-up with three bootable partitions, and I can port MP installs from one to the other without a hitch.

If one MP install fails (and unfortunately it has history of doing so ... (see link) ) it only takes booting from the standby partition to get going again. In my house there is no TV if MP does not work. I travel a lot. I don't want my 10 year old to restore partitions on the MP client. Just selecting an alternative boot is no issue.

VdR

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right.
    Henry Ford

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...corded-tv-not-working-again-73376/#post534986

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom