Gamepad support (2 Viewers)

A

Anonymous

ability to control mediaportal and navigate the menus with a gamepad would be great. i know there are gamepad mappers that will map keyboard keys to gamepad presses, but i think it would be better if it just accepted input straight from the gamepad.

excellent work guys! please keep it up and thanks!

CoolHammer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2004
    Finland
    Kthulu ...
    Intresting point of view, would you describe how you would use gamepad for controlling? Maybe we could find a new way to operate HTPC.

What I mean is that I use a remote and when mapping buttons you have to be real careful as there is so many events and so few buttons to use.

Gamepads have much less buttons.

I'm using logitech wireless rumblepads (2 of them) to play several games. I found the mapping software excelent to modify actions needed to different games. I would recommend this experiment with MP too.

CoolHammer

MissSophie

Portal Member
    July 16, 2004
    Exact same situation as Kthulu here. I use my HTPC for emulation as well as media playback, and there's no reason something like a wireless USB gamepad couldn't be used for the main interface.

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    as far as I know Girder has a gamepad plugin.
    You can use that to control MP then with the gamepad.

A

Anonymous

@sicboy
    i already knew about JoyToKey. it is awesome. however, when you use that to map gamepad presses to the keyboard keys used by MP, then you have to go through all your emulators and map them to use the same buttons, which is a pain...i can live with it, but i'd rather not. i'm also trying keep the number of programs running in the background to a minimum.

CoolHammer
    obviously, you can't cram all the functionality of a remote with it's multitude of buttons into a gamepad. just the basics would be nice:
    gamepad left = keyboard left
    etc.
    gamepad button a = keyboard a
    etc.
    gamepad button start = keyboard esc

i'm coming from an XBMC perspective, so the gamepad i'm using is an xbox gamepad connected to my PC. for regular gamepads, just substitue numbers where i have letters and words for buttons.

MrMario64
    i'll give that plugin a look if i can find it. while i'm trying to figure out where to find, it would be great if someone could point me to it...in case i can't find it.

A

Anonymous

ok, i'll lump girder and JoyToKey in the same solution-bucket...except girder would be more complicated and expensive.

aren't you guys tying into to directx anyway on the windows version? you could just use directx to get the input from the gamepad i think...it's been awhile since i dabbled in directx game-programming so i don't know.

i can definitely live without this, i just thought it would be nice and easy to implement. i a little surprised that it wasn't already there since the keyboard controls mirror the gamepad controls in XBMC.

A

Anonymous

MrMario64 said:
    as far as I know Girder has a gamepad plugin.
    You can use that to control MP then with the gamepad.

it would be nice to limit the amount of thid party aps in order to have a good "out of the box" functuality.

that way people wont have to scour the net for these lil programs that may or not exist on a server somewhere out there in cyberspace.

CoolHammer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2004
    Finland
    Ok .. now i get it .. thinking gamepad as a extra controller would make sense.
    Let's take a example.
    You would like to play playstation game ..
    Instead of taking that remote you could grap your gamepad
    Browse trough menus to your game of choice and voila .. you are playing the game. .. Yes, it makes sense to me now.

When palying with you videos, mytv ... so on i would use my remote tho

@Kthulu
    You said you have some backround with directx programming?
    There are at least two examples off remote plugins on the source.
    MCE remote and usb??? remote plugins. Could you look up them and tell if you could start plugin for directinput?

CoolHammer

A

Anonymous

CoolHammer said:
    Ok .. now i get it .. thinking gamepad as a extra controller would make sense.
    Let's take a example.
    You would like to play playstation game ..
    Instead of taking that remote you could grap your gamepad
    Browse trough menus to your game of choice and voila .. you are playing the game. .. Yes, it makes sense to me now.

When palying with you videos, mytv ... so on i would use my remote tho

@Kthulu
    You said you have some backround with directx programming?
    There are at least two examples off remote plugins on the source.
    MCE remote and usb??? remote plugins. Could you look up them and tell if you could start plugin for directinput?

CoolHammer

yes not only that, navigation through gui with a gamepad is far more intuitive, also with all the buttons on a gamepad, you can assign fast forward, play, stop, etc to the gamepad buttons. the possibilities are great.

have internal gui/directinput support is superior to having some 3rd party ap because it will NOT interfere with the gamepad setup in the emulator program.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom