[NVIDIA] GT430 vs GT520 (1 Viewer)

JBravo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I have set color space to RGB, and 16-235 in Nvida Control Panel. LAV Video is set to "untouched" for RGB-YUV conversion. In this way the THX logo looks correct, haven't looked at all the other test patterns (yet).

When I set color space to YCbCr, colors looks washed out, independent of if I select 0-255 or 16-235. Shouldn't YCbCR be an better option than RGB, movies are stored in YCbCr (16-235)and standard DVD/ Bluray players seems to output YCbCr as default? Or is it better to let the HTPC do the color conversion, assume the conversion to RGB needs to be done in the TV otherwise?

I think there is to much stuff happening in the background...

Some more reading for the interested.

HDMI Enhanced Black Levels, xvYCC and RGB — Reviews and News from Audioholics

I had to remove my AVR from the equation, it clipped everthing outside 16-235.

Edit; Setting color space to YCbCr seems to convert windows desktop to the range 16-235 (did some fancy test patterns in MS Paint, showing black and grey squares). However, when playing a video colors are ok but BTB, WTW is cut.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Can't remember 100% for sure, but I think I use 0-255 YCrCb - using RGB is almost as good, but I prefer the look of YCrCb on my TV (Panasonic 37LZD80).

What I do is first use something like the Lagom LCD test patterns to get the nVidia desktop levels correct (the black level and white saturation patterns are good for this - you should be able to resolve the full 0-255 range, ideally), then use other video level tests to adjust the nVidia video-specific settings.

Tony

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Probably not since it is the applications (or actually the renderers they use) that affect the used colorspace. If there is a bug in MP then it should be fixed.
    I am not that clear on how it works but I have measured stuff and I know it is not that simple....
    AIUI there are various issues with different decoders not passing the right flags through to DXVA hardware and then you also have the drivers messing around with stuff and sometimes ignoring the flags anyway. I also believe some parts of the chain do not cope with the difference between REC.601 and REC.709 and whilst it should be possible to convert properly they do not.

On top of that you then have the issue that protected path stuff does something different to normal playback so getting consistent black levels is a real problem.

Not noticed any difference - the greyscale banding problem is still there, like it's always been....(it's not usually noticeable on video, but I can see it on test patterns).

Have you got any specific colour space issues ?

Yes... trying to get consistent black levels is a real problem. Currently I have my 9400 IGP set to output at 0-255 which actually gives me 16-235 output from a 16-235 input. If I set output to 16-235 (which I previously calibrated my TV for) I actually get a mess as somewhere along the chain it decides the input is 0-255 and needs converting to 16-235 so black ends up somewhere like 35 and I get grey blacks and crushed whites (which does not look good).

I am also using XP so VMR which does not help but I have also played around with my Win7 Sandybridge machine (so EVR) with similar results.

It just irritates me that if a £60 bluray player can manage this why a high-tech graphics card and software can not...

If anyone wants some light reading then... GREYSCALE & COLOUR CALIBRATION FOR DUMMIES
    but PC hardware seems to complicate this a great deal...

Sinus2K

Portal Member
    April 10, 2007
    Düsseldorf
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: GT430 vs GT520

Hey together,

i also own a GT430, but have a bit of trouble for getting a smoothe picture in live tv. I already use the the tsreader and dshowhelper version which Jelmo has mentioned in his post ( https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/video-cards-334/gt430-vs-gt520-104787/index2.html#post834411). So the only difference (beside other hardware components) might be the settings in the nvidia control panel. Therefore can someone with a smooth picture post the settings for video and maybe ( if the have an effect ) and 3d.

Thanks in advance
    Andy

Jelmo

Portal Pro
    September 8, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: GT430 vs GT520

Tesla Driver / dshowhelper 092 / tsreader 044
    Nvidia --> set output level to 0-255 and disable dynamic/automatic color control
    Lav0.45 set CUVID. And use LAV Video for SD and HD stuff
    Thats all

Caesium

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2011
    Solihull
    Home Country
    Re: AW: GT430 vs GT520

Nvidia --> set output level to 0-255 and disable dynamic/automatic color control
    Thats all

I was struggling to get a smooth picture on Channel 4 HD in the UK with this setup (on a GT520). I switched from LAV Video to MS DTV-DTD and it's much better. GPU usage in GPU-Z has also dropped considerably, it was at 95% with the LAV filters.

Does anyone have a GT520 with LAV+CUVID working smoothly on 4HD in the UK? Other HD channels were fine so I suspect 4HD might be higher bitrate? I'm on Tesla 276.42 drivers as recommended earlier in this thread.

Caesium

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2011
    Solihull
    Home Country

Thats all

I was struggling to get a smooth picture on Channel 4 HD in the UK with this setup (on a GT520). I switched from LAV Video to MS DTV-DTD and it's much better. GPU usage in GPU-Z has also dropped considerably, it was at 95% with the LAV filters.

Does anyone have a GT520 with LAV+CUVID working smoothly on 4HD in the UK? Other HD channels were fine so I suspect 4HD might be higher bitrate? I'm on Tesla 276.42 drivers as recommended earlier in this thread.

Ok, so further to this I went back and started messing. I found that if I disabled Adaptive deinterlacing (set it to None), it was much smoother on 4HD. Is it likely that the GT520 simply hasn't got the power to do adaptive deinterlacing for this channel?

Interestingly, in following Jelmo's advice, I tried fiddling with the nvidia control panel settings - I found that when it was set to "use nvidia settings" even the MS DTV-DTD codec couldn't cope (GPU load flatlining over 95% in GPU-Z), but with "use player settings" it was fine (80%).

I think I certainly wouldn't recommend GT520 if it's already having trouble with adaptive deinterlacing on some channels, doesn't seem very future proof :(

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

Thats all

Ok, so further to this I went back and started messing. I found that if I disabled Adaptive deinterlacing (set it to None), it was much smoother on 4HD. Is it likely that the GT520 simply hasn't got the power to do adaptive deinterlacing for this channel?

Interestingly, in following Jelmo's advice, I tried fiddling with the nvidia control panel settings - I found that when it was set to "use nvidia settings" even the MS DTV-DTD codec couldn't cope (GPU load flatlining over 95% in GPU-Z), but with "use player settings" it was fine (80%).

I think I certainly wouldn't recommend GT520 if it's already having trouble with adaptive deinterlacing on some channels, doesn't seem very future proof :(

GT520 has too limited pixel shader power to be able to do proper deinterlacing for 1080i - so it is not a recommended card for anyone who might have interlaced HD material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom