Grey blacks with internal player + EVR (1 Viewer)

djphatic

Portal Pro
May 9, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hello

I cannot get correct black levels when using EVR with the internal player. This is with the MPC-HC codecs (SAF) and also with CoreAVC. Switching to VMR9 everything appears fine.

I have tried Catalyst 9.1, 9.4 and 9.5 (using ATI 4850) and have tried all the different pixel format settings though it has no impact on the black levels with the internal player.

Using an external player such as MPC-HC or Zoomplayer I have no issues using EVR with the MPC-HC codecs or CoreAVC.

Whilst playing back a video using the internal player and CoreAVC I have changed the input, output and colorspace settings on the fly and it makes no adjustments to the picture whilst playing like it does in MPC-HC. The only adjustments what seem to work are the brightness/contrast on the CoreAVC codec settings.

The issue with incorrect black levels using EVR happens with mpeg-2, xvid and h264.

I really dont understand why the problem only exists with the interal player and not with any external player. I have checked the filter graph whilst playing a video in mediaportal with the incorrect black levels and if I build the same graph the black levels are fine. The only different i notice is that the EVR filter being used in mediaportal I am able to connect 3 inputs to it, whereas when I build it from scratch I am only able to connect 1 input.

Is anyone getting correct black levels using EVR with the internal player and ATI graphics card?

I cannot be the only person who has this issue?!

djphatic

Portal Pro
May 9, 2008
Home Country
Had abit more of a play around and looks like the only solution is to disable application color settings in ATI control centre and make adjustments there to compensate for the grey blacks so it looks like its something within media-portal that is setting the brightness and contrast levels too high.

Are there any application settings or something I can set in the config which will allow me to make the adjustments so I don't have to use the ATI CCC which at present is affecting all applications.

jet70

Portal Pro
March 7, 2009
Home Country
England England
I also have this issue , although found it kicked in with Catalyst 9.3, 9.4. I personally have found I am ok with 8.12, 9.1.

I use onboard HD3200. I would really like to use more current drivers, so if anyone has a solution. For xvid, I was able to force RGB32 in ffdshow, but could not do sinilar for h254.

There is some sort of issue with the internal player, but not sure what since I am unaware of an error.

djphatic

Portal Pro
May 9, 2008
Home Country
I also have this issue , although found it kicked in with Catalyst 9.3, 9.4. I personally have found I am ok with 8.12, 9.1.

I use onboard HD3200. I would really like to use more current drivers, so if anyone has a solution. For xvid, I was able to force RGB32 in ffdshow, but could not do sinilar for h254.

There is some sort of issue with the internal player, but not sure what since I am unaware of an error.

I gave 9.1 a whirl yesterday but had the same result. I am sure I have had media-portal working fine with EVR with a 9.x driver but this may have been with media-portal 1.01 and not since 1.02.

Will do abit more investigating this weekend.

hoborg

Portal Pro
June 13, 2008
Nový Jičín
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic

I gave 9.1 a whirl yesterday but had the same result. I am sure I have had media-portal working fine with EVR with a 9.x driver but this may have been with media-portal 1.01 and not since 1.02.

Will do abit more investigating this weekend.

Did you try to disable Dynamic brightnes correction in CCC?

djphatic

Portal Pro
May 9, 2008
Home Country
OK.

Can i ask what is your PC -> TV connection?

I am using HDMI connection from my PC to my Onkyo 875 Amp using the DVI>HDMI dongle.

There is a registry tweak necessary for that. Look for UseBT601CSC. More for example here: ATI HD Registry Tweaks

With this blacks are black until CCC 9.1.

I enabled this registry tweak via DXVA Checker with the 9.5 drivers last night but didn't change anything, I will try with an earlier driver. Though my understanding is that this registry tweak is for SD content whereas my problems occurs on both SD and HD content with EVR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom