[no Bug] Freezing unwatchable tv and a lot of discontinuities. (1 Viewer)

miroslav22

Development Group Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 4, 2009
    Warwick
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Do you use a diseqc switch or a non-standard LNB?

sin360

Portal Member
    August 5, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I use a diseqc switch with 2 standard lnbs. I added the recording on my last post which I edited. Does MP work on a virtual machine? I'm thinking of adding a virtual machine with a fresh copy of windows and testing it out.

miroslav22

Development Group Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 4, 2009
    Warwick
    Home Country
    I use a diseqc switch with 2 standard lnbs. I added the recording on my last post which I edited.

I bet that's where the problem is (IIRC Hauppauge cards have had issues with diseqc switching before).

@mm I don't really know much about this - is there anything you can suggest? :)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

A DiSEqC switch is highly unlikely to be the cause of this. Unfortunately *all* 22 kHz related switching/signaling (DiSEqC, high band...) doesn't seem to work with my Nova S Plus... in any software... so I suspect I have a bad sample.

I recorded the channel loaded in vlc and it was working, but the preview in tv-server was not.
    I strongly advise people not to test with the preview function in TV Server. Codecs used for preview aren't controlled by the settings in MP configuration - preview uses the system codec merits to determine which codecs to use. The codecs with the highest merits that support the required formats are used. Please set your codec preferences in MP configuration -> codecs and renderer -> TV tab, and then test exclusively with MP.

Getting back to the talk about non-matching SIDs and locking onto the TS headers: it seems stop mode is used in some parts of the logs but pause mode is used in others (sin360: have you changed this setting yourself?). These symptoms scream *classic* pause mode symptoms the more I think about it - I only wish I'd noticed yesterday. The following comments also support that:

In version 1.2 beta or RC I can't watch tv...
    In version 1.1.3 tv was watchable...

So... let's ensure pause mode is turned off first before we go any further with this:
    1. Open TV Server configuration.
    2. Expand the "TV Servers" node.
    3. Select your TV Server (livingroom-PC?) on the left. You should see the tuner list on the right now.
    4. Select your Nova S Plus tuner (Hauppauge WinTV 88x DVB-S Tuner/Demod) and click "edit".
    5. Under "when card enters idle state..." ensure "stop..." (rather than "pause...") is selected.
    6. Click "save".
    7. Click OK to close TV Server configuration (ensure that TV Server restarts).
    8. Test and report results with new logs please if there are still problems.

mm

miroslav22

Development Group Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 4, 2009
    Warwick
    Home Country
    Hi again

A DiSEqC switch is highly unlikely to be the cause of this. Unfortunately *all* 22 kHz related switching/signaling (DiSEqC, high band...) doesn't seem to work with my Nova S Plus... in any software... so I suspect I have a bad sample.

Are you sure? I only thought that because from the tswriter logs it looks like the signal is being interfered with in some way (almost like there are 2 signals being merged together). I'd be surprised if it wasn't at least a contributing factor because surely more people would have had this problem otherwise?

sin360

Portal Member
    August 5, 2011
    Home Country
    Here are the logs I'm sure I had already put the setting on stop. I ran the it again and here are the logs, I did another timeshift as a test and it was good for about 30 sec then the discontinuities started again. I loaded MP and I get video and sound for about 1 sec then it freezes.

sin360

Portal Member
    August 5, 2011
    Home Country
    Here are logs from a fresh install of Windows XP. I only have the drivers for everything installed MP, SAFV5 and security essentials. The same exact problem in XP as in 7.

sin360

Portal Member
    August 5, 2011
    Home Country
    I think I might have found the problem Microsoft Security Essentials. It's the only program that I installed on winxp other then the basics and I also have it installed in win7. I remember the timeshift working correctly last night in xp, but I was really tired and half asleep. I guess I installed security essential right before I fell asleep. I removed security essentials and MP is working. I'm trying to remove it from win7 to test it out I'll give feed back when I remove it. It's crashing when I run the uninstall.

Ok I got security essentials uninstalled from win 7 and MP works. So does this happen with other virus scanners?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Wow - that was quite unexpected! *Thank you* for persisting and reporting back. :D
    I guess Security Essentials was scanning the timeshifting folder, slowing down the HDD so much that it messes up the stream. I would further guess that other software could do this. In fact I've heard of Comodo anti-virus doing somewhat similar strange things. I think all you'd have to do to "fix" this is to disable the scanning of your timeshifting and recording folders in Security Essentials (or any other software).

mm

[Edit: are you okay with me marking this thread as "no bug"?]

sin360

Portal Member
    August 5, 2011
    Home Country
    I have no problem with you marking the thread as "no bug" Thank you everyone for the help

I excluded the MP folders and everything works now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom