Freezing after some time running (1 Viewer)

JimWMCnot

Portal Member
August 22, 2015
Home Country
Australia Australia
I have been running 1.12 for many years. Thought I would give a newer version a try. Basic functions all work and not issue tuning to stations, recording shows etc. So operation all good but if the system is left for a period of time the GUI will freeze. The watchdog will not detect what is causing this i.e. the gui is not rebooted. I thought it was leaving a station running over night that was causing it - but no - the GUI can be left running and it will lock up as well. Simple things like the batteries in the remote are not the issue as the laptop keyboard is also non responsive - until I ctr alt del to get up the task manager.

This install was done on a backup image of the laptop, this backup restored over the old 1.12 install (I have a backup of this image) and all windows 7 service packs and updates installed. Only then was MP1.19 installed. I have since snapped a backup disk image of this running system.

So I am at a loss what to look for. I cannot see in the logs (attached) any reason for said lockup. I have seen some errors in the windows system logs and (I believe) tided up the causes of those errors but too early to say if any were the case of this. The install is basically as used for v1.12 that gave many years of service.

edit1 added log extract

This is where it is dying:

Code:
[2018-05-20 08:16:56,506] [Log    ] [18       ] [DEBUG] - PlaneScene: dst        : (0,0)-(1920,1080)
[2018-05-20 08:16:56,533] [Log    ] [18       ] [DEBUG] - SubEngine : init engine : MediaPortal.Player.Subtitles.SubEngine+DummyEngine
[2018-05-20 08:18:32,175] [Log    ] [PoolThread15] [DEBUG] - ThreadPool.ProcessQueue() : quitting (inUse:0, total:2)
[2018-05-20 11:28:47,589] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - VMR9Helper: Playing -> Repainting, Frames 0
[2018-05-20 11:28:54,209] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - Main: WM_DEVICECHANGE (Event: DBT_DEVICEREMOVECOMPLETE)

Edit2
No evidence of such time jumps in the tvserver logs i.e. I assume not a tvserver issue.

Edit 3 - I found the system dead at 8am . . no logs from midnight to 749am . . i.e. the media portal gui dead.

Code:
[2018-05-19 23:10:43,816] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - Main: WM_DEVICECHANGE (Event: DBT_DEVICEARRIVAL)
[2018-05-19 23:10:43,816] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - Main: Device type is DBT_DEVTYP_DEVICEINTERFACE - Name: Generic PnP Monitor
[2018-05-19 23:10:43,816] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [INFO ] - Main: Video Device or Screen Generic PnP Monitor connected
[2018-05-19 23:10:43,816] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - GraphicContext: device video connected - Count 3
[2018-05-19 23:10:43,816] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - Main: WM_DISPLAYCHANGE
[2018-05-20 07:49:12,403] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [DEBUG] - Window: WindowPlugins.home.GUIBasicHome init
[2018-05-20 07:49:12,450] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [INFO ] - Main: WM_POWERBROADCAST (PBT_POWERSETTINGCHANGE)
[2018-05-20 07:49:12,450] [Log    ] [MPMain   ] [INFO ] - Main: The display is on

Any advice appreciated.

Attachments

• MediaPortalLogs_20_05_18__11_39.zip
    728.3 KB
Last edited:

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    What's with CPU load at this time?
    Any temperature problems? Is memory fine? Any hardware/drivers change during this time?
    Just some noob questions, sorry :oops:

JimWMCnot

Portal Member
    August 22, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Good questions.
    CPU load is unknown as the media centre GUI occupies all the screen real estate. By the time I ctrl alt del 'd out of course such detail was lost.
    Unlikely to be hardware issues as system was running 1.12 quite ok for many years. But I am not discounting this option.
    I am still looking at the logs i.e. the edit's above show glitches in the logs - by glitch nothing was recorded for long periods of time and the log start again coincided with me killing the system to recover.
    There are no critical or error events in the windows logs so it appears related to MP but on the other hand when I exit MP by task manager kill, there is no explorer running (no start/bottom system bar) so maybe a windows issue that records no logs.

. . . still hunting . . . although I might be reverting to a known working 1.12 image soon and for get 1.19.

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    I didn't find anything useful in logs too if we're talking about period you've wrote :-(
    My MP one day started hanging too. I thought it was connected to overheating and indeed it was too hot but eventually hanging gone after removing new memory

Отправлено с моего Redmi 3S через Tapatalk

JimWMCnot

Portal Member
    August 22, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Well I gave up. I bought a 4 tuner fetchTV box and very happy. It just works. The media portal rig is consigned to the dustbin. I suspect a windows issue. I have bypassed this aspect now,

limpwhizkid

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    on your IPC$
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I have the same problem with 1.19.0 , i failed also in supplying any logs to have the problem reproduced.
    it seems to have to do with switching television off (HDMI detection device change is as far as i got to anything cluewise)
    I tried moninfo to have HDMI fixed info file in windows that made it exactly one click better , switch tv back on, then the gui freezes after one click on the remote. i have digital sound out to a soundbar, i guess its somewhere there, i didnt feel like resolving it further and
    I reverted back to 1.18.0 which doesnt have the problem

peque

Moderator - Spanish Forums
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Hi,

Sorry to reuse an old post, but it describes quite well what's happenning to me.

I'm running 1.17 with no problems, but I can't update to 1.19 or 1.1.20 because after some time idle, MP GUI hangs with no error message in the logs. I can kill the process (it's int not responding state) and start it again, so windows is working Ok. It's just MP that hangs. I would say I've also tested 1.18 in the past with same hangs, but I'm not sure.

The thing is: how could I narrow down what's causing this, if there's not a crash to analyze? I wouldn't like to start config from scratch, as it's my "production" TV system.

Thanks a lot.

daWooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hi,
    switch everything to debug mode within mediaportal and just run it until the hang/freeze appears again.
    then have a look at the logs again... even if no error is logged, you can see at least what happened last and when exactly that was to narrow it down.
    or try with watchdog on the first option set, maybe its working ok without some old plugins...if not upload logs.
    a log monitoring tool can be also very handy....i don't know what you've already tried^^

gl

peque

Moderator - Spanish Forums
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Ok. I'll do it ASAP and post results. In a week I'll be out on vacation, and I will be able to install the faulty version remotely with no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom