Grey blacks with internal player + EVR (1 Viewer)

roosterx

Portal Pro
April 24, 2006
Högsäter, Sweden
Home Country
Norway Norway
One funny thing i've noticed is that i get much better black with my Radeon 4550 than with my Geforce 9500gt, anyone have an idea of why it is like that, btw. i do not use any kind of dynamic contrast or anything.

Someone else experienced this?

The reason i care is because with the nvidia card bitstream dts-hd works with all screen refresh, but with the ati card i get handshaking issues @ 60Hz but not 24Hz.

[Edit] I should mention that this is only tested using DXVA and mpc-hc filters

grooves12

Portal Pro
November 1, 2006
The problem is a microsoft one... and everyone should be reporting it to them... it is not isolated to MediaPortal. Other media programs such as SageTV have the same issue. The fact that rolling back to an older evr.dll fixes the issue shows clearly it's something MS did to screw it up. So, everyone make bug reports to them and hopefully a fix will come about.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    but with the ati card i get handshaking issues @ 60Hz but not 24Hz.

You could try to stop the "AMD External Event Utility" Service after you configured your card and see if that fixes it for you. It saved me some troubles.

SteveZissou

Portal Member
    January 24, 2009
    looks like catalyst 9.10 drivers did the trick for me.

I'm running an integrated chipset (780G HD 3200), windows 7 and HDMI connection with MP 1.0.2
    True blacks are back but I need to test some more to be sure :D

edit:

after some more viewing with controlloed lightning I must say the black level seems better with c9.10 but there is still a noticable difference to using mpc-hc directly. I will update to mp 1.1RC as soon as available though...

Vazel

Portal Member
    December 29, 2008
    I had this issue too with MP and switching to VMR9 fixed it for me. I had this problem with Win7 Media Center too but there is no option to switch to VMR9, what fixed it in MC is switching from the ati dongle to a regular dvi to hdmi cable like this guy but I'm probably crushing blacks now. It looks like it's a problem with the ati driver where it's incorrectly handling the EVR renderers in MP and MC for hdtv output. This is irritating because one of the driving factors in me getting my 4850 card is for the pixel format setting.
    I was able to resolve this issue by using a dvi to hdmi cable rather than using the dvi to hdmi adapter (that came with my video card) with an hdmi cable. Weird.

DocSommer

Portal Member
    January 24, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I've quite an opposite Issue with MP, Core AVC, EVR and a Geforce 9300. If I set the renderer to EVR the image get's darken and details get lost even with correct output levels set in Nvidia's control panel. VMR9 doesn't have this issue.

sikkek

Portal Member
    November 10, 2009
    The Hague
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    The settings I use with an on-board nVidia 9300 and a Panasonic Plasma TV are:
    output format yCbCr444
    levels 16-235 (don't let application control it)

This results in correct black levels and no black/white crushing.

DocSommer

Portal Member
    January 24, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    btw - does anyone have a h.264 rendered test image for adjusting brightning/contrast properly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom