Goodbye MediaPortal (1 Viewer)

Koschel

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 6, 2005
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Building a well working HTPC is much more difficult than most of the "newbies" think. Just like others here, I'm using MediaPortal + TV Server since the early releases two years ago. During the whole year 2008 your HTPC in the living room was only working as expected, nothing else.
    On one hand I can understand the problems "newbies" and sometimes even advanced run into.... but....on the other hand for nearly all of the questions there is an answer here in the forum. Maybe some users are afraid to ask, cause they think: "It could be a silly question from a newbie" - Well, there are no silly question.
    No one of the former or actual teammembers started his HTPC-project as an expert. All of us had to learn and to ask.

As infinityloop often said, you can even read it in the Wiki: Keep away from "tuning tools". A dedicated HTPC as no playground for testing programs and tools, it's no office-pc neither a game-pc.

Maybe one reason for a lot of the problems user run into is, that nearly no one reads the manual or the Wiki, is to "lazy" to search the forum or is an HTPC expert by nature

Sorry for some hard words, but it had to be said.

Have an nice easter weekend and enjoy your HTPC with MediaPortal.

risu

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    As infinityloop often said, you can even read it in the Wiki: Keep away from "tuning tools". A dedicated HTPC as no playground for testing programs and tools, it's no office-pc neither a game-pc.
    While I see your point on dedicated HTPC I can't see no reason why you couldn't combine HTPC and Game-PC as a complete home entertainment system, I know I do :D A powerfull PC can handle tv-server recordings just fine even when you play CPU intense games on it. The thing is to not load your HTPC full with gimmicky utilities or loads of codecs to overcome some playback problems when you have absolutely no clue what you actually need.

frenzy

Portal Pro
    April 29, 2008
    Home Country
    France France
    Playing games on the pc is not the same as maintaining a gaming pc (overclocking cpu+gpu, crossfire/sli, patching&tweaking OS and drivers etc.), which is what Koschel probably means.

risu

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I've run overclocked GPU and CPU on MediaPortal HTPC without any troubles, same with OS tweaks and beta drivers for GPU. In many cases official drivers don't even always support working hardware acceleration for video (all ATI-owners should know what I'm talking about here). When talking about slimming OS features and such, that's a bad idea to start with even on Gaming PC as unpredictable results may occur. Only thing I wouldn't really suggest is to run SLI/crossfire on HTPC due much higher idle power consumption. And having loads of tools/utils running which you have now clue what they really do.. but all the same stuff applies to "real" gaming PCs too. Clean systems just perform always better overall.

frenzy

Portal Pro
    April 29, 2008
    Home Country
    France France
    You run MP with no trouble on an overclocked pc. Someone else will have trouble. Don't suggest that it's ok to run MP on overclocked machines because that is simply not true. Unless you really know what you're doin. And since most of the noobs think that they know what they're doin, the previous suggestion is nullified.
    MP doesn't need overclocking, some brains do.

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    I agree that MP is not a system for non-geeky people. However, if you know what you are doing (and not "think you know"), then its pretty easy to get stable system.
    I keep searching, but there is nothing out there yet that can match MP for me. There doesn't seem to be anything to match the TV server in any other product.

I have to agree on the point of not installign too many utilities. After much trial and error I found that the best MP is on with minimal software on it. Windows + a few chosen codecs, and well, thats about it. Then again, my PC is only used for MP - other people probably use it as their main PC too, which could make things a bit more complicated.

risu

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 22, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Not trying argue here. I just wanted to point out that you actually CAN game on HTPC if you want, taken it's powerfull enough. It's just useless to frighten people and tell not to without a good reason.

And I'm not saying that overclocking to the max is a good thing for any PC. I just say mild overclocking can be done even on HTPC but you have to know what you are doing (I don't ever overclock my primary gaming PC to the max either).

Actually there's one and a really good reason why HTPC and Gaming-PC can coexist on same case and it'is that HTPC DOES get advantage of good CPU. And while you add modern video card it has a lot of shader prosessing power which can be used to enhance video too. When you have good CPU + GPU then there's no need have an XBOX360 or PS3 if you wan't to game on livingroom for driving sims or some sports games.

I've seen countless posts where people try to get their lowpower systems running and just can't get fluid video movement, then they upgrade to overpowered system and things indeed get easier. Actually I thing lowpower HTPCs are more for real geeks and advanced users (if noob can get such running fine without trouble, consider him lucky). Mostly the trouble on lowpower systems (besides trying to get HW accell working on non-standard formats) is that people tend to want all kinds of neat features forgetting they've gone for low wattage. It's always a tradeoff.

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Not trying argue here. I just wanted to point out that you actually CAN game on HTPC if you want, taken it's powerfull enough. It's just useless to frighten people and tell not to without a good reason.
    There is no argument that a HTPC can co-exist with other functions, like gaming and general office/web browsing duties.

However, the more you add to the mix, the more you are likely to break something :)

Take the problems with ATI video drivers. Generally you want to have the latest driver pack for gaming as they fix issues ever realease for specific games. However, some drivers break HD video acceleration in different OSs. So what do you choose, bug free gaming or bug free HTPC? The OS choice is another example. Many games still have issues with Vista (so I hear, I don't game so don't know for sure), so gamers are more likely to choose XP. However Vista has better and more video features, like EVR.

This is just one example of giving the general advice that gaming and HTPC functions should be seperate. It's not about a gaming PC vs. a HTPC with regards to hardware (clearly they share a lot of parts), it's all about the software choice.

moab

Portal Pro
    April 22, 2008
    California
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Especially when the OP hasn't even logged in since creating this thread :rolleyes:

This is a good question.
    IMHO the purpose of the farewell posts is to leave feedback. The departing customers care enough to leave a reason for their departure. Any good organization values "rational" feedback from a lost customer. That feedback can be used as a guide in the development process. The power of self refection is critical to an organization as it is to an individual. Many users who leave have spent many hours of their valuable time working through issues and documenting them on the forum. Then when they leave other posters respond to them with hostility and profanity. This is un-professional, disrespectful and counter to the success of the project.
    Moderator-can't we remove such negative posts?

You're contradicting yourself.

Yes, feedback is important, and the feedback exists in the original posts and the discussion following them. You cant go hacking at the threads just because you dont like the tone (within reasonable limits), as you will cut the discussion short. Amidst some of the more irritated responses I have seen in "goodbye mediaportal" posts, some interesting points have been raised throughout.

Also, This is a Public forum, as opposed to a Developers forum. In other words, there's no imperative for donators and portal members to be "professional". The whole point of a public forum is for open, unbiased discussion, by anyone who feels they have something to contribute. "Professionalism" is not an issue, not should it be, (except, perhaps for the devs and mods, who generally do the right thing anyway).

How am I contradicting myself?
    I did not use profanity. I tried to be respectful in my post.
    I take your point about professionalism. But somewhere you have to draw the line.
    Otherwise this forum needs an adult disclaimer and fine print assuming it is hosted in the civilized world.
    I felt the line got crossed and was endorsed by the moderator. And that is where I was aiming the professionalism comment.
    I can swear like a long shore man or rugby player on a pub crawl but not on this forum because a lot of young people post here. The forum moderator endorse profanity and I am trying to table it for discussion.
    If cussing like a crim and cajoling posters here is cool with everyone then fine by me but I think some health warnings should be put on the front page.
    :cool:

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I felt the line got crossed and was endorsed by the moderator. And that is where I was aiming the professionalism comment.

I take a lot of things said with a pinch of salt, we are a pretty laid back bunch of people, who just get on with things, my comments are directly regarding someone, who has never asked for help, that's like burying your head in the sand and hoping every things right with the world when you pull it back out.

Criticism is always welcome regarding something that does not work correctly, or even at all, but that same comment means you need to put in some work to help us make things better, whether it may be suggesting a alternative, helping fix the problem or just testing and giving positive\negative comments, as long as they are done professionally, we all try to help each other.

Sorry, really do not have much time for 1st, 2nd or 3rd time posters who say they have had enough and MCE is easier, we know and we have been telling people that for years, but if you want to be able to do more than MCE, then the chances are MP is for you.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom