Guide: Perfect playback & Display calibration | Page 22

Discussion in 'Installation, configuration support' started by kiwijunglist, June 11, 2013.

1. Sh4nn0w
    • Premium Supporter

Sh4nn0w MP Donator

Telecommunications
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    Came across this on the Intel forums:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sh4nn0w
    • Premium Supporter

Sh4nn0w MP Donator

Telecommunications
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    Hmm, now found this on AVS; will give it a go when I get home tonight:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. kiwijunglist
    • Team MediaPortal

kiwijunglist Super Moderator

Doctor
    Ratings:
    +1,846 / 9
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Show System Specs
    just use yuv instead. id be hesitant to trust that changing the option in the gui using a registry hack actual allows fullrange rgb if its not natively supported.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Idro

Idro Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Home Country:
    Italy Italy
    Hello,

first of all I'd like to thank you for this guide.
    But one step is not clear for me.

You said I need to reset all settings, both for HTPC graphic card and TV. But while the mp4 calibration files are running (mostly for brightness and contrast) which settings I have to use, graphic card settings or tv ones?

I'm saying that because with graphic card settings I can regulate brightness, contrast and colour. Instead with tv settings I can regulate only contrast and brightness.

Second point: I have an HD Ready TV and my HTPC graphic card tell me the panel native resolution is 1080x768. So setting this resolution I see two little black stripe in the top and in the bottom of the panel. Actually not especially annoying (I consider that like a little movie effect in 16:9), but I tried to change the resolution in such a way to fill the entire panel, but the result is not in a correct 1:1 pixel mapping with any other resolution I set.
    So I think I keep the native resolution because of my panel does not support entirely the graphic card resolution, right?

6. kiwijunglist
    • Team MediaPortal

Doctor
    Ratings:
    +1,846 / 9
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Show System Specs
    hi quick reply bc i need to go to bed b4 my GF gets too angry!

1. your gpu can not always detect the correct native resolution of your tv.
    2. for hd ready tv you have to see what looks better the native resolution (get this from using google on tv model number) or 1280x720 (720p).
    3. you can adjust brightness anywhere, but i prefer to turn off all gpu settings and adjust brightness on the display. its hard/impossible to adjust brightness using your video card settings while you are playing back a fullscreen movie.

if you set gpu to native resolution and you enable 1:1 mapping on the tv and you get black bars then something is wrong, either the native resolution is wrong, or 1:1 mapping mode is not working. In these kinda situations you might have to settle for 1280x720 and adjust the scaling in mepo UI calibration menu.

7. Idro

Idro Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Home Country:
    Italy Italy
    I have an HD Ready Philips since 2007 and it seems that if I set 1280x720 resolution I have no the little black stripes but I do not have the 1:1 mapping, if I set 1280x768 resolution I have the black stripes but I get the correct 1:1 mapping.

Where could I find the scaling adjusting inside mepo calibraion menu?

In general I am stuck to follow your guide to "Checking overscan inside MediaPortal" chapter, since if I run mepo and press F9 nothing really happens and also I didn't find "Screen UI is not clipped (Settings > GUI > Screen > Screen calibration)" menu.

Last edited: August 25, 2015
  8. emphatic
    • Team MediaPortal

emphatic Design Group

Surface treatment
    Ratings:
    +1,083 / 2
    Home Country:
    Sweden Sweden
    Show System Specs
    The screen calibration has scaling if you press OK. When you first load it, you can only move the visible area. Begin with getting the top and left arrow in position, then click OK on your remote or ENTER on your keyboard, then move the arrow keys to the left and up until all four corners are correct (one click on OK for each). Then you will see a square box with instructions to get the mapping in order. Each click cycles the different stretch/position option.

Emph

9. badboyxx

badboyxx Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +83 / 9
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs

When I play the movie with vlc then I can see all the flashing bars how it should be but when I play the movie within MP, I can see no flashing bar in #18 and under. Does anybody know why it is so in my case?

10. kiwijunglist
    • Team MediaPortal

Doctor
    Ratings:
    +1,846 / 9
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Show System Specs
    'desktop colour' is 0-255 levels of grey.
    video is 16-235 levels of grey and 0-16 is all the same colour (black) and 235-255 is all the same colour (white).

You are clipping (discarding) 0-16 and 235-255 within MePo. This doesn't matter for watching videos as this range is useless.

The reason you see 0-16 flash in VLC and not MePo is that whatever codec you are using in MePo (LAV) is expanding video to 0-255 and then your display is clipping 0-16/235-255 where as VLC is sending out a 16-235 (compression), hence there is no clipping.

You can either

1. leave things as is with lav set to 0-255 output. there is no video information in 0-16 anyway, set the brightness so that you can just barely see #18 flash.
    2. change lav to always output 16-235. this will introduce the most banding. adjust brightness as per guide.
    3. setup your display and pixel output to both use 0-255. leave lav as 0-255. adjust brightness as per guide.

#1 or #3 is the best

11. badboyxx

badboyxx Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +83 / 9
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    How can I setup my display and pixel output to 0-255? Can you give me a guide please, I don't know how you mean it.
    I'm using lav filters and the settings herefor should be right.

Attached Files:

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!