Freeview digital interactive red button MHEG (1 Viewer)

b166er

Portal Member
June 16, 2005
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Area: Digital TV
MP Version: none at present, previously 0.1.3.0
Skin: MCE
Windows Version: Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2 Up-To-Date
CPU Type: AthlonXP 2600+
Memory: 1Gb Manufacturer recommended PC3200 DDR Dual
Motherboard Chipset: Asus A7N8X-Deluxe (Nforce2)
Video Card: Asus 9520TD
Video Card Driver: Latest NVidia
Video Card Resolution: 1024x768
Video Render Type: VMR9
TV Card: Hauppauge PVR250
TV Card Type: hardware
TV Card Driver: SHSPVR MCE driver

Hi,
Just wondering, I'm about to upgrade TV to digital (I know, slow or what...and I'm normally an early adopter :lol: )
Well, do I get an internal card, or do I get a STB? (already got PVR250)
Are there any problems controlling a STB with the MCE remote?
Can I get interactive services with either a STB or PCI based DVB-T solution?
I know you can't get interactive with MCE unless using a STB, but I'd really rather a PCI tuner, that way I get 2 tuners.
I've searched for Freeview STB's that use RC5/6 and can't seem to find any information anywhere...(maybe this isn't relevant with MediaPortal)
I've also hunted high and low for the possibilities of using digital interactive services with HTPC/PVR's.
Any replies very welcome.
As I can't find anything about this anywhere, it could be a handy thread for anyone asking the same question.
Thanks,
b166er

PS just remembered, in MCE at least, the lack of digital interactive servies is due to no support for MHEG-5. So I guess the question more simply put is; does MediaPortal support MHEG-5?

b166er

Portal Member
June 16, 2005
Home Country
Any ideas anyone?

I see this thread has been read 66 times.
Does no-one have any ideas/experiences?
Please, if one of the devs reads this, let us know if we can use Digital Interactive if we are NOT using a set-top box.

I feel woefully inadequate that I can't contribute to this project. And I wish all the best to everyone who does contribute. I don't want this to sound like a begging letter, and believe me when I say I think it's awesome that people put so much of their free time into helping others. I also do this, but i'm no software engineer ;p

5teve

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 26, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Hi there...

dont worry posts get read lots... but you need the right people to read them :)

as far as the interactive (MHEG5) feature goes... there is none currently, however i do believe that there are a few posts in the forum saying that it will be supported at a later date, however there are a few more pressing things to do first. im sure it will be supported eventually tho... not that that helps you currently :)

as far as controlling set top boxes go im sure there are lots of people on here that use the mce remote and blaster to do that, so although i have no experience of doing it, im pretty sure there are lots that do use this feature.

i dont know if the reply helps or not...

thanks

Steve

preetkk

July 31, 2006
    hi,
    is there a date for when someone will add interactive support (i would probly donate aswell then as thats the only reason i want to use mediaportal)

thanks

thought i'd add to this thread instead of starting a new one

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    You could always look at other opensource implimentations from similar projects to MediaPortal to see what they did. If i remember right, the MythTV MHEG code originally started out as an open source Java MHEG utility. Of course its likely that it barely resembles that code at all now, but i think that allowed them to better understand what was required etc.

McGoober

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 13, 2006
    Cambridge, UK
    Home Country
    MythTV has a great start to a MHEG interface, thanks for the tip funkstar. I'm working on the port as we speak and it's one complicated beast ;).
    :D

ingenious

November 9, 2006
    MythTV has a great start to a MHEG interface, thanks for the tip funkstar. I'm working on the port as we speak and it's one complicated beast ;).
    :D

Could this project source be of use...

http://redbutton.sourceforge.net/

Your correct it does look complicated judging from this implementation which is stated as not been complete however functional.

McGoober

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 13, 2006
    Cambridge, UK
    Home Country
    My original plan was to port the redbutton source, which does provide a full ASN1 (DER) -> MHEG5 decode implementation (which is a good start) but the code needed to do this is very C specific, which means I'd have to rewrite TONS!. I will however, probably use the code for carousel reading (rb-download), which I don't think is in MediaPortal yet, but I could be mistaken.

Just a quick update I'm about 1/4 way through the Free MHEG library port. Once that is complete I was going to write two plugins for MP. One for the new TV Server to provide carousel objects as a sort of HTTP server and one for the frontend as the actual MHEG browser. Anyone got any other ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom