Freesat EPG in UK anyone? (1 Viewer)

Portal Pro
January 11, 2005
You don't need anything else...EPG collector creates an XMLTV file for use in MP, in MPTV config enable the XMLTV plugin and that will import the file into the MP database, no network connection needed.

technoweary

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    I'm thinking it needs internet access to get the latest program listings data for the XMLTV file when it does the grab?

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2005
    The listings are collected OTA (same as the MP grabber) converted to an XMLTV file and then saved in a specific folder in MP, the XMLTV plugin checks for changes in this folder...If changes to the XMLTV file are found it imports the new version into the database.

technoweary

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Home Country
    Well now that's a surprise, I had given up on grabbing OTA from Freesat since the EPG channel vanished!
    I'll be trying it tomorrow. Thanks for that info, very much appreciated. TW

technoweary

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Home Country
    Downloaded and tried EPG collector this morning but not much success so the answer to

Could someone out there please please please try EPG Collector NOW to find out if it works.

No, it does not work for me
    It works for others so it may just be that it does not run on 64bit Win7 OS, or it could be the download I got was corrupted and I am missing the GUI for configuration of the application. I'm a bit busy at the moment so not much time to play around and this does not look to be an easy or well documented process. It's going to be the usual trawl through the help files and advice from other sites and try to find out how to utilise it. I will update if I get any further in the future
    TW

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2005
    @technoweary, 64bit Win7 is what I use and everything works perfectly so the problem is user error, go over the config file that you have generated as one mistake = no grab....BTW what error code did you get while grabbing?.....Don't forget investing a little time getting this working (and it's really not difficult after you have generated the initial config file) will give you a 7day channel and synopsis complete XMLTV file for use wherever you need it.

Last edited:

Jon Sawers

Portal Member
    November 24, 2019
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Could someone out there please please please try EPG Collector NOW to find out if it works.

I set up EPG collector this morning from the link that was posted on page 1 of this topic (post #2 from @Jasmeet_181), and that worked fine for my DVB-S/S2. You have to select the Sky source as indicated, not the Freesat option (this is mentioned, but I tried the Freesat option first and it failed). For the output file, I selected a location without spaces in the filename, as it didn't work before I did this. Within MediaPortal you need to un-tick the "import files in new tvguide.lst" option else it errors (that part isn't mentioned in the instructions in the link).

Last edited:

technoweary

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Home Country
    Hi 404
    A bit hasty with the 'user error' there perhaps?
    I followed the link provided and simply downloaded the file from sourceforge v4.3 Fixpak 22 and extracted it
    I see the applications EPGCollector and EPGCentre in the extraction and no installer
    Of course without installing this is not much good for me so I am assuming the applications do not work on 64bit or I have received a corrupted file or maybe just the patch v22
    If you say it works on 64bit then all I got from sourceforge was a corrupted file or just the patch
    When I get time to fanny about with this I will do some investigation and read some help files but I am sure you understand that fiddling around trying to get half baked software to work when you are not even convinced its any good can take forever. so that's why I am putting it aside for later
    Please bear in mind that the applications have no installers, have not installed and do not run when opened, so very little chance of going over a config file that does not exist! But if you think that's 'user error' then my chances of getting this to work is zero

Jon Sawers

Portal Member
    November 24, 2019
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi 404
    A bit hasty with the 'user error' there perhaps?
    I followed the link provided and simply downloaded the file from sourceforge v4.3 Fixpak 22 and extracted it
    I see the applications EPGCollector and EPGCentre in the extraction and no installer
    Of course without installing this is not much good for me so I am assuming the applications do not work on 64bit or I have received a corrupted file or maybe just the patch v22
    If you say it works on 64bit then all I got from sourceforge was a corrupted file or just the patch
    When I get time to fanny about with this I will do some investigation and read some help files but I am sure you understand that fiddling around trying to get half baked software to work when you are not even convinced its any good can take forever. so that's why I am putting it aside for later
    Please bear in mind that the applications have no installers, have not installed and do not run when opened, so very little chance of going over a config file that does not exist! But if you think that's 'user error' then my chances of getting this to work is zero

I tried that first of all also and it didn't work for me. Reading their forum they suggested using the MSI instead, which is in the downloads area. That worked fine.

technoweary

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Home Country
    Just noticed another member has helped Brian and had success immediately so I hope that has helped Brian
    I will try again when I have the time as it appears to be the only way to get a Freesat OTA EPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom