[News] Future of MP Extensions - Design Concept (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Spent a few hours on the mock-up last night and it seems to be coming along ok.

I am trying to keep as close to the concept as the WPF framework will let me and it seems like it will be all good.
    I have attatched what I have so far and I will start on the more complex custom controls (like search bar) and start theming the buttons,scrollbars etc.
    Looks very good so far!

I think we should start to talk about how MPEM will get data from the webserver/repository? (Will think about how/where to do those discussions)

That said, who is keen to help with the PHP/DB/JAVA side?
    We use Joomla with Mosets Tree as repository.
    Before rushing this we need to discuss the underlying structures and logic. :)

We also need someone for the Windows Service that will update/install/uninstall plugins.

Last edited:

sa_ddam213

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2009
    Canterbury
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Spent a few hours on the mock-up last night and it seems to be coming along ok.

I am trying to keep as close to the concept as the WPF framework will let me and it seems like it will be all good.
    I have attatched what I have so far and I will start on the more complex custom controls (like search bar) and start theming the buttons,scrollbars etc.
    Looks very good so far!

I think we should start to talk about how MPEM will get data from the webserver/repository? (Will think about how/where to do those discussions)

That said, who is keen to help with the PHP/DB/JAVA side?
    We use Joomla with Mosets Tree as repository.
    Before rushing this we need to discuss the underlying structures and logic. :)

We also need someone for the Windows Service that will update/install/uninstall plugins.
    Hey infinite.loop,

The MPEM UI is totally MVVM so it requires no code behind at the moment, and theming up all the buttons and controls will keep me occupied untill we sort out the incomming data.

I could also do the service, I kind of have one that will work, its one I built a while ago to install MPDisplay and restart MP from my dev.
    Its pretty crude, but I could merge with the WCF MPDisplay++ service so MPEM can connect from anywhere to install/edit plugins. This way users can use MPEM on there desktop or Laptop without needing to mouse up thier HTPC,

Just a thought.

Last edited:

MrCrabs

Portal Pro
    January 21, 2010
    Braunschweig
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Man, I'd really like to help here, but unfortunately I don't have no skills you guys need. But I like this idea very much - better extension support means better MP. Is there a way I can support this besides programming or designing?

JDWestoby

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 9, 2008
    Poltimore, Devon
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I approve of anything that makes MP more unified, but I must confess I could never get to grips with the MPE concept - it seemed overly hard when all I wanted was to throw a dll and a couple of XML skins around.

I will be watching this with interest, and not a little bit of hope that my poor benighted brain can make my plugins compatible.

(Certainly LOOKS pretty!)

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    ...I must confess I could never get to grips with the MPE concept - it seemed overly hard when all I wanted was to throw a dll and a couple of XML skins around.
    IMHO it might be really useful for the developers to know exactly what you found 'overly hard' - so they can try and make it simpler?

costi

Portal Member
    July 14, 2010
    Home Country
    Poland Poland
    Me for example... I like to user remote desktop to configure my htpc, not everyone has the same needs/preferences as oneself.
    But do you use absolutely all the options? That's my point - the most-used stuff should be in the GUI, while very detailed/obscure stuff would still be separate. XBMC has a ton of options that are not in the GUI, but configured via advancedsettings.xml, but these are used by a great minority and so do not need to clutter up the GUI.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    ...I must confess I could never get to grips with the MPE concept - it seemed overly hard when all I wanted was to throw a dll and a couple of XML skins around.
    IMHO it might be really useful for the developers to know exactly what you found 'overly hard' - so they can try and make it simpler?

I find that @JDWestoby's feedback overly hard to decrypt :p Best way to improve things is to give good feedback / improvement suggestions.

Malakesher

Portal Member
    February 27, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    My opinion:
    Configuration of extensions is created by who ever develops them and has very little to do with MPEM and if it is based within the GUI or not. Also the fact that it is planned on being available both in and out of the GUI means that it should be keeping everyone happy.
    I think the discussion about config options being within MP is totally off topic and I would like to point out that currently many extensions have configurable setting within MP and the more advanced options out of MP. Now there is no reason they can't improve what is done within MP but that is something that should be improved within the extensions.

Back to MPEM:
    I think a better way of installing and updating is a good thing as long as it, as an application conforms to what makes MP great. It should allow the user to configure it how they like. E.g. make auto-update an option to have on or off.

I can't wait to see how this develops and only wish I had any skills to help out.

The most I can do is cheer you on. GO TEAM!!!(-MEDIAPORTAL) ;)

Last edited:

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi,
    would be cool, to have installer screen directly in MP ( with extensions plugin), used this week for update Onlinevideo, need to use keyboard/mouse for switch to next screen and finish the update.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom