[other] Getting the word out.... MORE PR!!!!! (2 Viewers)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    So, let the public bashing begin :D

• sticker looks quite bad in my opinion (no, I cannot do anything close to that...)
    • 3-fold flyer is really good looking! Better than most of the flyers I have ever seen.
    • shame that our default skin is quite poor and cannot be used on the marketing material (Black Glass looks really good on the flyer)
    • Do we have needed copyrights for the FanArt that is visible on the flyer? I doubt :(

MrEMan

Portal Member
    February 3, 2007
    Home Country
    I completely disagree, but I understand that is how you see it. I am not creating work for myself.... Nobody is paying me. I am doing all this out of my own pocket.

As for trade shows, this is exactly the kind of PR MediaPortal needs (plus other kinds as well). But due to the nature of Open Source Software, to have a network of users spread the word is the best way. Let's face it, Open Source does not equal lots of $$$ so PR needs to be done by those who A) Believe in the product, B) Can dedicate a few hours a week and the occasional trade show every now and then, C) Desire to do so.

But again... thank you for your observation about how trade shows wont help us. I like a POSITIVE thinker!!!!

I think you took part of my comments as an attack and you are wrong. I did't say wont help I said not the best way. I've been to some shows where all it boils down to for the presenters is collect contact details for the after show sellathon. Who know what the best way is????

As for your A, B and C. Anyone who visits here gets the full MP show and have done for years. After all the comments like it must be so expensive and complicated most end up with a setup like mine :D I do that because MP is soooo good.

I'll surely help where I can.

Regards

Have to agree with tourettes on the sticker. It probably took the longest to make as well.

The flyer is great but is there a better image you can use on the front?

Regards

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I actually use a simple banner for my sigs in almost every forum

Forums can be pretty forgiving places and we do check out new users signatures ;), problem may only arrive if say a email is sent to a business\person who takes offence at signature, they tend to think anything advertising wise is unsolicited spam, once reported it can be hard work trying to get name removed from spam list, especially if there are a few complaints.

Sadly their are a lot of people who cannot distinguish between the good advertising, against evil unsolicited for profit spam :(

Aout adding a nice MP e-mail signature/footnote.

I hear the objection and understand it fully and agree.
    But:
    A - It could be on a voluntairy basis. Business persons wouldnt do this then I gues. Others dont mind. For me, a home user, I would not object to it. As long as the possible negatives are always clear.

B - It is very personal and directed to the digital aware people.

C - There can be many versions of the footnote/signature available. Just text. Just a picture. Text with a link, pictures with .... etc etc. etc. For each person and limit a version.

D - Saves printing costs :)

Hope the points make sense.

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    So, let the public bashing begin :D

• sticker looks quite bad in my opinion (no, I cannot do anything close to that...)
    • 3-fold flyer is really good looking! Better than most of the flyers I have ever seen.
    • shame that our default skin is quite poor and cannot be used on the marketing material (Black Glass looks really good on the flyer)
    • Do we have needed copyrights for the FanArt that is visible on the flyer? I doubt :(

I agree the sticker could be better, but it is good none-the-less. I think that if you just removed the north and south squiggly lines it would be better, imo. The brochure is awesome! As for the skins... well this list of hardware being used at the show will help explain:

• 32” LCD TV (x2)
    • 22” LCD Monitors (x4)
    • Slim form factor HTPC (x2)
    • 15.6” Laptop (x2)
    • Mid-Tower HTPC (x1)
    • WMC Remote (x3)
    • Wireless KB/Mouse (x1)
    • 10” Netbook (x1)
    • 10” Android Tablet (aMPdroid)(x1)
    • 4” Android Phone (aMPdroid)(x1)

One 32" will be used for PR videos, slideshows etc.... the other 32" will be running aMPed (as that is the skin I use the most) the 4 22" will be displaying StreamedMP, Default, Maya and Black Glass. Plugins being showcased will be: MovingPictures, TVSeries, OnlineVideos, Pandora Music Box, My Netflix, Music Videos... maybe a couple others. Other plugins that will be used but not "Showcased" will be Intel. Frame Corr., FanArt Handler, Keyboard input plugin and a few others. If anyone has any other suggestions for plugins/skins please let me know.

I completely disagree, but I understand that is how you see it. I am not creating work for myself.... Nobody is paying me. I am doing all this out of my own pocket.

As for trade shows, this is exactly the kind of PR MediaPortal needs (plus other kinds as well). But due to the nature of Open Source Software, to have a network of users spread the word is the best way. Let's face it, Open Source does not equal lots of $$$ so PR needs to be done by those who A) Believe in the product, B) Can dedicate a few hours a week and the occasional trade show every now and then, C) Desire to do so.

But again... thank you for your observation about how trade shows wont help us. I like a POSITIVE thinker!!!!

I think you took part of my comments as an attack and you are wrong. I did't say wont help I said not the best way. I've been to some shows where all it boils down to for the presenters is collect contact details for the after show sellathon. Who know what the best way is????

As for your A, B and C. Anyone who visits here gets the full MP show and have done for years. After all the comments like it must be so expensive and complicated most end up with a setup like mine :D I do that because MP is soooo good.

I'll surely help where I can.

Regards

Have to agree with tourettes on the sticker. It probably took the longest to make as well.

The flyer is great but is there a better image you can use on the front?

Regards

Right on Eman =) Sorry if I took your comments in the wrong way. I thot you were trying to shoot us down with negativity =) No worries bro I see what you mean and thank you for your support bro!!!

I actually use a simple banner for my sigs in almost every forum

Forums can be pretty forgiving places and we do check out new users signatures ;), problem may only arrive if say a email is sent to a business\person who takes offence at signature, they tend to think anything advertising wise is unsolicited spam, once reported it can be hard work trying to get name removed from spam list, especially if there are a few complaints.

Sadly their are a lot of people who cannot distinguish between the good advertising, against evil unsolicited for profit spam :(

Aout adding a nice MP e-mail signature/footnote.

I hear the objection and understand it fully and agree.
    But:
    A - It could be on a voluntairy basis. Business persons wouldnt do this then I gues. Others dont mind. For me, a home user, I would not object to it. As long as the possible negatives are always clear.

B - It is very personal and directed to the digital aware people.

C - There can be many versions of the footnote/signature available. Just text. Just a picture. Text with a link, pictures with .... etc etc. etc. For each person and limit a version.

D - Saves printing costs :)

Hope the points make sense.

Ray and edterbak both raise good points. I think this idea can work out but only if we keep a tight reign on things. Ray bring up a VERY good point in that it CAN backfire on us.

And all the people say,....

=)

You are so right, Ray!

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I want to keep the borchour as general as possible so that it can be reused many times. This means that I won't be adding showspecific info. At least I see no pro in making it show-specific.
    Will work on it during the next days. :)

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I want to keep the borchour as general as possible so that it can be reused many times. This means that I won't be adding showspecific info. At least I see no pro in making it show-specific.

I completely agree

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

I completely agree

what i could imagine though is to have some kind of small infocard at each htpc to show its specs - maybe using the same design as the brochour. maybe i have time to try this tomorrow - time to get some sleep now :)

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    what i could imagine though is to have some kind of small infocard at each htpc to show its specs - maybe using the same design as the brochour. maybe i have time to try this tomorrow - time to get some sleep now :)
    Is there any reason we cannot add a webpage for each trade show on our website? Similar to the way we add reviews of MP?

(EDIT: seems to me they should be promoted/listed on our website with dates in any case)

That way one screen at the show can be open to MP Website - to the page for that Trade Show - plus anyone can look up more details about MP - such as system requirements! It has the added advantage that booth visitors become familiar with our website so they are more likely to return later if interested.

Ofc best of all is no printing costs for info card. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom