Guide me to my perfect system (TV, speakers, PC) (1 Viewer)

SwingSultan

Portal Pro
July 5, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
greetings,

sorry for answering a few days late but im pretty mauch covered in books and notes atm due to my exams.

anyway here is my recommendation for your htpc:

cpu:athlon x2-be
board: asus m2a-vm
gpu: radeon 3450 (depending on the games you want to play a bigger model might be needed. since you want to run emulators i think you dont need a a potent gpu)
psu: seasonic s12-300w
hdd: samsung (silent) or seagate(5 years warranty ab bit louder but not much)
optical drive: ask someone else :D i never really cared for br or hd-dvd due to the lack of hardware and format war
the same goes for tv tuners etc. since i dont watch tv i never cared for this kind of hardware either.
ram: i always recommend samsung ram since it is the most compatible ram. 2gb ddr2-667 should be enough since win xp cant really handle more (at least not per application)
since the pc is not in the living room you dont have to buy something fancy but i would still buy something well build like the lian li pc-g7 or the pc-a05 model. both cases have decoupled hdd mounts and an excellent airflow.
to cool the cpu i recommend a scyte mugen or any other huge scyte heat sink to wich a 120mm fan can be attached. basically those heat sinks should be enough to cool the athlon x2-be but with an 120mm fan at 5v in front of it you can forget about any kind of heat problems.
that brings us to the fans. i dont know if you can find noctua fans in sweden for a fair price (the recommended model is the nf-p12). if you dont try the sharkoon silent eagle-1000 moedels. you shouldnt need more than 2 case fans (if you are planning on installing more than one harddrive) and of course one for your cpu. i wouldnt use the lian li fans that probably come with the cases due to their noise (they are not aweful but still too loud for my taste). the sharkoon and noctua fans also come with rubber decouplers and 5v or 7v adaptors, so its just a matter of plugging them in. with all that in place you could sometimes find yourself looking at the power led of the system to notice that its running.

without the blueray drive this combo should cost about 400-600 euro depending on swedish hardware prices. that sould leave some budget to be spent on a monitor, speakers or a gift to your girlfriend to excuse some other stupid manly hobby like building pcs ;)

as a remote keyboard i recommend a keysonic ack 540 that comes with a build in touchpad. im happily using my microsoft mce remote. since its infra red you have to place the reciever somewhere near you tv or attach it by using some tape. other remotes are far more expensive so i would go for it. another method to tame the cable chaos for bluetooth ect would be to attach a usb hub to the wall behind the tv.

well that is all the wisdom that comes to mind at the moment. besides what kind of emulators are you using for mp?

sweden

Portal Member
January 20, 2006
Sorry for the late reply but I have been researching after your suggestions and I have now come up with the following:

Case: Antec P180 (118eur) –Similar price as Lian Li G7 but with 3 fans and more HD space.
PSU: Corsair VX550W (78eur) –Because I plan to add more HDs. Perhaps 620W?
Fans: Start with the ones that come with the case and then perhaps change to Noctua NF-S12 (17eur/each)
RAM: G.Skill Extreme PC2-6400 2GB (2x1GB) CL 4-4-4-12 (61eur/tot) –Can’t seem to find Samsung
HD: 1 Samsung 750gb (140eur) –Will add more
Heatsink: SCYTHE Mugen (38eur)
DVD: LG Lightscribe (30eur)
Keyboard: Perhaps the Wireless Entertainment Desktop 8000 because it’s backlit (no price yet)

Board: To decide, really confusing…
CPU: To decide, but I´m thinking Quad for extra power
Graphics: To decide, but something powerful that allows me to play latest games in 1080 on the TV in a decent manner. Asus EN8800GT/G/HTDP/512M?
TV card: To decide

*prices are from Spain which is also what my nick should be as I live here now

The day when I want to build a HTPC for the living room (this one is to be placed behind a wall) I can simply use the parts listed above and buy a fancy case and it will be reasonably silent. As I stated before, I am not to build yet I am in the phase of learning and one of my questions now that I have not found an answer for is:

HDMI -If I put in a good video card I understand that it will have a HDMI port with which I will connect the TV. A lot of motherboards also have a SPDIF out which I could use to connect the amp. Why then would I want a HDMI connector on the motherboard (such as ASUS M2A-VM HDMI)? I will always need two cables, one to the amp and one to the TV?

Please note that getting 1080p @ 50 Hz with ATi cards might be a real PITA, as there is no "force" for this in ATI's control panel. There are some 3.-party software that can help you, but a) it is not free, b) you have to know what you are doing, because c) it might harm your system.
Are NVidia cards better for my purpose? I don't know what I am doing so I rather get somehting that works out of the box...

besides what kind of emulators are you using for mp?
With MP I only use Nestopia as it is the only one that works for me. I also use Project64, Gens, Znes and Pcsx but when starting them from MP (emulator plugin) I get a “Direct3D failed to initialize” message. I am using an old Think Pad T30 that works great for MP (without TV) but for the slightest additional task it coughs… But with this new system I hope to play new games (Unreal 3 or whatever is popular now) on my TV!

Again, thanks for your comments. By the time I am to build I am sure I will be prepared!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom