Generic HID remote and Mediaportal - How to start??? (1 Viewer)

fab4272

Portal Member
January 21, 2009
Home Country
HI All,

I have a generic HID remote from Jaycar with a green start button on it that is normally used to start media center. I have tried using MPtray to get it to start mediaportal, but I cannot do it.

Is there a way to start Mediaportal using this remote? I have the keyboard plugin and find that this remote is satisfactory for mediaportal.

Thanks in advance.

iancalderban

Portal Pro
December 12, 2008
milton keynes
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
HI All,

I have a generic HID remote from Jaycar with a green start button on it that is normally used to start media center. I have tried using MPtray to get it to start mediaportal, but I cannot do it.

Is there a way to start Mediaportal using this remote? I have the keyboard plugin and find that this remote is satisfactory for mediaportal.

Thanks in advance.

I use a gyration which also shows up as generic HID. I used eventghost.

- use EG 0.36 or later (beta versions) which have MP plugin
- add the MP plugin in EG. In MP, set remote to "generic HID" mode. remove keyboard plugin (I found it conflicted).
- add a generic HID plugin for your remote in EG. In my case it shows up 7 times . I needed two of them but didn't know which. so trial and error. press buttons and see which ones register as hid codes (left hand windows in EG). if nothing shows up, its not registering.
- start pressing buttons on your remote and see if EG registers them
- once you found the code for the green button, add a "start program" macro in EG, configure it to point to MP .exe file, and drag the HID code that you found for the green button to it.
- press the button and see what EG does. hopefully it launched MP.

- you can add the same hid codes into the mp plugin section of EG, it will make all the different functions of MP work right with your remote. so the green button can go to the home screen when MP is active.

I also had to disable (actuall rename the eh*.exe's, nothing else worked) microsoft MCE to stop that launching as well from the green button but thats another story.

HTH
Ian
Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom