Tools and other software Getting started with Eventghost(plus!)...is there a guide??? (2 Viewers)

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
February 10, 2012
Leeds
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Got myself a Remote....an Emprex 3009ARF-III....which is an MCE type!!

I understand that this can be made to control MP...using Eventghost...?

Is there a guide out there that will get me started??

Thanks

erichzann

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 25, 2011
    Oxford
    Home Country
    You don't need event ghost for that. Just tick mce remote in the mediaportal configuration remote section.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Got myself a Remote....an Emprex 3009ARF-III....which is an MCE type!!
    There seem to be two types of remote control that are MCE compatible:

(1) Remotes that send infra red RC6 signals. These work identically to the original Microsoft remote, and can be used immediately with MediaPortal by enabling "MCE Remote" in "MediaPortal Config" (as @erichzann said).

(2) Remotes that generate keyboard shortcuts. These can be either IR remotes (e.g. the Ortek VRC-1100), or RF remotes (e.g. the Emprex 3009ARF). The problem with these remotes is that they generate keyboard shortcuts for Windows Media Center, and these shortcuts are different from the keyboard shortcuts that MediaPortal uses.

If you like a challenge, and want to learn how to use EventGhost, you can probably get the Emprex to work (but I have never used EventGhost, so cannot suggest how to use it).

Alternatively, since the Emprex is relatively inexpensive, you could consign it to the recycle bin and purchase a remote control that can send RC6 IR signals. There are various cheap Chinese remotes available (Maplin should have some; look for "RC6" on the packaging), or buy a universal remote such as one from the One-for-All range (I purchased mine from Sainsburys!). I currently use the "Essence 4", which can control up to four devices using pre-programmed codes; the code for WMC (and hence for MediaPortal) is 1272. There are other One-for-All remotes available, if you don't like the button layout of the "Essence 4".

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Sepulchre

Portal Pro
    July 17, 2010
    Last edited:

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
    February 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    Bit of a delay in getting back on this one!
    Thanks both to CyberSimian and Sepulchre for comments!

This is a real drag....as I've tried soooo many times to get recommendations on a useful remote (available in the UK)

Just bought the Emprex 3009.....so loathe to bin it at this stage....:(

Have now once again, ticked mce remote in the mediaportal configuration remote section...(thanks erichzann!!)...and now have some limited functionality....yippeeeee!

To get greater functionning...I suppose I now need to learn about further mapping of the buttons on the remote...but am finding the wiki pretty difficult to understand.......
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...Portal_Configuration/8_Remote/Mapping_Buttons

Has anyone had any success with this???

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Just bought the Emprex 3009.....so loathe to bin it at this stage....:(
    I agree; I hate binning anything that still has useful life. :)

To get greater functioning...I suppose I now need to learn about further mapping of the buttons on the remote...but am finding the wiki pretty difficult to understand.......
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...Portal_Configuration/8_Remote/Mapping_Buttons
    The button-mapping described there applies to remote controls that send RC6 infra-red signals; that is not going to work for remote controls that send keyboard shortcuts. :(

There are some WMC keyboard shortcuts that are identical to the MediaPortal keyboard shortcuts, which is why some of your buttons do in fact work. Although I currently use the "Essence 4" (sends RC6), I also have the Ortek VRC-1100 (sends WMC keyboard shortcuts), and the following buttons do work:

up; down; left; right; select; channel up; channel down; volume up; volume down; numeric digits.

But the transport-control buttons don't work, as well as others such as: EPG, return, info, mute. It is these buttons where you need to use some other software (such as EventGhost or AutoHotKey) to map the WMC keyboard shortcut into the MP keyboard shortcut. For example, for the fast-forward button, you need to use EventGhost or AutoHotKey to map keyboard combination CTRL_SHIFT_F (the WMC keyboard shortcut) into F6 (the MediaPortal keyboard shortcut).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom