v276.42 .... everything above 28x gives bad performance to me

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    v276.42 is actually the latest Quadro/Tesla release - they released 285.58 in October then went back to 276.42 in December......perhaps that says something about the quality of the 28x versions ? ;)

Tony

wonkyd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2007
    Home Country
    I've got both a GT430, the Asus card your looking at in fact, and a GT520 and both can happily handle 1080i. However the GT430 wins for picture quality, but most people wouldn't notice the difference. If you go for the GT430 the Tesla drivers work very well, however I found them a little choppy with the GT520.

JBravo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I'm borrowing this thread.

Currently I'm using the the onboard GPU, a Nvidia GeForce 9300. Frankly, I have been quite happy with this and it have worked flawless in my setup. However, I was looking at the GT520, and the GT430 also seems to be interesting.

So to the questions, on the paper these two cards out performs my GeForce9300 (easily), but will I actually gain anything by upgrading. Better picture quality, performance etc?

Are the GT430/520 able to bitstream HD audio formats over HDMI?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    As I have found all 285 series are in trouble. That is why 290 was made in fast. But Tesla latest is 276.42

With the 290.53 drivers I get Tearing in all video playback, back to my 190.45 and all works perfectly.

The one advantage I did find with newer driver is cuda applications run a 1\3rd faster with higher gpu use showing in evga precision.

Picture quality has to come first though so reverted.

logifuse

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2011
    Sydney
    Home Country
    I'm borrowing this thread.

Currently I'm using the the onboard GPU, a Nvidia GeForce 9300. Frankly, I have been quite happy with this and it have worked flawless in my setup. However, I was looking at the GT520, and the GT430 also seems to be interesting.

So to the questions, on the paper these two cards out performs my GeForce9300 (easily), but will I actually gain anything by upgrading. Better picture quality, performance etc?

I was in the same boat (onboard 9400). The main difference you'll see is deinterlacing performance. Everyone talks about 1080i, but to me, that looks pretty good on most cards, it's what 480/576i looks like when upscaled to an HD panel that counts, as that is what most viewing tends to be.

The GT440 (in my case - essentially a GT430) basically eliminates the jaggies that the 9400 had. Things like lines on a tennis court look so much better now.

Having said that, I'm also testing an HD6570 & I think it's marginally better so far, but I only put the GT440 in on Thursday & still have more testing to do.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country

Yes (AFAIK).

They also both support full bitstream-level hardware video decode for MPEG2/H264/VC1 (PureVideo), so you might see lower CPU load when using DXVA.

The GT520 has the latest version of PureVideo - see Nvidia PureVideo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - but I think the better de-interlacing quality/CUDA performance of the GT430 is worth more than a small PureVideo feature gain...

Tony

JBravo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks for the input!

The following page clearly states the TrueHD and DTS-HD Audio Bitstreaming is supported, GeForce GT 430 - Features - GeForce . However, reading the 'PureVideo' table on the page Tony posted above it looks like these capabilites was introduced first in Feature Set D (e.g. GT520). It left me a bit confused...

What about this one; Komplett.se - ASUS GeForce GT 430 1GB Direct CU Silent

Hope it will fit in my Antec NSK2480 case, the card looks slightly higher than a normal PCI card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom