GA-MA78GM-S2H and DXVA (1 Viewer)

dbgurudk

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 9, 2008
    Hi Folks,

I have a MB GA-MA78GM-S2H and it seems like I cannot get Hardware acceleration to work.

Can any of you fine people give me a hint to what software to install to get this to work?

At the moment I have a CPU load of 60% when watching the FTA BBC World News on 0,8W

This seems a little bit high :confused:

I run Vista SP1 at the moment and CCC version 9.8.

I have also POWERDVD 7.X running.

In graphedit i see that the last processor of video signal is EVR.

Can any of you spread some light to my problem?

Thanks in advance.

Spooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 14, 2005
    void 4tl
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Well, for starters, you should provide a little bit more information (Hardware and Software). Posting a Screenshot of the Graph would also help.

A preliminary suggestion would be to check in the MediaPortal configuration under DirectShow Filters - PowerDVD 7 decoder configuration settings if Hardware accleration is enabled there. (And of course check if the PowerDVD 7 H.264 codec is actually set in the decoder configuration of Television.)

dbgurudk

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 9, 2008
    Well, for starters, you should provide a little bit more information (Hardware and Software). Posting a Screenshot of the Graph would also help.

A preliminary suggestion would be to check in the MediaPortal configuration under DirectShow Filters - PowerDVD 7 decoder configuration settings if Hardware accleration is enabled there. (And of course check if the PowerDVD 7 H.264 codec is actually set in the decoder configuration of Television.)

Hi Spooky,

First of all, does DVXA only work for H.264?

Yes, the check mark is in the DirectShow Filtes for POWERDVD.

Yes, codec is set in both MPEG-2 and H.264 in the Television section

I'll try to make som screen shots later.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    IIRC there are some limitations for DXVA @ PDVD7, Could you try using a newer version? Perhaps check out the SAF-thread (and PM Hoborg ;)).

dbgurudk

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 9, 2008
    IIRC there are some limitations for DXVA @ PDVD7, Could you try using a newer version? Perhaps check out the SAF-thread (and PM Hoborg ;)).

:D for the advice :cool:

Can any of you tell me what CPU usage MP and TV server takes up under normal circumstances?

Just starting and leaving MP on the main screen takes up between 15-20% Is that correct?

When tuning to a TV channel tvserver takes up between 5-15% Is that correct?

Thanks for all your advices so far.

MLH01

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    CPU utilisation is only meaningful if you specify your hardware/software details.

For posting DXVA-related issues: CPU model/speed, motherboard, dedicated video card (if present), OS and codecs are the most important.

See here for how to do this ;)

MLH01.

MLH01

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    Australia Australia

:D for the advice :cool:

Can any of you tell me what CPU usage MP and TV server takes up under normal circumstances?

Just starting and leaving MP on the main screen takes up between 15-20% Is that correct?

When tuning to a TV channel tvserver takes up between 5-15% Is that correct?

Thanks for all your advices so far.

Those numbers look fine.

As for the 60% CPU usage when watching TV, is that in high def? What type of monitor do you have (deinterlacing can increase CPU usage on some setups)?

dbgurudk

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 9, 2008
    Those numbers look fine.

As for the 60% CPU usage when watching TV, is that in high def? What type of monitor do you have (deinterlacing can increase CPU usage on some setups)?

The Channel is a SD channel.

My "monitor" is a Philips LCD 42", whether it is deinterlacing or not, how do I tell?

Thanks in advance.

MLH01

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Deinterlacing is needed for digital TVs (LCD, plasma, ...). CRT TVs (analog) on the other hand work natively with the interlaced format, and therefore the program does not need to deinterlaced.

So, if the broadcast is being sent in an interlaced format, then it will need to be deinterlaced before displaying. The deinterlacing can be done by software or hardware (if the hardware/video card supports it). Software deinterlacing uses CPU resources, which can cause stuttering if the system is not up to the task. Higher resolutions (eg. 1080i HD programs) will be even more taxing to the system.

DVDs use the interlaced format. Blu ray dics are more commonly recorded in the non-interlaced format (progressive scanning).

See here for more information.

On my system (SD digital broadcasts using CRT TV, using the inbuilt Vista MPEG2 video codec + inbuilt Vista MPEG1 audio codec + EVR), my CPU usage is around 5-10% on the MP home screen without the TV playing. It increases to ~30% when playing TV. I haven't checked the usage when playing a DVD recently, but vaguely remember it being around 30% as well.

This is all SD as I don't have a HD TV (yet). I'll be looking more closely into DXVA when I get a HD TV hopefully towards the end of this year :)

MLH01.

[EDIT]
    For Australian digital TV broadcasts, the following formats are used...

All channels use 576i for SD.

ABC HD = 720p
    Channels 7, 9 & 10 HD=1080i
    SBS HD = 576p

So for the commercial stations (7, 9 & 10), all high def content is broadcast in 1080i format requiring deinterlacing for display on LCD and plasma screens.
    [/EDIT]

[EDIT2]
    I did a bit more fiddling with codecs and DXVA. I checked the CPU usage when playing a DVD and it ranged from 20-35% (depending on background processes), which is similar to the usage when viewing SD digital TV.

I then installed and configured Mediaplayer Classic HomeCinema as per these instructions. I followed the instructions to the letter and downloaded the SD sample video. When playing the sample video using the MPC-HC application, it showed a status of "Playing (DXVA)", indicating that DXVA was indeed being used. The CPU usage during playback was around 25 to 35%.

From this, I assume that MediaPortal is using DXVA for DVDs (and probably TV viewing) based on similar CPU usage.
    [/EDIT2]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom