[News] Future of MP Extensions - Design Concept (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    yes because Extension plugin is currently not part of MPEM - that's one of the reasons why infinite.loop requested developers to come forward to help.
    As the docs in the wiki outline there are many things that need to be done, some of which are required in order to integrate the Extensions plugin.

IIUC everything you are suggesting is in the plan already, we just need someone to do it! Then you can test it in Area 51 and make sure it does what you want.

JDWestoby

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 9, 2008
    Poltimore, Devon
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm interested in how plugins can be made more automatic and I'm sorry my last post was brief (I was going to work or something as I remember).

My main issue with the plugin installer was knowing HOW to start to make a plugin installer - a skeleton project/walkthrough like the original plugin example would have been useful. But I never found one - maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.

As for configuring plugins, I've always made mine use the Info/F9 from the screen (obviously not possible with process plugins, maybe everything should have a screen).

But truthfully I would use anything if I can work it out. Nothing complicated please, or that assumes I have a web presence to dump files into.

Heck, I LIKE MP.

If I'd found anything that could do what this does I would have used it - but honest guys, there isn't!

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    My main issue with the plugin installer was knowing HOW to start to make a plugin installer - a skeleton project/walkthrough like the original plugin example would have been useful. But I never found one - maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.
    You mean like the MPEI Skins Installer Guide? Most of it applies to Plugin installers as well. I have tried to get plugin devs to help write one, or our own devs to document the changes, but I'm sure you know how popular that makes me :p (NOT!)

JDWestoby

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 9, 2008
    Poltimore, Devon
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Yup, docs and software go together like - well..., it's hard (yes, I'm a developer at work too, guilty as charged.)

I honestly couldn't say if I found the skins installer (heck, I can't remember last week!), but considering that the/my plugins are generally doing -
    1) copy the dll to the MediaPortal directory
    2) copy the skin file
    3) copy an initial XML file for settings

You really >would< think it would be easy to make a simple installer interface! Copy, copy, copy, done.

But, of course, it isn't or why would InstallShield, WISE et al still be around?

Oh, ask how much I'm looking forward to the new skin developments - I am ABSOLUTE PANTS at pretty (I do functional).

But in all honesty if the installer is to be a program a simple skeleton project to steal would be a major plus.

I am majorly impressed by how much time and effort people put into this, I'm sure that if this were commercial software it wouldn't get half the thought and care that it does.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Everytime I want to get back to this either something team internal or in real life comes up.

I'd need someone who wants to take the lead of this rework! I am still here for consulting ofc, but I seem to can't take full ownership of the creation process. :)

sa_ddam213

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2009
    Canterbury
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @Dadeo,
    I have been working on MPEM here and there but was waiting for more confirmation on design before I went to far.

@infinite.loop,
    I know I am not an official part of Team MediaPortal but I am more than happy to take full ownership of this project,
    The only weak point I have is fetching data from the MP repository, But I can make the DAL if someone wants to fill the gap, But I have a good understanding of what is required and have mocked up the majority already, The UI is pretty much all mocked up and the plugin installation/communication service is up and running (no security yet). But I'm confident I can have a full alpha within the next 2-4 months(depending on the real world).

Quarter

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 21, 2010
    Queenstown
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @Dadeo,
    I have been working on MPEM here and there but was waiting for more confirmation on design before I went to far.

@infinite.loop,
    I know I am not an official part of Team MediaPortal but I am more than happy to take full ownership of this project,
    The only weak point I have is fetching data from the MP repository, But I can make the DAL if someone wants to fill the gap, But I have a good understanding of what is required and have mocked up the majority already, The UI is pretty much all mocked up and the plugin installation/communication service is up and running (no security yet). But I'm confident I can have a full alpha within the next 2-4 months(depending on the real world).

I wouldn't mind helping with what ever you need, just give me a yell. Might have alittle more time than others. (y)

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Yeah, logo packs seems useless for me now

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom