Grouping of movies (2 Viewers)

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Peter, you can have the concerts as a separate category to the movies and use the 'full path' filter as I described in post 2, is that what you mean?

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

That is what I get for realizing I might have read orginal question wrong, after I realized I had helped you with IMDb+ already to sort out your movie series issue.

And I'm still thankfull for that! As I said, I'm investigating if I can push it one step further

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Hi guys,
    Can I step in with a question regarding this?
    Maybe my question (and the answer to it) can help others when looking for similar info.
    I'm using the moving pictures plugin for movies and have them all in 1 folder which contain subfolders in case of vob files.
    Aside of that collection, I have quite some concerts - also in a similar structure - which are accessed through the video/recordings share by browsing the normal way
    Now, I was wondering if it is possible to have 2 structures in moving pictures: one for movies and another for concerts.

That is what custom categories allow you to do.

You can create a custom cat for "Concerts" with a filter rule of "Full Path" -> 'contains' -> "\Concerts\"

Then the following media will be part of that: "X:\Media\Concerts\Beethoven\5th.mkv"

Ideally you then modify the "All Movies" and any other dynamic category to exclude that folder, unless you like them to be mixed in. You can also create an empty 'Concerts' main category and then create sub categories inside of it to split up different types of concerts, as many layers deep as you wish. It requires a lot of manual effort, but you can create extremly powerful filters to make your navigation through all the media easy and enjoyable.

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi lisag, thank you for picking this up.
    This is what I did but I'm not sure it's what you mean.
    The movies and concerts are on my HTPC stored in e:\multimedia\videos\movies & e:\multimedia\videos\music.
    In the plugin, I have now added both paths in the importer and use the standard configuration of the plugin.
    I guess I do not need a share for this so I can point that new category/filter to e:\multimedia\videos\music
    In the menu editor, I have added a new empty item at top level labeled Concerts and in the filter I have put as full path begins with e:\multimedia\videos\music
    In the all movies category, the concerts were also displayed so there I changed the filter to point to the right path. So far it seems to me that everything is correct but in MePo, that new category 'Concerts' is not showing.
    I even deleted one of the filters - rating - and that modification is not noticeable.

@RoChess: to avoid mixing, I could also create a filter in the all movies category to point only to the movie path, right?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    @RoChess: to avoid mixing, I could also create a filter in the all movies category to point only to the movie path, right?

Yes, you could simply make sure "All Movies" only contains movies where full-path contains "\movies\"

Regarding your music, if those are music videos, you might want to consider looking into mvCentral, because that is a plugin I use myself to keep all my music-videos nicely organized.

http://code.google.com/p/mvcentral/

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Thank you for the tip on that plugin. Had a look on it but doesn't seem to be available for MePo v1.6..
    Even by adding the different filters movies & concerts, the concerts are showing up with the movies. :confused:

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Thank you for the tip on that plugin. Had a look on it but doesn't seem to be available for MePo v1.6..
    Even by adding the different filters movies & concerts, the concerts are showing up with the movies. :confused:

It is available for 1.6, as I run it as such, you just have to download the Sebastii update from the mvCentral forum section. They also already have a version functional for MePo 1.7, but you need access to the dev forum thread then.

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Your concerts shouldn't show up with your movies if you have defined the categories correctly.

I am no expert, but I use a new top level menu item for all of my categories, if you do the same you would have one category 'movies' with a full path filter pointing to the movies folder, and one category 'music videos' with the a full path filter pointing to the music videos folder.

Then your movies category will contain your movies, and your music videos will contain your music videos. You could get rid of any other categories to keep things clean. I have about 6 categories in my set up (very novice) it seems that RoChess has over 500 :eek:

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    I don't understand it either, this is what I have now:
    upload_2014-2-2_12-13-8.png

upload_2014-2-2_12-13-35.png

upload_2014-2-2_12-14-10.png

If I look at the filter results and in the movie manager tab everything seems to be correct but the menu in MePo has not changed. I even removed one entry but that is also still visible in MePo.

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    That looks sort of correct to me, you do have a lot of other categories there, I am wondering if there are categories embedded within categories that are messing things up. I only have my categories as stand alone top level menu items.

As a test I would say try adding a brand new category selecting 'Add an empty menu item' and 'Add Menu Item to Top Level' then set that up as you have done already for movies and then repeat for music using the full path filter. If that works, you can delete the other category items that you no longer need. In my set up I deleted all the categories that came pre-defined with the install such as All Movies, Unwatched Movies, Recently Added, Genres etc..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom