Guide: Perfect playback & Display calibration (1 Viewer)

badboyxx

Portal Pro
June 15, 2012
Home Country
Germany Germany
Here are some screenshots of my settings.

I recommend not upmixing on the htpc and using a surround mode om the avr if you must have 5.1 from 2.0.

I can switch in case of 2.0 sound on my avr to extended surround to get a really better sound. In that case it is a simulated 5.1 sound. The disadvantage is that I have to switch the mode on my avr when I have 2.0 or 5.1 sound source to get the surround effects.

Attachments

• MP_Config.jpg
    MP_Config.jpg
    242.1 KB
  • lav1.jpg
    lav1.jpg
    276.3 KB
  • lav2.jpg
    lav2.jpg
    254.6 KB
  • mpar.jpg
    mpar.jpg
    251.4 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I think you have to tick "enable mixing" on the second tab in LAV audio configuration. Then it should work.

badboyxx

Portal Pro
    June 15, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I think you have to tick "enable mixing" on the second tab in LAV audio configuration. Then it should work.

Unfortunately the sound is still not getting better.
    When I have a tv channel with ac3-sound, doesn't it upmix than? Where can I find out wether it is stereo or surround sound.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    In your screenshot below lav mixing is not enabled, the box isn't ticked.

lav2-jpg.179918
    [DOUBLEPOST=1466372733][/DOUBLEPOST]However i've done a test and lav audio only does dolby matrix upmixing to 5.1, so if you want speakers to output audio from a true 2.0 source it wont do that. You need to make a custom matrix in ffdshow.

Again in my opinion stereo sources shouldn't be up mixed to 5.1

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Unfortunately the sound is still not getting better.
    When I have a tv channel with ac3-sound, doesn't it upmix than? Where can I find out wether it is stereo or surround sound.
    Ac3 tv channel is typically 5.1 channel

To find out what is being used, use the lav audio system tray icon using playback.

Some tv channels have 2 audio streams and you can switch between them. (I think it's via f9 if playing in mepo).

badboyxx

Portal Pro
    June 15, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ac3 tv channel is typically 5.1 channel

To find out what is being used, use the lav audio system tray icon using playback.

Some tv channels have 2 audio streams and you can switch between them. (I think it's via f9 if playing in mepo).

Yes for some channels I can switch between 2.0 and surround and for a few channels is only 2.0 sound available. My problem is that the voice output is very bad. When I switch to surround on my avr the voice sounds very bad. When I switch to extended surround it sounds quite good but then I have almost no surround effect. For me it seems like that I have a setting problem. My avr is a Pioneer VSX-521.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    IMHO - 2.0 source should be listened as 2.0 or 2.1

If the voice output is bad, your speakers are probably EQ'd incorrectly in the AVR. Try redo-ing MACC or switch to pure direct to disable MACC.

rspierenburg

Portal Pro
    June 18, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi, I recently updated my HTPC and trying to setup Dynamic Refresh Rate as best as I can, but I noticed something on the NTSC HD live channels, it is currently set to 59.94 but when I check using Shift-1 it says that the Measured Refresh Rate is 60hz, the detected fps is 59.94 but that the reported fps is 29.97. Has anyone else encountered this? I'm just curious then which refresh rate I should be setting my TV to.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi, I recently updated my HTPC and trying to setup Dynamic Refresh Rate as best as I can, but I noticed something on the NTSC HD live channels, it is currently set to 59.94 but when I check using Shift-1 it says that the Measured Refresh Rate is 60hz, the detected fps is 59.94 but that the reported fps is 29.97. Has anyone else encountered this? I'm just curious then which refresh rate I should be setting my TV to.

Set the display refresh rate to 59.94 (or 59, if that is all that is available to chose from - usually '59' means it's actually 59.94, and '60' is actually 60.00 - or very close to those rates).

With US interlaced TV e.g. 1920 x 1080i , the frame rate is 29.97, but after de-interlacing (normally in the GPU) that becomes double rate (the field rate) i.e. 59.94
    (Each frame of interlaced video comprises two interlaced fields, each one half the vertical resolution of a frame).

badboyxx

Portal Pro
    June 15, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    There is long time ago since the last post here.
    I have a question. How can I activate pass-through in LAV? Is bitsreaming the same like pass-through? When I disable bitstreaming in LAV-filter and watch a movie with 5.1 sound, then the voice is missing. It seems like stereo. When I activate bitsreaming then it works how it should.
    I'm using Windows 10 with latest MP and an AV-receiver via HDMI (ARC). The MP settings are the same like on page 1.

Am I doing something wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom