[no Bug] Hanging for 20 sec in startup (getting channels from database?) (2 Viewers)

momo

Portal Member
April 7, 2007
near Aachen
Home Country
Germany Germany
I have done all of that (also the hosts entry), but I still have those 22 seconds where neither the client nor the server seem to do anything.
Any ideas what I can still try?

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have done all of that (also the hosts entry), but I still have those 22 seconds where neither the client nor the server seem to do anything.
    Any ideas what I can still try?

I take it if you ping the server that the response time is acceptable ?

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Try to connect from the client to the server database using a database management tool (eg. MySQL Browser for MySQL or SQL Server Management Studio Express for SQL Server) right after reboot, before starting MP.

If connecting using those tools also takes 20+ seconds, then there is something wrong with your network configuration.

You can also try ping from a command prompt. The important thing is to do whatever test right after reboot, before the server is accessed by any other application to make sure not information is yet cached.

Q: Does the issue occur only the first time you start MP after reboot (or resume from suspend) or every time you start MP?

momo

Portal Member
    April 7, 2007
    near Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    jameson_uk: yes, ping times are below 3 ms

arion_p:
    I will try that later today.
    I assume you mean reboot of the client, not the server, right?
    I have the issue every time I start MP, and always around 22 seconds between those two messages.

Seidelin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2006
    Kgs. Lyngby
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I looked through the old posts I wrote while investigating this issue and found yet another way I solved the issue:

If I under my network adapter* de-activate "register this connection's addresses in DNS", then I no longer have problems resolving the hostname. So your prediction is spot on, I think.

*:
    Local Area connection status -> properties -> TCP/IP V4 -> properties -> advanced -> DNS -> Register this connection's addresses in DNS

Edit: And yet another post with more investigations:
    I think I have found the deeper reason for the long dns query by reading this link:

What's happening, is that for every name lookup, opera & firefox are attempting to resolve via IP6, waiting till it fails (aprox 30 seconds per lookup), then trying again with IPv4.

From reading this I am confident that the deeper reason is that my "not that old" router (Dlink Gaming router DGL-4300 with internal gigabit switch) does not support IPV6 but only IPV4 addresses. For now I have worked around it by doing 3 things:
    1. Referencing my server by ip from client.
    2. Configuring TV-server to bind to the ip-adress in Tv-Server configuration -> TV-Servers -> Change streaming configuration -> choose the ip 192.168.0.178.
    3. And to make sure that it should work no matter what I edited the hosts file to resolve the machine name to ip without querying dns.
    (4. Step added while writing this: Disabling IPV6 on my local network)

If I only did step 1, I would still get a 21 second timeout when connecting to rtsp://servername, when starting first channel.
    Step 3 (and 4) is probably superfluous, but if the server is reconfigured/reinstalled and I forget about it, it might save my a**.

momo

Portal Member
    April 7, 2007
    near Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Seidelin: Thanks a lot, but I think in my case it is not the IPv6 issue.

arion_p: I tried to connect to the server database with another tool and had the same behavior: first time takes long, after that quick responses. So I guess there is something wrong with the sql server setup.
    I think I will reinstall sql server. I will report here if that helped.
    Thanks for your support!

romuz

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 26, 2008
    Moskau
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Ill mark it no bug as issue not related to MP itself.

momo

Portal Member
    April 7, 2007
    near Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I did a complete reinstall of my server (Vista + MP), and my problem is gone :)
    Seems it was a problem with sql server. No idea what exactly (I don't use the data base server for anything else that MP, and it was installed by MP two and a half years ago).
    Anyway, the delay is gone. Thanks again to everybody for the support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom