Generic subtitles retriever library (movpic, tvseries etc.) (1 Viewer)

Gup

Portal Pro
May 29, 2007
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Gibman,

Do you have any idea when this will be implemented in TVSeries and moving pictures?
:D for this great addition

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Gibman,

Do you have any idea when this will be implemented in TVSeries and moving pictures?
    :D for this great addition

In the next release of TVSeries a new subtitle downloading feature is included in. The UI is different than gibman's version (which is the patch in the first post), but it uses the same SubtitleDownloader library.

For Moving Pictures fforde, me and gibman are planning something for downloading the subtitles but not much has been done yet.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Suggestion for smart ordered subtitle choice list

Thank you for the subtitle search seco, it should save me a lot of time searching for subtitles manualy. Cheers!

Suggestion:

Some of the subtitle websites (particularly for movies) have information on the video filesize and the number of cds (file parts). Maybe in the future you can think about integration of a smarter search using this information. If a subtitle source has exact match on filesize and #cds then it would be a different colour in the OSD, suggesting to the user that this is probably the best subtitle to choose.

Along the same lines, if the subtitles library could also look at the video filename and see if it contains any additional search strings that match then it is also more likely to be a correct match eg. "divX" "h264" "720P" "REPACK" "aAF" "Empire Release" "HDTV" etc.... These could also be in a different colour or alternatively higher up the list.

Other useful information to priorities possible matches:
    • Video fps rate
    • Download count
    • User rating

Maybe you could do the following (in order):
    1. Default colour = Blue
    2. If video fps rate is wrong then subtitle choice is in orange (because unlikely to be a match, but is a lot more likely than a subtitle with an uncorrect file part count)
    3. If cd (filepart) count is wrong subtitle choice is red (because obviously it's extremely unlikely to be a match)
    4. If filesize is an exact match then colour = Green (because it is very very likely to be the correct subtitle for your rip)
    Within a colour the subtitle choices are somehow ordered based on a combination of download count, user rating and text string filename matches.

For Example:
    Movie = Lord of war
    Filename = Lord.of.war.xvid.telesync.uNiT3D.mkv
    CD count = 2
    Filesize = 645,000 kb + 631,000 kb = 976,000 kb
    Video fps = 23.976

Subtitle choices for Movie = Lord of War:
    Lord.of.war.tele.srt - 2 cds - 976,000 kb
    Lord.of.war.xvid.telesync.uNiT3D.srt - 2 cds
    Lord.of.war.divx.kingdom(2cds).srt - 2 cds - 23.976 fps
    Lord.of.war.xvid.srt - 2 cds - 30 fps
    Lord.of.war.720p.bluray.srt - 23.976 fps - 1 cd - 199 downloads
    Lord.of.war.telesync.kingdom.srt - 23.976 fps - 1 cd - 723,000 kb - 100 downloads
    Lord.of.war.1080p.dts.srt - 23.976 fps - 1 cd - 50 downloads

Ordered List:
    Lord.of.war.tele.srt
    Lord.of.war.xvid.telesync.uNiT3D.srt
    Lord.of.war.divx.kingdom(2cds).srt

Lord.of.war.xvid.srt
    Lord.of.war.720p.bluray.srt
    Lord.of.war.telesync.kingdom.srt
    Lord.of.war.1080p.dts.srt

Obviously the first 2 subtitles are the correct choices for this movie, and using the orderering logic above they are both listed at the top.

I also have a question:

Some English language movies have small bits of foreign dialog and have subtitles for just these parts (ie not the whole movie). Does anyone know what these type of subtitles are called, and if there is a website that puts these types of subtitles in a different category. I have a few movies like this, and I have been unsuccessful in finding English subtitles that only do the foreign bits.

EDIT: Actually there is an error, because a 2part movie would have 2 filenames and 2 srt files, but i think you probably get the general idea without me re-editing my post.

Attachments

• subtitles.gif
      subtitles.gif
      40 KB

wackid

Portal Member
    January 3, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Still curious when this will be available to moving pictures.

The tutorial is not very clear for me.

I'd rather watch movies then series so it would be awesome to have this great feature for movies.

Zinu

Portal Pro
    February 28, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    It's based on an old MovPic revision and you shouldn't use this anymore.
    They're working on implementing subtitle downloading into MovPic, but for some reason it's gonna take a long time before it's in there... I also suggested basing it on this but they told me that won't happen.

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    We are currently developing a plugin for downloading subtitles which can be used with Moving Pictures and TVSeries.

The plugin is based more or less on gibman's implementation which is in the first post.

wackid

Portal Member
    January 3, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    We are currently developing a plugin for downloading subtitles which can be used with Moving Pictures and TVSeries.

The plugin is based more or less on gibman's implementation which is in the first post.

Ahhh thats great news!!! i will subscribe and wait patiently

:D

kgk

Portal Member
    October 31, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    This has been working great in TVSeries for months now. Anyone know if its supported in moving pictures yet?

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Im using it in my own custom compiled vers. of movpics for months now :)

I wouldn't hold your breath for this patch to reach the official codebase anytime soon.

/gibman

This has been working great in TVSeries for months now. Anyone know if its supported in moving pictures yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom