[no Bug] Hanging for 20 sec in startup (getting channels from database?) (1 Viewer)

momo

Portal Member
April 7, 2007
near Aachen
Home Country
Germany Germany
I have a multiseat system. On the server, MediaPortal client starts nice and quick.
On all remote clients, however, startup takes a long time.
Investigating the log files, I found that more than 20 seconds are spent here:

2010-05-24 10:32:51.703294 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: get channels from database
2010-05-24 10:33:13.524542 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: found:114 tv channels

During this period, the client shows very little disk and CPU activity.
As said, starting MediaPortal on the server goes very fast. There I have only 0.2 sec between the above messages.

Any ideas, work-arounds?

Regards

Martin

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Is your TV server set to go to sleep at all?
    Is part of this time waking up your TV server?
    Once you have connected is browsing the guide ok?

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Try using the IP address of the server in the client configuration instead of the server name. What takes so long is the connection to SQL Server / MySQL, and my bet is that name resolution causes 99% of the delay you are seeing.

momo

Portal Member
    April 7, 2007
    near Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    jameson_uk: no, the server was not sleeping; browsing the guide is ok.
    arion_p: It's not name resolution. I just changed the name into the IP address and I see the same 20+ sec delay between the two messages.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Do you have anti-virus / anti-malware / firewall running on client or server? Try disabling them on both and see if that makes a difference

romuz

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 26, 2008
    Moskau
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    If it is related to name resolution when connecting to db then you have to change Gentle config
    Start setuptv.exe with --configure-db parameter and change server name to ip too
    Because connection to db works by the name provided by tvsever.
    And dont forget to restart tvservice after that

momo

Portal Member
    April 7, 2007
    near Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    jameson_uk: no antivirus/antimalware; firewall: only windows firewall, configured by MediaPortal installation

romuz:
    I did what you proposed, including restarting the tvservice, but it does not make a difference.
    But to explore this path further: The database configuration shows indeed the IP address now instead of the server name.
    However, in the normal setuptv, under "TV Servers", still the server name is shown. Is that ok?

Seidelin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2006
    Kgs. Lyngby
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    You can also try uninstalling IPV6 from your computer. That is one of the possibilities fixing the issue for me. The other is you should also bind TV-Server to your ip-adress (under TV-Servers as you write).
    For me the issue of slow startup was introduced with the fixes in mantis 2576. It is fixable though, with either of the methods described. Removing IPV6 is not recommended, so try the other method first even if it requires more places to fix. After making the changes it might be necessary with a reboot or at least restart TV-Server.

momo

Portal Member
    April 7, 2007
    near Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The other is you should also bind TV-Server to your ip-adress (under TV-Servers as you write).

Can you help me with that?
    If I select "TV Servers" in setuptv, I have a submenu with my server name, and under the server name I have my tv cards listed. On the right-hand side panel I have my server listed with name and type and RTSP port. If I right-click there and select "streaming settings" I see in a pop-up the correct IP address (IP4) and the port.

It that correct and sufficient or is there more I should change?

Thanks for your patience!

Seidelin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2006
    Kgs. Lyngby
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Yes! That should be it. Alternatively you can try adding the TV-Server name to your local host file. That should also work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom