Grouping movies (1 Viewer)

carlosmenmu

Portal Member
January 26, 2013
Home Country
Spain Spain
I've done some forum search and it seems that this feature is not yet implemented, but the posts are old and I'm not sure.
The feature I'm searching is adding several movies into just one entry when you are browsing your films. Let's say you want to group disney's movies + Dreamworks' movies under just one entry, is it possible?
Obviously this should be done manually as it gives you the freedom to group whatever movies you want to group.
Thank you!

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    This is possible if you create 'categories'. Easiest way is to store those movies in a separate folder on your HD and use the 'path' definitions to filter them.
    Unfortunately the MovingPictures Wiki doesn't conclude that part (yet).

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    For this exact reason you can now filter on "studio" inside the current MovingPictures.

So it will be very easy to create a single category that contains all movies made by "Disney" and "Dreamworks" (and even filter it down to seperate live-action from animated versions). Just make sure that the scraper-script you are using has support for it. I was actually the one who started the issue and helped add support into default IMDb scraper-script and obviously my own IMDb+.

I'm just not sure if this extends to TMDB or other scraper-scripts, but that is easy to verify inside MovPic config.

daimian

Portal Member
    September 11, 2012
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I would love to be able to do this. I have a collection of Abbott and Costello movies that don't mix well with my other movies.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I would love to be able to do this. I have a collection of Abbott and Costello movies that don't mix well with my other movies.

You can also filter on "actors", so simply create an 'ALL' one for Actors contains "Abbott" and Actors contains "Costello" and every movie in your collection that has both actors in them will be captured.

Can also make this part of the parental filtering system, then the movies are removed from all other categories by default until you enter PIN code.

It is also possible to edit the other categories and exclude Abbott and Costello from them.

Ontop of that you can create custom rename entries with IMDb+ to manipulate them even further via a title rename in any way you wish. Infact pretty sure an existing IMDb+ user already shared a large Abbott and Costello custom rename list.

carlosmenmu

Portal Member
    January 26, 2013
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Thanks you all and sorry for the late reply.

I'm just getting started with mediaportal and I haven't used "categories" so far, but I'm not sure this is what I actually want.
    If I have understood correctly, this is a kind of filtering your movies, while what I was hoping was to browse all my movies and find the set boxes:

1. Argo
    2. Apocalysis now
    3. Battleship
    4. Casablanca
    5. Con-air
    6. Disney*
    7. Django
    8. Dude where's my car?

And once you select Disney, you find your movies:
    1. Aladdin
    2. Fantasia
    3. Toy story
    4. Up

That's how I used to browse films in my old NMT player, and now I'm searching something similar.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Pictures might say more than words ;)
    This is how i use my categories (The structure is like this):
    - Movies
    -- Bluray
    -- 007 Collection
    -- Martial Arts
    -- Adam Sandler
    -- Jim Carrey
    -- Pixar
    -- Documentaries
    - Music Concerts

So when i open MovingPictures i see the 2 main categories Movies & Music Concerts:
    Main.png

Then when i open up Movies i get the list of all subcategories:
    Movies.png

And when i open Bluray or Pixar i get a list of the movies:
    007 Collection.png Pixar.png

Everything is configurable, so you can set it up just as you like using the filters.

Last edited:

carlosmenmu

Portal Member
    January 26, 2013
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Yep, I see how you do Homey.
    But you have all your films categorized in different groups.
    I just want a list of all my films, and in this list just 3 or 4 groups (disney, all james bond movies, all star wars movies).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom