[other] Getting the word out.... MORE PR!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    ^ Just saw that on your webpage. Great work!
    sponsor1.jpg

Btw, do we get free sandwiches now? :p

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    @Furetto thanks!
    Centre is my fault - Canadian/British spelling - in US it is center. Extendibility and Extensibility are synonymous, both are accurate. Thanks for the excellent proofing Furetto.
    Changed all Furetto listed except for this then. :)

New versions attached for checking - if there are no more errors, I will upload the print version to the HP. :)

Sorry if I'm late to the party. I have a little suggestion about the first column's last paragraph.

"dis-
    play"
    and
    "Me-
    diaPortal"

Why not just move "display" and "MediaPortal" down to the next line instead so they won't get cut like that. I'm sure the space needed is available before the ending "popcorn!".

Same goes for the second column, "variety". There is room in the bottom of the column. For the third column, it appears like there's not enough room to get rid of the forced page-breaks, but here's another suggestion, move the whole page blocks up a bit more, so the amount of empty space above and below the text is the same height (from the top edge and from the sample skin showcase below).

Otherwise it's all good. And yes, Subs for everyone please. :)

Emph

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    The brochure looks very slick and professional. The stickers.. well. :D Just go with the first design, but loose the "weave" background and the "stitches" around the edge. Less is more. It's late here now (typical) but I can work up some mockups or even a complete sticker design as well, just to get some more designs and inspiration.

Emph
    How are these coming along?

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Centre is my fault - Canadian/British spelling - in US it is center. Extendibility and Extensibility are synonymous, both are accurate. Thanks for the excellent proofing Furetto.
    A bit OT: At homepage, we use "center" ("MediaPortal: everything else is just a Media Center"), meaning US-spelling.¨If so, shouldn't it be "MediaPortal: Everything else is just a Media Center"?

Ref.: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colon_(punctuation)

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Even in the US capitalization varies after the colon, as you can see in the Wikipedia link: "The Chicago Manual of Style, however, requires capitalization only when the colon introduces a direct quotation or two or more complete sentences." American journalistic style does usually capitalize after a colon. Since in Canada, Britain and usually in Europe you don't capitalize after a colon I thought we could follow the Chicago Manual of style which is a more general style guide.

TBH the ONLY reason we (or at least I) use American English is because the default spell check is usually set to US in our web software, and most users also end up with that as default on English systems. So it has become somewhat of a digital standard, unfortunately :) Soon I will have to write 'nite' and 'lite' and 'cu' and 'ur'.... :p

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Even in the US capitalization varies after the colon, as you can see in the Wikipedia link: "The Chicago Manual of Style, however, requires capitalization only when the colon introduces a direct quotation or two or more complete sentences." American journalistic style does usually capitalize after a colon. Since in Canada, Britain and usually in Europe you don't capitalize after a colon I thought we could follow the Chicago Manual of style which is a more general style guide.

TBH the ONLY reason we (or at least I) use American English is because the default spell check is usually set to US in our web software, and most users also end up with that as default on English systems. So it has become somewhat of a digital standard, unfortunately :) Soon I will have to write 'nite' and 'lite' and 'cu' and 'ur'.... :p

Dadeo.... I will say you are 99.9% right =) English is a VERY fluid language that has had more additions/changes in the last 10 years than in the last 200 years. That being said the new rule of the English language are "Does it look right?" and the lowercase E, albeit technically correct, does not look right. And when you consider that the upper case E is also technically correct and looks better, I think the choice is uppercase.

That being said this is a 'C' level (if that makes sense) detail. It is important, but seeing as how the argument can be made for either side correctly, I dont see a need to go out of the way to make changes to this retro-actively.. (ie changing any web graphcis) and if you are not going to change it there then you DONT want to change it on newer stuff.... consistency and unity is more important in this instance.

Just my two cents

cyberfix

Portal Member
    January 16, 2007
    Home Country
    I saw the post about the trade show and just had to read through this entire thread! It is exciting what is being done in my backyard! Do not take that literally, I just mean that I live in the Dallas area. It would be great to make it to the show as I have been using MP for years on my home theater system and it would be great to see other ideas.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for all of the hard work that everyone does and has done with MP!

cyberfix

Lyfesaver74

Public Relations
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 25, 2010
    Texas
    Home Country
    @cyberfix Right on =) It is always nice to meet fellow Dallasites =) And yes, please do stop by the show and introduce yourself =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom