Freeze after first frame (after previous stop) (1 Viewer)

nickotron

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi,

I'm not sure if this is an RC4 bug or something odd about my reinstall this time round. Any help appreciated.

I had RC2 and then RC3 running very well since there release (basically without issues). When I RC4 came out I did a system re-install with on a new HDD. Since then I have the following problem:

After watching a show, either previously recorded or live TV and then stopping, returning to the menu to select something else, the following show gives me one frame but nothing else. I can press stop, pick another recorded show, or in live TV change channel, but from that point on always get the first frame of the show on screen, but nothing else. I can't skip fwd or back. But if I change channel or show I get the first frame of that new choice.

If I stuck with the first show I could watch it indefinitely without a problem.

I note that when watching TV, the Monochrome skin provides a Stop dialog and function, which Blue 2 Wide didn't (in Blue 2 Wide stop was just ignored, unless TV was windowed next to a menu or EPG). I use Stop sometimes so it could be the cause, although I think I've seen this problem other times. I wonder if Stop doesn't clean up properly?

This happens very regularly - at least once per night. I'm not sure of the exact sequence of events, but like I say, it isn't just live TV/card related - I have the same issues with previously recorded shows.

Restarting MP seems to fix it. Haven't found anything else that helps.

Per system spec below I'm using default renderers, have Media Payer install per requirements, no other codecs on system.

Has anyone seen this before? I can't see anything similar under RC4 bugs, although searching "first frame" does give similar posts in the general forum (but they have the problem from go, rather than after successful playing).

Thanks. Will post logs later from home if that helps.

N.

TV-Server Version: 1.0 RC4
    MediaPortal Version: 1.0 RC4
    MediaPortal Skin: Monochrome 2.3
    Windows Version: Windows XP Pro SP3
    CPU Type: AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core
    HDD: Sumsung 1T
    Memory: 2 Gb (less 500Mb for Ramdisk)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H
    Video Card: Integrated ATI™ Radeon™ X1250
    Video Card Driver:
    Sound Card: Integrated ALC889A 8-Channel HD
    Sound Card AC3:
    Sound Card Driver:
    1. TV Card: Hauppauge WinTV Nova S
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-S
    1. TV Card Driver:
    2. TV Card:
    2. TV Card Type:
    2. TV Card Driver:
    3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: MPV
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPA
    h.264 Video Codec:
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: Optus D1 (FreeView NZ)
    HTPC Case:
    Cooling:
    Power Supply: Corsair VX450W
    Remote: Hauppauge
    TV: Sony 32" LCD
    TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

JoePlumber

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi,

If you have your timeshift buffer on a ramdisk, try putting it on your local hdd and disable the ramdisk.
    Reboot afterwards and start MP again.

JoePlumber

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    In this case, I want to see if the timeshiftbuffer on the ramdisk was causing the freezing. Without the logs its really hard to tell where the problem is.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    In this case, I want to see if the timeshiftbuffer on the ramdisk was causing the freezing. Without the logs its really hard to tell where the problem is.

Yes, a good way to try to limit the cause for the freeze.

When it comes to the RAM disk and timeshifting buffer there isnt that much benefits from it, people are thingkin that its faster on channel changes etc. but todays HDs are causing most likely few ms delays when it comes to that. So the only pro for RAM disk is that they are completely noiseless (althou every HTPC should be noiseless... even their HDs...). As a con RAM disks as timeshifting storage tend to cause easier issues, as MP code is not perfect. So sometimes its possible that when RAM disk fulls the TsWriter fails to do its job (rotating timeshifting buffers).

So if you arent 100% sure that RAM disk is actually giving you a speed bump (which it isnt...) you shoud stick with the HD as timeshifting buffer storage.

nickotron

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Timeshift buffer was on RamDisk but I've moved it to HDD (rebooted) and still have the same issues.

Server logs attached for a session that included this problem. It includes and error so hopefully that provides answers (doesn't mean much to me).

FYI, I switched back and forth between live TV, and recorded shows, and after a few mins, it shows the error: I went back to live TV and can see the one frame only of which ever channel I change to. No audio either. But MP still responds fine, lets me navigate, doesn't report shows a problem on GUI.

Thanks.

N.

JoePlumber

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Can you try disabling EPG grabber. Your logs show the timeshiftshift buffer is starting and stopping every one minute, the same time your EPG grabber is initializing and stopping.

nickotron

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I turned off EPG but same again. For the record I turned it off by Server Cfg > TV Channels > Unchecked all channels (then rebooted) - hope that was what you meant. I didn't change anythign under General > EPG Tab but noted the following settings: Always Fill and EPG both checked, EPG while recording/time shift has always been unchecked.

Latest logs attached. In tswriter.log I see:

22-12-2008 22:53:50.781 MultiFileWriter: failed to create file D:\New Folder\live2-0.ts.tsbuffer2.ts

which was about the time I got my freeze.

There are also error logs, but from the time stamps, it doesn't look like they're related. The latest errors were just after 10pm, and the machine first video freeze I saw wouldn't have been 22.45 at the latest (as above).

Note that when I get the freeze it stays frozen indefinitely (I left it quite a few mins). Also that when frozen I can still skips fwd/back, but can't get it to play. I had paused this time before the freeze, went away, came back and wouldn't play. As before it will still change channels, skip fwd, etc, and show me one frame of anything I choose.

N.

nickotron

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Other thoughts: Is the filename corrupt?

I note that the only failed line is trying to write: "D:\New Folder\live2-0.ts.tsbuffer2.ts"
    While other filename mentions are more like: "D:\New Folder\live2-0.ts.tsbuffer" (one less extension)
    After closing MP this dir is filled with the following:
    D:\New Folder\live2-0.ts.tsbuffer, D:\New Folder\live2-0.ts.tsbuffer2.ts, D:\New Folder\live2-0.ts.tsbuffer3.ts, 4..5.

For the record my timeshift settings are: min 3, max 5, 150, 5, 15 (designed for ramdisk although currently pointing at HDD).

N.

JoePlumber

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I suggest you try installing ffdshow, Haali Media Splitter, and DirectVobSub. Your logs still show problems with the SQL server, VM renderer and the timeshift buffer stopping. Re-installing MP and SQL server will be a good idea too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom