GREAT plugin that needs work (shared DB and other features) (1 Viewer)

poppabk

Portal Pro
August 8, 2007
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Why don't you use MP TvSeries? That is way cooler for tv-series imo.

As mentioned in the TV show/music DVD thread, my TV shows are DVD iso's, which TV series is not really designed to work with. I don't want to go to the trouble of ripping individual episodes, plus I like having all the DVD extras.

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Another thing that sprung to mind is being able to wrap to the bottom or top of the list on it's boundaries. For instance I'm on the first movie in the list, but I need to go all the way to the bottom to find a movie called "Wall-E" or something similar in the lower end of the alphabet. Would be nice if I could just press up and it would end up in the bottom of the list.

I saw you've already gotten an answer to the wrap to the bottom, but it's even faster if you use the number buttons on your remotes to type the movie title "Cell phone SMS style" (1 = a, b, c | 2 = d, e, f etc). Moving Pictures will then filter the list to only match movies that have a combination of those movies.

For Wall * E = 9255 would filter out any movies starting with wxyz + abc + jkl + jkl.

Emph

Felias

Portal Pro
    August 28, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Phase one simply involves an option to turn off the movie importer for client systems. Meaning that the main system is the only one that would be automatically importing movies and artwork. There are still some problems with this, for example the client systems wont know when movies have been added or updated, so at best they would just have to periodically reload everything from the database. Obviously not ideal. The idea though is this enhancement would create a workable situation for the time being while the larger phase two enhancement is shceduled/worked on.

@fforde: Thanks for the info. As several people are running their media servers on linux, it would be awesome to have this feature as cross-plattform (e.g. in java).

da-anda

Portal Pro
    December 29, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @fforde: Thanks for the info. As several people are running their media servers on linux, it would be awesome to have this feature as cross-plattform (e.g. in java).
    Sorry for OT, but I'm curios how a linux server setup for MP would look like as MP is only running on windows as far as I know? Or is there a basic linux version without GUI available? Or did you mean that the network shares are on linux boxes?

Felias

Portal Pro
    August 28, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sorry for OT, but I'm curios how a linux server setup for MP would look like as MP is only running on windows as far as I know? Or is there a basic linux version without GUI available? Or did you mean that the network shares are on linux boxes?

I'm not really having a MP-Server Installation, as this is just being developed by fforde right now. I just have a server running linux where all movie files are stored and shared using NFS. This way i only have several thin clients that stream my media from the server. So your last guess was right :)

I guess i am at the top of the list people that can't wait for the server support, although i have the fear that it will be windows-based :-(

marvenius

Portal Pro
    September 3, 2008
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Probable the Moving pictures "server" will be Win based. Might be a while before a working implementation is released though. Some Centralized issue is planned for R2.0.0.

What i used to do was install Unix services for Windows. Can install a client for nfs shares/exports. you can create mappings to those exports from the windows client. Now i don't use that anymore. Alternative: install samba :D

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country

I'm not really having a MP-Server Installation, as this is just being developed by fforde right now. I just have a server running linux where all movie files are stored and shared using NFS. This way i only have several thin clients that stream my media from the server. So your last guess was right :)

I guess i am at the top of the list people that can't wait for the server support, although i have the fear that it will be windows-based :-(

Well keep in mind this is all pie in the sky stuff that is a pretty good ways out. But the current idea is that the "Server" would handle all the actual database management tasks (including importing files, loading movie details, etc), and all the clients would connect to the server rather than directly access and monkey with the database.

This would require some pretty dramatic changes to the code base, but the key thing to note here is all the of the existing functionality that would make up a part of the server is written in C#. Maybe if we stripped some of the MediaPortal dependencies it could be run in Mono but... I dont know... This is not stuff that will happen any time soon.

jonaskp

Portal Pro
    October 23, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Well keep in mind this is all pie in the sky stuff that is a pretty good ways out. But the current idea is that the "Server" would handle all the actual database management tasks (including importing files, loading movie details, etc), and all the clients would connect to the server rather than directly access and monkey with the database.

This would require some pretty dramatic changes to the code base, but the key thing to note here is all the of the existing functionality that would make up a part of the server is written in C#. Maybe if we stripped some of the MediaPortal dependencies it could be run in Mono but... I dont know... This is not stuff that will happen any time soon.
    This sounds great. I know it's far out, but are the plans to have this server-program as a stand-alone program or as a plugin to MediaPortal? I hope the first, since I don't have MediaPortal installed on my server (just TVserver).

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    This sounds great. I know it's far out, but are the plans to have this server-program as a stand-alone program or as a plugin to MediaPortal? I hope the first, since I don't have MediaPortal installed on my server (just TVserver).

I don't think we have thought about it that much yet. It would be ideal to have it stand alone, but currently there are a handful of MediaPortal dependencies scattered throughout the code, so it would take some significant rearchitecting of the app. I think the answer is probably yes but that is a big question so I can guarantee nothing right now. :p Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom