Getting started with Media Portal....!!!! (1 Viewer)

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
February 10, 2012
Leeds
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi People.....hope this is the right place for my query!?

Bought a TBS 6922 card almost 18 months ago...and never got it going really:confused:

I initially tried Media Centre....found it difficult to navigate, and for some reason, HD content was never available.:(

This was particularly frustrating, as my main reason for buying the card in the first place was to view/record HD content.

Can someone PLEASE direct me to a tutorial...PREFERABLY 'Idiot proof' in it's approach, which will enable me to get going???:)

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
February 10, 2012
Leeds
Home Country
Thanks for this!
However....within minutes of following on screen instruction, and proceeding to TV server configuration...I am presented with a SQL test screen.
No matter which SQL option I select, a connection cannot be made, and progress halts!!!

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Not sure what you are talking about, however there was a window with a message about setting the password maybe you clicked past it without reading it. By default the password is MediaPortal or mediaportal or Mediaportal. Did you enter the SQL password? Is this where you are stuck :)

Last edited:

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
    February 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    .............. It doesn't matter that he is installing a slightly older version of MePo, ...........

This is the heart of my problem!
    Evidently...it most certainly DOES matter when following a guide for another version!![DOUBLEPOST=1371336029][/DOUBLEPOST]Managed to progress past the SQL problem encountered earlier.
    Opted for one click installation....so deviating from on-line 'tutorial'

After a couple of hours following tutorial....am now in position where nothing works at all.

Surely there is some actual help OUT THERE???

Last edited by a moderator:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I fixed your quotation error...

.............. It doesn't matter that he is installing a slightly older version of MePo, ...........

This is the heart of my problem!
    Evidently...it most certainly DOES matter when following a guide for another version!!

I assume the user who created that guide had a previous installation of MediaPortal that had already created the SQL database. There is a dialog box that pops up during install telling you about the password and you have to click ok to continue. So in fact it DOESN'Tmatter that this is 1.3 alpha. The requirement to enter the password has been around for 5+ years and I have only seen 4 forum posts with users stuck at this step (out of 1000s and 1000s of installs). MediaPortal is a really powerful media-center that is designed for power users, maybe you should try a less featured basic media center that is easier to setup, eg. Windows Media Center.

After a couple of hours following tutorial....am now in position where nothing works at all.

Nothing works at all? try this...

Surely there is some actual help OUT THERE???

Sorry I haven't been of any ACTUAL help to you. I give ACTUAL help to many new users and most people are grateful.

PS. If you had bothered to ACTUALLY read the installation guide it tells you to enter the default password (MediaPortal) under tv-server setup guide.
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/13_Setup_Guides
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/13_Setup_Guides/2_TV_Setup
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/13_Setup_Guides/2_TV_Setup/1_Server_Setup

Also the fact that you didn't actually follow the steps in the video guide either is a bit of a worry.

Good luck.

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Attention: @SiLenTYL - You might want add a text popup box to your installation guide. You can add this to existing youtube videos under video management -> select video -> annotations

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
    February 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    Getting shirty at this stage really isn't necessary.
    It seems that you didn't actually READ my earlier response......

.....Managed to progress past the SQL problem encountered earlier.......

I find that quite worrying.

Many thanks for your invaluable input to date, kiwijunglist!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @tonewheelkev
    Just FYI, that SQL test connection thing is 100% normal.
    If you have no idea about SQL servers you probably ended up installing MySQL as part of the TV Server install progress. It should have been possible to select the MySQL option, enter your server IP address then successfully test the connection.
    Anyhow, glad to hear you have it sorted now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom