Ongoing Fun setting up a new client (1 Viewer)

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    My setup had the HTPC/TV-Server connected, using all the same wires, except for the power cord (the client is using an external 120 watt brick).

I'm using digital optical to the receiver, not analog.

The HTPC/TV-Server has 7 HDD and a 450 watt PSU, still, there is no rumble whatsoever comming through.

The sub amp, surround receiver, TV and HTPC are all connected to the same power bar, so should share a common.

My first guess is that the power connector is not grounded properly to the client chassis.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    THAT WAS IT!!!!!
    I scored some of the paint off from around the power connector hole in the chassis. I laid in a short piece of braided wire to fill the gap, and contact both chassis and connector assembly. Then I assembled the connector, plugged it in, and NO RUMBLE, not even the slightest hum.

Client installed in the living room, TV-Server in the office...... everything is working... (so far)

... now to set up the plugins.

eager for MP 1.7 final

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    I had a similar issue some time back.
    The idiot that owned my house before me rewired the living room.. Some outlets are Real 3 prong. Some appear as 3 prong but there was No Ground wire.
    Then to make matters worse, he screwed around in the power panel and removed the ground from other area's of the house.
    Has taken me a Very Long time to figure this all out and am still cleaning up his mess

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    Owning an older home (60yrs old) can be a real challenge as well. The place needs to be gutted and rewired entirely ... I did that once to a previous home... I'll leave it to the next owners. :D

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    Ha!... I THOUGHT I had taken care of the hum issue.

When I turned off the ceiling fan, the space heater (we ran out of fuel oil for the furnace over a week ago - with the living space of the house staying a balmy 60 degrees F most nights.. and occasionally as low as 57...) and the humidifier, I could still hear a low hum from the subwoofer.

After disconnecting/reconnecting every cable and power cord behind the entertainment center I found the issue to be the VCR/DVD combo player, which was connected by coax directly to the TV, and not anywhere near the client-pc or other cabling. We were, at this point, only using it for the LED clock, so it is now disconnected ... perfect quiet in the living room (except for the afore mentioned ceiling fan, the space heater and the humidifier).

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I had a grounding issue myself about 10 years ago.
    Then it was caused by the TV cable. Not the cable itself, but the signal. This caused a ?grounding loop? (in dutch een aardelus) through the TV + receiver + VCR which are all connected to each other and a very low hum was the result. (I am no expert!!) :) When I pulled the tvcable, it was gone. Plug it back in again, its there again.
    I went to the electronics shop. A real one, with a grumpy old and grey man, with years of hands on experience with in his store thousands of risistors condensor capasitors diodes...and thousands more of stuff I dont understand anyway... Pipe in his mouth... mumbling ...things. :) The guy manually builds is own speakers on customars orders :p a classic pro.. .... ANYWAY!!!!
    This guy told me I needed to put a small resistance in the TV coax cable. I had to put it in only 1 plug of the coaxcable on the core wire.
    I did that and it worked perfectly. TV signal didnt suffer in any way then and the hum was completely gone. But of course this was in the time no digital TV was being broadcast. So if this trick would still work I don't know. Neither do I know the technical reason behind it why this would work or what the resistance was (0.001>100kOhm?? I don't know).

[edit]
    If you would like to know more about the resistance. It was in my parents house. It is likely the cable is still lying around there. I can ask my dad if he could have a look at the plug and take a photo of it built in... My dad is old, so I need to talk him through it. BUt if there really is a question for this, I will try. :) Just ask.

@2BitSculptor Yes, I edited the post again... :p i like to edit :) :)

Last edited:

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    If you would like to know more about the resistance. It was in my parents house. It is likely the cable is still lying around there. I can ask my dad if he could have a look at the plug and take a photo of it built in... My dad is old, so I need to talk him through it. BUt if there really is a question for this, I will try. :) Just ask.

Thanks for the offer... though, I haven't had hum since I removed the VCR from the equation.

I edit and edit and edit like there's no tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom