Graphics card upgrade (1 Viewer)

henrynicholson

Portal Member
January 2, 2006
Hi

I have upgraded from a bog standard agp graphics card and installed a 3d fuzion GeForce 6200 128mb pci graphics card.

When i first installed the card I had trouble with the supplied drivers and had to download some new ones from Nvidia.

Originally Media Portal was set to auto start and when I first changed the card and before I had sorted the drivers Media Portal flashed up with a message about rendering.

Since I sorted the drivers, MP crashes at the same time when starting, namely when the box says "initializing texture string". This completely freezes my computer and the only way to turn it off is cutting off the power.

It also crashes when I try to open media portal settings so i can't look at anything in there either. I have also tried re-installing Media Portal but to no avail.

The drivers for the graphics card also includes nVidia desktop manager and nView. Could any of these associated programs be causing the problems.

Does anyone have any ideas, help would be greatly appreciated.

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    What driver version are you using and did you fully uninstall your old card before installing this new one?

Recommend staying away from 8x.xx drivers until nvidia get their s**t together.

henrynicholson

Portal Member
    January 2, 2006
    The drivers I downloaded from Nvidia are 8.1.9.8 What should I go for instead?

I forgot to uninstall the prvious card properly but once I realised I should have done that it seemed to have been uninstalled anyway. There is nothing in the device manager and nothing in add/remove programs.

Doing a direct3d test also crashes the computer.

Cheers

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Whatever the newest 70 series would be best. You should also google for a nvidia driver cleaner of some sort (or ati depending on what your old card was ).

henrynicholson

Portal Member
    January 2, 2006
    which driver are you using?

I have tried a 79.11 off 3d guru which will stay inly on 4 bit colour

A 78 from nvidia which during installation gives a black screen with a flashing cursor in the top left. Another one from nvidia from april 05 claims to not even have drivers at all.

Having installed the 78, the computer will not start at all

Please help I'm starting to lose my mind

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    It sounds like there is something wrong with your driver setup in general. Something similar happened to me once, where whenever I would install new drivers, I would have to roll back because of a conflict of some sort. I would suggest uninstalling your display driver and running an nVidia or Ati display driver cleaner as Callifo suggested above.

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Have you uninstalled your display drivers, restarted in safe mode, then run the cleanup for the drivers of your current and previous cards?

If all that doesn't work, then I hate to say it but a windows reinstall may be necessary, because something strange is going on in your driver setup.

henrynicholson

Portal Member
    January 2, 2006
    Nothing is working...done all the safe mode stuff driver cleaner never seems to remove things properly either. I think i'll just go for a total re-install and see what comes of that.

Thanks for your help though. I will probably end up posting again if things continue to go tits up.

Cheers

henrynicholson

Portal Member
    January 2, 2006
    I have now completely reinstalled windows and I still have the same problem.
    hat i get now however is this:

Trying to Media portal, i get an error report.
    If i try to go into setup it hangs the system just like before.

I couldn't get any joy out of any of the series 70 drivers so I installed the forceware from the driver download section of the main MP site. There don't seem to be any problems outside the media portal area.

I have had a look at the media portal log and it shows this:

22/01/2006 20:27:22 Create new wizard setup
    22/01/2006 20:27:26 found 0 tv cards
    22/01/2006 20:27:28 start application
    22/01/2006 20:27:28 HCW: Could not find registry entries for driver components! (Not installed?)
    22/01/2006 20:27:28 HCW: Could not find registry entries for driver components! (Not installed?)

Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom