Generic Keyboard/Remote Input Plugin (1 Viewer)

yatesd

Portal Pro
April 30, 2007
Has anyone else tried this on RC2?

I seem to now be getting a crash when I perform the Update Mappings from the Configuration although this could be related to the fact that i forgot to copy my keyboard.xml from my old configuration and created a new one from memory.

Does anyone have a keyboard.xml that they have created for IMON remotes to get the MyMovies etc buttons working that I could steal?

yatesd

Portal Pro
April 30, 2007
Thanks, I deleted my keyboard.xml and created a new templete one and that also seems to have stopped the crashing so assume it was mistake (sorry...). I just need to remember noew how to create it properly again :)

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    I have an MCE RF remote keyboard. The normal keys work fine with MP "out of the box". Only the special function keys (e.g. TV, Music, Pictures) aren't recognized. Since I didn't even find a way to assign these functions in the regular MP Configuration "General - Keys and Sounds", I thought this plug-in might help. Unfortunately, it doesn't pick up the needed keys in "Learn Mode". In fact, the normal "Keys and Sounds" configuration also doesn't respond to these keypresses, even though I had no difficulty teaching it the other special function keys (e.g. Play/Pause, Mute, Next Track, Previous Track) from this keyboard. Needless to say, the "phantom" keys work fine for calling up Music, TV, etc. in XP MCE. Why can't MP recognize them? The keyboard isn't programmable. How can I get these keys to work in MP?

patricon

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    rsbrux

well, you are right about programming special keys (like my music, my tv, etc) but you can assign that functions to standard window keys (for example ctrl+m for my music) and then, using EventGhost you can map that keys to your remote. This is the way i'm using it... i hope that it could help you too...

regards,

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Hi Patricon,
    Thanks for the response! I tried out EventGhost, but (using the keyboard plugin), it also didn't log the special function keys for TV, Music, Pictures, etc.
    Just for clarity, it's the RF keyboard (RK0410) that came with my Scaleo E that I'm trying to get working here.
    My remote works fine using the standard "MCE remote" selection in MP's configuration. All I needed to add was the MCE Replacement tray so I could use "the green button".
    Any other ideas what I could try? According to FSC, the keyboard input also gets processed through the IR driver, even though it's an RF device. In device manager, it just appears as another USB HID.

P.S. After further research I discovered the HIP plugin for EventGhost, which revealed not one, but 3 entries for the RF kbd. All of them reported events from the keys in question, but only one was able to distinguish between the different functions. This opens the way to the solution you suggest above. A more elegant solution would be to used the MediaPortal plugin for EventGhost mentioned here. Unfortunately, my searches haven't yet turned it up. This post in the EventGhost forum says it is included in EventGhost 0.3.6.1108, but the version I found for download, 0.3.5c build 908, doesn't include it. Any idea wher to get the newer EventGhost?

P.P.S Turns out that the version mentioned above is a beta, available here. I'll report back as soon as I've tried it out.

P.P.P.S. The event macros now all fire properly in EventGhost. EventGhost even complains, if MP isn't running! Unfortunately, the MP plugin commands seem to have no effect on MP. Attached is the resulting XML file from EventGhost.

SysOp(s) feel free to move this post if you want, it's gotten a bit off-topic.

Attachments

• MediaPortal.xml
      30.6 KB

patricon

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    You can get latest betas here: http://www.eventghost.org/downloads/ I'm not sure about you keyboard capabilites but, best bet is to use the HID plugin in EventGhost (i'm using this plugins with my keyboard and it shows four entries for different functions in my keyboard, so i've used all of them). First add all the HID entries to EventGhost and then, press each key to get the event in the left pane and drag it to right pane.

regards,

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Been there, done that. The macros with the MP commands trigger properly on the keypresses I want, but MP doesn't respond. I verified that EventGhost is executing the actions by adding an action to each macro to launch MP. MP starts, but the switch in MP to TV, Music, Pictures or Video doesn't happen.
    Attached is my latest XML for EventGhost.

Attachments

• MediaPortal.xml
      30.6 KB

patricon

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I'm not using the MediaPortal plugin in eventghost, i'm using Generic Remote/Keyboard input plugin to remap special functions (like My videos, My music, etc) and EventGhost to set focus in MP window and send the keypress events...

regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom